Just got my Thai Marriage Visa and now I have to leave Thailand for a year

Hello All,

Last month I finally got my Thai Marriage Visa only to find out this weekend that family issues require me to return to the USA for at least a year.   Is there some procedure I need to do with immigration as far as cancelling or putting it on hold untill I return?  Could I just keep it and do my 90 day reporting online?

Thanks for any advice provided!

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Do you have a Non Imm O ME Visa that you obtained from a Thai Embassy Consulate, OR

a 1 year extension based on Marriage from your local Immigration office.

I have a  1 year extension based on Marriage from Chaengwattana.

19 minutes ago, lungjoe said:

I have a  1 year extension based on Marriage from Chaengwattana.

OK thanks for confirming.

If your out of Thailand when renewal is due, your current extension will expire.

You'll have to start the whole process again, preferably by obtaining a single entry Non Imm O Visa in the US (if that's possible)

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

You'll have to start the whole process again, preferably by obtaining a single entry Non Imm O Visa in the US (if that's possible)

Not a problem to get one based upon marriage in the states.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I were you I'd get a reentry permit, never know if you'll cine back early. More importantly, you want to keep the visa extension active and ongoing. It will make reapplication easier.

If you in fact are discussing an actual visa and are ok with another then just bail.

1 minute ago, thaikahuna said:

Make sure you have a re-entry permit and check with the Thai Embassy in DC or one of the Consulates (not the honorary ones) about renewal in case you cannot return within the year.

'Renewing' is not an option. If the OP cannot return before his extension expires the only option(s) he has are to obtain a new visa or enter Thailand with a visa exempt entry.

Hi Lungjoe, Something to think about.

Your marriage extension needs to be renewed annually and you can apply 30 days before it expires.

Some Immigration offices let you apply 45 days prior to it's expiry.

Thus, you will always need to be in Thailand at that time to make the application to extend.

Personally, I spend less than half time in Thailand so I organised my ext expiry for the end of April, after Songkran as I always want to be in Thailand then.

So I can apply from the end of March (my Imm Office only allow 30 days).

Actually, I have a retirement ext because it is less hassle for me than the marriage ext which needs two visits to Immigration over two months to get the full year.

The advantage of the marriage ext is that you can get a work permit if you ever need to and it only needs 400,000b in the bank,

I don't need to work so the retirement is easiest for me.

I arrived with a 90 day non Imm O visa near the end of January one year, so after 60 days (end March) I could reapply, job done.

So, if you have to let your ext expire and then start again, just remember that whenever your ext expires is when you need to be in Thailand to reply, or start again.

Best of luck

• Like 1

Dont worry just go. You will have to make the same application again regardless of you being here or not. No 90 day reports. Get a re entry visa and come back before your visa expires to do the application. Remember the money in the bank. I used to do the family visa but now do Retirement which is far easier. Why would the Government make it easier for retirees and not those with family's and wives?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app