What are your options when you are denied entry?

10 hours ago, torrzent said:

What's with all the dinosaurs and traveler's checks?  Get up to date and travel with bit coin....just be mindful of the rate swings as you could be legal one minute ad illegal the next!

And IO's accept that?

"Part of my objection to carrying cash is that cash is finished as a means of currency." Try to buy something at the market or at a food stall with your card, you will find out how bad you need cash.
Sadly it is shops that are avoiding tax which don't use cards. If they have a cash only business they can take money without declaring it. That is why governments should like non cash businesses.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 hours ago, JackThompson said:

In the USA and some other countries, the IOs have wide-leeway to wreck people's plans without any reasonable cause. 
Thai rules are different, so they can only deny those With A Visa for a few very specific reasons.  Some Thai IOs (some airports and the Poipet/Aranya crossing) seem to resent these restrictions, and have been reported to make up imaginary rules to deny entry to those with Tourist Visas, then stamp something different in the victim's passport.

But when it comes to visa-exempt entry, Thai IOs do have a wider legal latitude to deny entry, so for those staying for longer periods, visa-exempt entries are best made not at all, or only at a land border (other than Poipet/Aranya).  Personally, I never entered by air, even with a Tourist Visa and 20K Baht in cash, after I had a longer series of stays here.  Why risk it?

Jack… Whist I basically agree with your comment that those arriving with a visa are less likely to be hassled by an IO, as opposed to those who wish to avail themselves of a visa exempt (possibly after having obtained a number of them during a relatively short period of time).

However, regarding your comment above concerning a visa holder being denied entry "for only for a few very specific reasons", I would draw your attention to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website – Thailand Visa Information http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15405-General-information.html   In particular to Section 10, which states:

“Royal Thai Embassies and Royal Thai Consulates-General have the authority to issue visas to foreigners for travel to Thailand.  The authority to permit entry and stay in Thailand, however, is with the immigration officers.  In some cases, the immigration officer may not permit foreigner holding a valid visa entry into Thailand should the immigration officer find reason to believe that he or she falls into the category of aliens prohibited from entering Thailand under the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979)”.

The next section, Section 11, then lists the 11 reasons for possibly being refused entry as per B.E.2522 Section 12.

I think that you will find that these reasons for refusal are the same as those that are applied to those hoping for visa exempt.  I would however qualify that by saying that much depends upon the IO and his/her interpretation of the situation at the time.

1 hour ago, 007 RED said:

... “Royal Thai Embassies and Royal Thai Consulates-General have the authority to issue visas to foreigners for travel to Thailand.  The authority to permit entry and stay in Thailand, however, is with the immigration officers.  In some cases, the immigration officer may not permit foreigner holding a valid visa entry into Thailand should the immigration officer find reason to believe that he or she falls into the category of aliens prohibited from entering Thailand under the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979)”.

The next section, Section 11, then lists the 11 reasons for possibly being refused entry as per B.E.2522 Section 12.

I think that you will find that these reasons for refusal are the same as those that are applied to those hoping for visa exempt.  I would however qualify that by saying that much depends upon the IO and his/her interpretation of the situation at the time.

The rules for Visa-Exempts, per the last ministerial order, allows denial for using exempt-entries as "visa-runs".  That said, it is true that visa-exempt applicants often are denied for similar reasons to Tourist-Visa entries, such as thinking modern money-on-plastic is good enough (in accordance with airline policy for Thailand).

Of the legal reasons for denial of entry for those with Tourist-Visas, the ones reported here are no money, insufficient means of support in Thailand (even with the cash), or working illegally.  

It would be helpful if Immigration would issue an order stating what documents would be accepted to prove funds, beyond the 20K Baht worth of cash, in order to to meet a requirement of showing the ability of self-support / not needing to work.  Some have reported IOs refusing to even look at bank-statements, etc.

3 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Some have reported IOs refusing to even look at bank-statements, etc.

