Video: Not again! Pick-up refuses to let ambulance pass - victim dies of drowning as a result

snoop1130

17 hours ago, evadgib said:

Under a military govt the least each province should expect is some sort of air ambulance service; 

'Hearts and minds' an' all that...

Yiu demand a service from Thai govt. which most wealthy countries don't offer. The wealthiest EU country depends on private rescue services and helicopters. Some rescue vehucles are no betrer equipped than some in Thailand. And while many on TV point fingers at Thais not clearing the road for rescue, nor do all drivers do this in e.g. Germany. 

But may be TV members here forgot what it was like where they came from.

5 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

Thanks for social/cultural anthropology reminder.  I'm sometimes guilty of forgetting to "bob and weave" and/or "smile and wave"....

As do we all. Well, those of us who know how to anyway...

17 hours ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Thailand is a developing country. The culture Thais immerse themselves in from birth is toxic in so many ways, OK for the stone age or the Serengetti perhaps but not OK at all for the 21st Century on the fringes of the civilised world.

Whilst it is understandable, interfering in their lives by trying to apply developed-world cultures to them is a recipe for disappointment and it'll confuse the living Bejasus out of them anyway. Personally I think the approach of naturalists when studying animals in the wild is the right one for developing peoples as well - don't interfere, even to save a life that the natural course of events has decided should end.

I know it's painful, disappointing and unnecessary, but in my opinion, to allow their culture to adapt to modern living or die out - either way, under their own steam - is probably the only realistic approach to take. Thais do not want our advice or the benefit of our experience, they only want our money and I for one have decided they've had more than their share of that so they'll have to look elsewhere.

Thrive or die out, it's their decision, I'm happy to let them make it, to remain a detached onlooker and to learn, even in my dotage, from watching the behaviour of a nation in the middle stages of euthanasing itself. Might be wrong but I don't think there is anything we can do to help them and I stopped trying more or less as soon as I came to that conclusion. Allow them to work through the natural consequences of being a failing society, they'll work it out. Or not.

Sorry not to be more positive but I have learned the hard way to watch stupidity and the consequences of stupidity with alacrity. At least that way I can avoid doing some of the truly bizarre things they do.

I think this is very well put. As a foreigner being invited into their country, and I think most foreigners are this way: At first, we love everything about the country; then we start to critique everything about the country, primarily in a negative way; based on our native countries standards, then we finally come to accept certain things and watch a beautiful country change and adapt and that in itself is a beautiful thing. 

I've noticed a wonderful thing about the current generations in Thailand, 40 years and younger, I think they are starting to figure out for themselves where they stand in this world and how to adapt. So often I see Thai people starting the fence between the old way of thinking and a modern, progressive way, from starting to think about religion, to marriage being possible without Sin Sod to the advancement of individual and societal freedoms, values and mores. 

Reading in between the lines, I think your statement says something similar.

I like that the newspapers are pointing out stuff like this, so we can get an everyday Thai person attention, which hopefully brings out, someday, government attention.

I think, from a whole, larger picture point of view, life is improving, not in the way we always want, but in a way that is Thai. It's interesting to watch as the future unfolds and I'm optimistic about it.

• Like 1

I think this is very well put. As a foreigner being invited into their country, and I think most foreigners are this way: At first, we love everything about the country; then we start to critique everything about the country, primarily in a negative way; based on our native countries standards, then we finally come to accept certain things and watch a beautiful country change and adapt and that in itself is a beautiful thing. 

I've noticed a wonderful thing about the current generations in Thailand, 40 years and younger, I think they are starting to figure out for themselves where they stand in this world and how to adapt. So often I see Thai people starting the fence between the old way of thinking and a modern, progressive way, from starting to think about religion, to marriage being possible without Sin Sod to the advancement of individual and societal freedoms, values and mores. 

I like that the newspapers are pointing out stuff like this, so we can get an everyday Thai person attention, which hopefully brings out, someday, government attention.

I think, from a whole, larger picture point of view, life is improving, not in the way we always want, but in a way that is Thai. It's interesting to watch as the future unfolds and I'm optimistic about it.
Two good observations and summaries.
You can't change anything or anyone.
Do your best here to survive, even it may sound a bit harsh.
And then you can have a good time.
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Riiight. Here's a word to the wise. If you disagree with something someone says, give a reason or state what is wrong. Abuse and sweeping generalisations which mean nothing at all are a waste of your energy and shows everyone who you are and what you're worth.

Your original comment was full of sweeping generalizations and inane babble, so stop trying to come across as 'intellectual' 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

Your original comment was full of sweeping generalizations and inane babble, so stop trying to come across as 'intellectual' 

Nothing to offer friend, kindly go away. If you don't understand what people write then go and learn to read and comprehend.

Dear oh dear.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, curlylekan said:

Optimism is a wonderful thing, though regrettably I don't share it. No matter, it is what it is, and I have 2 good feet to walk away with if it all gets too bad, which I suspect it might.

Thanks for the courteous response, not all have been so polite, the crowd who are in Thailand for cheap beer and cheap women seems to have responded... like Thais and dogs to the sound of a fight. Understanding is a wonderful thing, maybe they'll get some one day, though I suspect the beer will have to run out first.

Cheers.

