Hanging internet wires claim motorcycle victim in Khon Kaen - woman, 39, is dead

webfact

2 hours ago, essox essox said:

"Witnesses said that a large high sided delivery van from out of town had dragged down some internet cables near the entrance to the Ken Nakorn Withayalai School "

so the wires could have been at the correct height

No,

no truck is over 5 meters high.

If they were they would not get under any bridges, which are 5 meters high.

The cables as almost everywhere here are very rarely at the correct height.

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

No,

no truck is over 5 meters high.

If they were they would not get under any bridges, which are 5 meters high.

The cables as almost everywhere here are very rarely at the correct height.

I've just been outside to check.

On our side of the road, in the last nine months the PEA have installed new poles and electricity supply. (This is brand new, not replacement, as we were supplied from the other side of the road before)

Looking at the lower bundle of recently installed cables (cable TV, phone, fibre, etc,) the height they are secured to the poles is no more than four metres. (obviously there will be some sag in the middle, making them even lower).

If that group of cables was higher, to get it nearer the five metres your saying, they would be touching the three-phrase domestic mains supply.

As it is right now there's one metre space between the signal cables and the mains.

When I worked for British Telecom, shared use of poles (only ever in rural locations) meant we had to keep an absolute minimum of 1.3 metres below any electric cables.

11 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I've just been outside to check.

On our side of the road, in the last nine months the PEA have installed new poles and electricity supply. (This is brand new, not replacement, as we were supplied from the other side of the road before)

Looking at the lower bundle of recently installed cables (cable TV, phone, fibre, etc,) the height they are secured to the poles is no more than four metres. (obviously there will be some sag in the middle, making them even lower).

If that group of cables was higher, to get it nearer the five metres your saying, they would be touching the three-phrase domestic mains supply.

As it is right now there's one metre space between the signal cables and the mains.

When I worked for British Telecom, shared use of poles (only ever in rural locations) meant we had to keep an absolute minimum of 1.3 metres below any electric cables.

I agree with what you say but, anywhere cables cross roads they have to be at least 5 meters off the ground, otherwise there would be incidents like this 1 in Khonkaen every day.

Edited by colinneil

59 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

We came home from a trip to find no internet connection.  Next morning I found the cable was split at the middle of the road and the ends hanging from both the pole and roof.  People running over both ends.  nobody moved them off the road for us, family or friends.

The T'provider did arrive promptly.  He pulled the slack from between the other post to do a middle of the road splice, cut off some bad cable, did some black taping in other areas, and left a loop hanging over the road (for the next truck I guess).

Technically speaking, he did have a really cool fiber optic splicing tool and his bamboo ladder to rest on the other wires going over the road.

Servicer told my wife that rats ate the cable.  Never did go up the ladder in the house or look at the anchored loop going into the house?

I showed my wife his work and asked her to call the T'provider for a proper repair.  His work was the only wire with a loop and the lowest hanging wire, I think lower than before.  Did she?  "If truck knocks down cable I will call".  So far she is right and told me I think too much.

There goes her four years of Americanization and just two years after early retirement to Thailand.  But there again, that raw Asian thinking and her amazing Asian beauty (59 looks 39) is what drew me to her to begin with.  Glad she did not pick up too much Americanization.  I will slowly assimilate some Thainess over the years ahead but I don't want her to loose that raw Thainess as well.  Just the right mix of Americanization.

I just wish we had gotten a better repair.  I think about it when I see it every day.

Surprise update:

My wife just showed me the same wires hanging down outside.  Must have been running on phone wifi. Told her, see I told you.  She shrugged, already called.  I said tell the service man no loops and put it higher.  She nodded and told me the woman at T'provider told her about a new promotion.  Same service 159 baht cheaper just come and show ID.  You never know in Thailand.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

The newspaper we can't mention is the only I can see that said she was wearing one.

And for the roasting: what a type of helmet saves you from (nearly) being decapitated by a wire?

Her neck became entangled in the wires and she was thrown to the tarmac.

Daily News said she was nearly decapitated and died at the scene.

And it does not even need the "other newspaper" to see that she had a (black) helmet.

Just look at the picture!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I agree with what you say but, anywhere cables cross roads they have to be at least 5 meters off the ground, otherwise there would be incidents like this 1 in 

Yes, OK. I wasn't aware of the five-metre restriction until reading your post.

From what I can see near my house, it looks like the PEA stick to the five metre minimum (as it's their pole), but it's the other users who go below that.

The other users pay the PEA for use of the PEA poles.

I know this smacks of forward planning, but if the PEA produced poles a metre higher, everything could be raised to keep to this five-metre minimum.

Nah, it will never get off the ground (so to speak).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

And for the roasting: what a type of helmet saves you from (nearly) being decapitated by a wire?

And it does not even need the "other newspaper" to see that she had a (black) helmet.

Just look at the picture!

Actually I saw that, but wasn't sure in my own mind it if was a helmet. It wasn't clear enough for me, hence checking other sources.