Remarkable spitting cobra clip

nickcar

This spitting Cobra arrived on my verandah hunting toads and was bitten by one of my dogs which got its eyes sprayed. It happened while i was away in New Zealand so my poor housekeeper had to deal with it. She managed to wash the dogs eyes and get it to a vet for injection and eye drops and the dog is ok. First time i have seen a cobra of any sort on my property as i keep geese to keep them away. It is clearly very angry, can’t blame it after a substantial bite from the dog hahaha. 

Can anyone give me a definite identity of this snake? It is clearly a spitting cobra but i find it hard to identify exactly.

4A61DD66-1F1B-42EC-9C43-681E8B0B3240.mp4

7 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Did you share it with wifey? It tastes better with a bit Tabasco. :vampire:

We had a  cobra here in the slums t'other day but buggered if I was going to eat anything that comes out of the Pattaya sewers...... When I lived in Isaan I ate a few in soups  but found it too rubbery.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

We had a  cobra here in the slums t'other day but buggered if I was going to eat anything that comes out of the Pattaya sewers...... When I lived in Isaan I ate a few in soups  but found it too rubbery.....

Some Isaan snakes taste like chicken. I've never tried their heads. 

Great video, hats off to your staff.  Glad your dog is ok too. 

You didn't say, but..... what became of the snake?  It did seem to be total fight/defense mode after the dog bite, instead of escaping.

Edited by 55Jay

10 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Yup, big cobras give me the willys... 

Other snakes, no issues :)

Apparently cobras do a lot to avoid violence: noise, standing up, even hitting you with a closed mouth. They're also active, so they'll tend to move away from human activity. It's the vipers - Malaysian, Russells - that give me the creeps. They'll do nothing, and if you plant your foot nearby you get bitten. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig krup said:

Apparently cobras do a lot to avoid violence: noise, standing up, even hitting you with a closed mouth. They're also active, so they'll tend to move away from human activity. It's the vipers - Malaysian, Russells - that give me the creeps. They'll do nothing, and if you plant your foot nearby you get bitten. 

Agreed.  And I'm more worried about the little Cobras you might not notice so easily, especially in low light.  Might not even realize you been bitten.

4 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Great video, hats off to your staff.  Glad your dog is ok too. 

You didn't say, but..... what became of the snake?  It did seem to be total fight/defense mode after the dog bite, instead of escaping.

My housekeeper got the pu yay baan to come over. He tried to catch it but it got away. It has been seen again 500 or so meters away from my house. 

For he who asked if it really spits you can see the venom on the glass of the window. 

Just now, nickcar said:

My housekeeper got the pu yay baan to come over. He tried to catch it but it got away. It has been seen again 500 or so meters away from my house. 

For he who asked if it really spits you can see the venom on the glass of the window. 

Excuse my ignorance..but do all those hooded Conrad spit? Similar cobra lived around where I lived in Goa in 74 but not sure if they were spitting cobras

You have a "monocled cobra (Naja kaouthia).  Marking pattern of a broken broad black band on front of throat indicates that,  but the markings behind the head on the hood would be a much better indicator.  They are known to "spit".  Spectacled Cobras have two distinct black spots on the throat and a King has none. Picture of the back of the head would be more positive in identifying it. I studied them in Bangkok and caught a few before leaving Khao Yai.

Also they are often called an 'Indochinese Spitting Cobra"  but  some experts believe the actually two are separate species.  DNA will confirm that because Thailand can have them all.

Edited by Mrjlh

12 hours ago, The manic said:

Excuse my ignorance..but do all those hooded Conrad spit? Similar cobra lived around where I lived in Goa in 74 but not sure if they were spitting cobras

No, My understanding is that the spitting cobras aim at the eyes and face and are on target 80% of the time, they can bite, my guess is when the face is not visible. Other cobras just bite. 

13 hours ago, Mrjlh said:

You have a "monocled cobra (Naja kaouthia).  Marking pattern of a broken broad black band on front of throat indicates that,  but the markings behind the head on the hood would be a much better indicator.  They are known to "spit".  Spectacled Cobras have two distinct black spots on the throat and a King has none. Picture of the back of the head would be more positive in identifying it. I studied them in Bangkok and caught a few before leaving Khao Yai.

Also they are often called an 'Indochinese Spitting Cobra"  but  some experts believe the actually two are separate species.  DNA will confirm that because Thailand can have them all.

Glad you said that because the pattern on the front neck confused me from the get go, and sent me trawling Google for a while trying to find one with similar coloration/pattern, without much success. 

What led me to believe it was a "proper" spitting cobra was the load of what appears to be venom on the window, and the lunging behavior as the snake continued to spit - although they looked like dry shots by then?    Most vids I've seen, they'll try to escape soon as they think they can, but this fella was sacred to death, and injured.