SURVEY: What is the biggest drawback to living in Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: What is the biggest drawback to living in Thailand?  

330 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 4/29/2018 at 11:26 AM, connda said:

Where else in the world can you be married to a citizen of the country and have absolutely no path to permanent residency, naturalization, or citizenship?

Dubai

On 4/29/2018 at 11:26 AM, connda said:

Boy, this one is a real toss up.

Visa issued immediately come to mind.  Where else in the world can you be married to a citizen of the country and have absolutely no path to permanent residency, naturalization, or citizenship?  It's tough.  And if your spouse dies, marriage over, and the extended family you have been supporting become a non-family by legal decree.  Marriage gives you no rights to pursue happiness within the family unit, or a job, or a means of support unlike the West and most other countries around the world - developed and otherwise.

Not impossible

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thai-permanent-residency.php

In order to apply to become a Thai Permanent Resident, you must meet the following criteria:

• You must have had a Thai non-immigrant visa for at least three years prior to the submission of your application. Holders of multiple NON-Immigrant visas can not apply. You must have 3 consecutive yearly extensions in order to qualify.
  • You must be a holder of a non-immigrant visa at the time of submitting your application.
  • You must be able to meet one of these categories to apply for PR status in Thailand:
    • Investment category (minimum 3 – 10 Mil. Baht investment in Thailand)
    • Working/ Business category
    • Support a family or Humanity Reasons category: In this category, you must have a relationship with a Thai citizen or an alien who already posses a residence permit as a husband or wife; father or mother; or a guardian of a Thai child under 20 years of age.
    • Expert / academic category
    • Other categories as determined by Thai Immigration
  •  

None of the above.  

I have no issues or complaints on the categories the OP listed. The categories seem like noise.

That said for Expats that are married living here on a marriage Visa and built a home with their wife should be able to maintain their status if their wife passes away.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, billd766 said:
15 hours ago, Seligne2 said:

The absence of good public libraries.

Fortunately I have access to Ebooks and I have an Ebook library and about 600 hard copy books that I can access.

moved to Thailand 14 years ago with several crates of books. two of the crates still seaworthy packed and sealed.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Naam said:

moved to Thailand 14 years ago with several crates of books. two of the crates still seaworthy packed and sealed.

I cannot remember how many hundreds of books I have read in the last 10 years, both hard copy and Ebooks. Probably about 1 every 3 days plus now I also try to do a crossword online every day as well.

I try to keep my brain active though the crosswords are from the USA and not too hard but I am working on better ones soon.

2 hours ago, Naam said:

I cannot remember how many hundreds of books I have read in the last 10 years, both hard copy and Ebooks. Probably about 1 every 3 days plus now I also try to do a crossword online every day as well.

I try to keep my brain active though the crosswords are from the USA and not too hard but I am working on better ones soon.

3 hours ago, The manic said:

Whinging expat with Low IQ who wear plastic sandals and vests .

Yes I see them daily, my intellectual brain does not like it. 

I try to ignore them on my way to the mall . 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, balo said:

Yes I see them daily, my intellectual brain does not like it. 

I try to ignore them on my way to the mall . 

They tro to catch your attention and give you a nod, a hi, or smile? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

My sandals come from the Bata shop because they are slip on and easy to wear. With a knackered back and shot to sh1t kneecaps they are comfortable. I don't wear a vest but I do wear a button up shirt.

Yes I will give you a nod, hi, a smile, a good day and go on my way.

If this upsets you then the problem is yours and not mine.

Meanwhile have a great week.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

My sandals come from the Bata shop because they are slip on and easy to wear. With a knackered back and shot to sh1t kneecaps they are comfortable. I don't wear a vest but I do wear a button up shirt.

Yes I will give you a nod, hi, a smile, a good day and go on my way.

If this upsets you then the problem is yours and not mine.

Meanwhile have a great week.

No, at all, it was irony from the tread we had going for awhile ago. We do nod, we do smile and we do let people be alone if they want that. Everything do not have to be so serious, and we all love our flip flopps when we want to chill and hang loose. 

• Like 1

On Sun Apr 29 2018 at 11:05 AM, DoctorG said:

You needed an "all of the above" box.

Meeting simple, straight forward people to begin friendship!so very difficult here...I have met many who say the same, they cannot relocate..same as me!!?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2018 at 8:09 AM, Hummin said:

In order to apply to become a Thai Permanent Resident, you must meet the following criteria:

• You must have had a Thai non-immigrant visa for at least three years prior to the submission of your application. Holders of multiple NON-Immigrant visas can not apply. You must have 3 consecutive yearly extensions in order to qualify.

Hi Hummin,

I've had a multiple entry non O based on children and de facto relationship for the past 10 years, renewing every year. Is this what you mean by multiple non immigrant visas?

So I can't apply for permanent residency with this situation?