• Haha 1

Get a stiff fine for not yielding to an emergency vehicle Say  10,000 baht

Start with this guy. There is no reason for not yielding to an emergency vehicle 

An educational televised graphic campaign showing you must yield with over time prove successful 

Thailand should introduce a some new road laws, which should have been introduced years ago. If you impede or disregard moving out of the path of an emergency vehicle with sirens on, whether police, ambulance or fire, a hefty fine by Thai standards of 2000bt should be introduced. And all vehicles on dual lane roads should keep to the left lane unless overtaking. And implement a 1000bt fine. Too much disregard for other road users and the junta needs to get more serious on implementation of more road rules and regulations to hit the back pocket and attempt to get Thailand off the No. 1 position for road fatalities.. 

Edited by owenm
Grammar

Please remember not every country has rules about passing , doesn't the USA allow undertaking? as well as some other country's do too, The UK is the only country I know forces laws that tend to make life more difficult for drivers.

So meny say he could just undertake in left lane NO it will be more dangerous it is the pickup driver there need move and surely he going to hear from police because number plate is clearly but I doubt they could have safe the victim in this short period of time 

This show Thai people mentality 

Never use mirrors and dark windows and laugh music 

My first generation 

2 hours ago, owenm said:

Thailand should introduce a some new road laws, which should have been introduced years ago. If you impede or disregard moving out of the path of an emergency vehicle with sirens on, whether police, ambulance or fire, a hefty fine by Thai standards of 2000bt should be introduced. And all vehicles on dual lane roads should keep to the left lane unless overtaking. And implement a 1000bt fine. Too much disregard for other road users and the junta needs to get more serious on implementation of more road rules and regulations to hit the back pocket and attempt to get Thailand off the No. 1 position for road fatalities.. 

Again just blame the junta 

There are enough rules 

It is about Thai people egos me first generation they don't care about rules 

Do you ever drive on roads in Thailand? 

5 hours ago, Letseng said:

Yiu demand a service from Thai govt. which most wealthy countries don't offer. The wealthiest EU country depends on private rescue services and helicopters. Some rescue vehucles are no betrer equipped than some in Thailand. And while many on TV point fingers at Thais not clearing the road for rescue, nor do all drivers do this in e.g. Germany. 

But may be TV members here forgot what it was like where they came from.

Demand? I merely offered a suggestion although I could perhaps have added that I was part of a team that succeeded in setting up a heli link in the south 15 years ago which floundered after just two lifts after the maggot of corruption raised its ugly head and ruined it.

On 4/25/2018 at 9:04 PM, Thongkorn said:

Thais will. Never learn. Thailand is Lawless. Until Thai people obey Thai law  nothing will change.

Also if the so called medics where probly trained  they could have resusitated the person with just better training.Nobody needs to die from drowning if caught quickly enough.

They hadn't reached the victim. Read the article.

11 hours ago, owenm said:

I think it sounds like a good plan.  in addition I would include vehicle impound, much stiffer fine, community service and if death of the patient being transported can be proven to be directly caused by the non compliant driver then jail time and caning would be indicated IMHO.

The problem with proposing undertaking is that it is a potentially dangerous manoeuvre - the reason it is an offence in the UK and I am sure most other jurisdictions. In Thailand it is an even more risky idea since half the country seems to think it perfectly OK to drive the wrong way up the road or wait watching oncoming traffic until it us nearly upon them before pulling out. If the ambulance driver move to the left to undertake, it is not unlikely he could hit some other moron whom he could not see from his right hand drive perspective. The answer lies in laws and policing but policing is an abject failure in Thailand being governed by the ability to extract money for action (where breaking the law or not is not really a consideration) and the laws are an absurdity for the same reason and designed for use by and protection of the rich - the consequence being the average Thai has no interest in the law and is a self-centered, egotistical, selfish individual anyway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, timewilltell said:

The problem with proposing undertaking is that it is a potentially dangerous manoeuvre - the reason it is an offence in the UK and I am sure most other jurisdictions. In Thailand it is an even more risky idea since half the country seems to think it perfectly OK to drive the wrong way up the road or wait watching oncoming traffic until it us nearly upon them before pulling out. If the ambulance driver move to the left to undertake, it is not unlikely he could hit some other moron whom he could not see from his right hand drive perspective. The answer lies in laws and policing but policing is an abject failure in Thailand being governed by the ability to extract money for action (where breaking the law or not is not really a consideration) and the laws are an absurdity for the same reason and designed for use by and protection of the rich - the consequence being the average Thai has no interest in the law and is a self-centered, egotistical, selfish individual anyway.

LOL good one "and the laws are an absurdity for the same reason and designed for use by and protection of the rich" sounds just like what happens in your home country.  Honestly, you can do better than that.  Or not... :cheesy:

it does not matter what the Thai Govenment says or does. Even passing Laws . Thai people think they are above the law .they do not respect it or follow the Law. Nor do the Thai police enforce it. Wild West comes to mind.

As for U turns . You are supposed to slow down in the outside lane and Join  the outside lane in the direction you want to go. Makes keep left a bit idiotic..

Edited by Thongkorn

They should hire airport van and visa run van drivers to pilot the ambulances.

Those guys have no problem driving at maximum speed, weaving through traffic, driving on the wrong side of the road, you name it.

• Like 1