The normal holidaymaker does not usually travel with bank statements - those that do are likely not what they claim to be - fit a profile - and are rightly refused entry.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Swimman said:

The normal holidaymaker does not usually travel with bank statements - those that do are likely not what they claim to be - fit a profile - and are rightly refused entry.

Many, when questioned at immigration, offered to show bank-balances via logging into their bank on their phone.  Others have been advised (here) to bring anything they could use - proof of work, income, etc.  Offshore oil workers (a literal gold-mine of foreign-sourced income) have tried to show pay-stubs, etc.

Immigration cannot simultaneously say, "We just decided, without any evidence, that you don't have enough money."  Then, when shown evidence proving their wild-guess was bs, say, "AH-HA - you have proof of adequate-money, so you must be an Imposter."  I am imagining an even a more ridiculous character than Inspector Clouseau saying this.

Note that many consulates require bank-statements to apply for a Tourist Visa. It's a different process, but for the same purpose.

Edited by JackThompson

4 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Many, when questioned at immigration, offered to show bank-balances via logging into their bank on their phone.  Others have been advised (here) to bring anything they could use - proof of work, income, etc.  Offshore oil workers (a literal gold-mine of foreign-sourced income) have tried to show pay-stubs, etc.

Immigration cannot simultaneously say, "We just decided, without any evidence, that you don't have enough money."  Then, when shown evidence proving their wild-guess was bs, say, "AH-HA - you have proof of adequate-money, so you must be an Imposter."  I am imagining an even a more ridiculous character than Inspector Clouseau saying this.

Note that many consulates require bank-statements to apply for a Tourist Visa. It's a different process, but for the same purpose.

Mmm.....  A friend of mine is married to a Thai lady and works overseas- He is never able to spend more than 28 days in Thailand so makes use of VE entries -- He was once challenged by an IO -- He explained his situation and has never been challenged again - he continues to use VE entries.

11 minutes ago, Swimman said:

Mmm.....  A friend of mine is married to a Thai lady and works overseas- He is never able to spend more than 28 days in Thailand so makes use of VE entries -- He was once challenged by an IO -- He explained his situation and has never been challenged again - he continues to use VE entries.

Yet again you are continuing to misunderstand that type of people that Immigration are giving problems to and/or denying

20 minutes ago, Swimman said:

A similar situation here - and many more cases of "get a proper visa" for offshore workers like this guy (though no such visa exists) ...

It's luck of the draw.  There is no consistency, meaningful oversight (at checkpoints or immigration offices) or any reasonable adherence to the actual laws/rules on the books.  Granted, this case was visa-exempt, so IOs had more leeway.  But not dissimilar to the case you mentioned.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Yet again you are continuing to misunderstand that type of people that Immigration are giving problems to and/or denying

You claimed "Others have been advised (here) to bring anything they could use - proof of work, income, etc.  Offshore oil workers (a literal gold-mine of foreign-sourced income) have tried to show pay-stubs, etc."  I provided an example which challenges what you say -- and you then say I 'misunderstand'  I would suggest if there is any 'misunderstanding' it is not mine. 

There is little point in this conversation continuing  - I disagree with your opinion -- OK ? 

12 minutes ago, Swimman said:

You claimed "Others have been advised (here) to bring anything they could use - proof of work, income, etc.  Offshore oil workers (a literal gold-mine of foreign-sourced income) have tried to show pay-stubs, etc."  I provided an example which challenges what you say -- and you then say I 'misunderstand'  I would suggest if there is any 'misunderstanding' it is not mine. 

There is little point in this conversation continuing  - I disagree with your opinion -- OK ? 

No I didn't, somebody else wrote that post, check it

On 4/29/2018 at 8:55 PM, darrendsd said:
On 4/29/2018 at 8:40 PM, Swimman said:

No I didn't, somebody else wrote that post, check it

That quote was from me, but it's not just an opinion - it arises from reading this forum for years.  We have many reported cases on this forum of offshore oil-workers being hassled upon-entry when arriving visa-exempt. 

That said, I hope your offshore-worker friend is not hassled and driven away by immigration, as so many others have been, for the sake of all those Thai people who benefit from him spending his income here.