12 months TIME-OUT with retirement visa

Visa expertise required: I am on a non-immigrant- Retirement Visa (German, 72 years old). Next visit to immigration will on July 7th. I had in mind, after July 7th to leave 12 months for Vietnam and return to Thailand after the absence. Since I will not attend the required control visits (and probably not request a re-entry permit) how will this effect my migration status? Do I have to start again the visa procedure from my country of origin or there are other options?

If you want to keep your current status continuous and be away for "12 months" the only way to do that is to wait until your next annual extension, get a reentry permit, leave for a little bit UNDER 12 months (before the expiration of the last extension), reenter, and then immediately apply for a new annual extension. 

But it sounds like you intend to not bother keeping your last extension alive.

In which case, yes, you must start over and your previous record is completely irrelevant.

Common methods --

OA from home country

or new 90 day O visa in Thailand as part of a two part process with the second part being a new extension

In both cases, definitely more work than just getting a new extension. 

• Thanks 1

The easiest way would be to get a new 12-month retirement extension before you leave and get a re-entry permit. As long as you return just before the extension expires you will be able to renew it again. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GeKoSc said:

Since I will not attend the required control visits (and probably not request a re-entry permit) how will this effect my migration status?

If you renew in July you might as well get a single entry re-entry permit at the same time. It only costs 1,000 baht. Then if you return before the re-entry permit expires you will be able to re-enter and apply for a new extension of stay in 2019 with the least hassle.

2 hours ago, GeKoSc said:

Do I have to start again the visa procedure from my country of origin or there are other options?

If you leave, without a re-entry permit, and let your permit to stay end you don't need to start again from your country of origin. You might be able to get a new Non 'O' visa in Vietnam, or you can enter as a Tourist (tourist visa or visa exempt) and apply for a Non 'O' visa in Thailand.

Edited by elviajero
  • Thanks 1

I was under the impression (possibly dated) that the Thai embassy in Vietnam was a very unfriendly place to get a new O based on retirement. 

Also, it's harder than it used to be even in Malaysia and Laos. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I was under the impression (possibly dated) that the Thai embassy in Vietnam was a very unfriendly place to get a new O based on retirement. 

You're possibly right. It's a long time off before they would need to apply so things could change one way or the other. It's getting harder everywhere; the embassies seem to be pushing people to the 'O-A'. Only actual retirees can get the 'O' in the UK now.

• Like 1

You have an extension of stay based on retirement, not a Visa.

It will have a 'permitted to stay until (date) stamped on it.

After this date your extension will have expired and you have to start the process again.

You may find it difficult to get a new Non Imm O 90 day Visa.

If you get a 60 day Tourist Visa to re-enter Thailand you can change the Visa type to a Non Imm O at your local Immigration office.

You must have at least 15 days permission to stay valid on your TV. (Do it after 30 days back in Thailand).

You also have to show the same funds as you currently do for your retirement extension. 

The Non Imm O allows you to stay another 90 days, but within the last 30 days you can apply for an 1 year extension based on retirement, just as you did before.

16 hours ago, elviajero said:

You're possibly right. It's a long time off before they would need to apply so things could change one way or the other. It's getting harder everywhere; the embassies seem to be pushing people to the 'O-A'. Only actual retirees can get the 'O' in the UK now.

To clarify, actual retirees (in receipt of state pension) can only get the single entry Non Imm O in the UK.

Those married to a Thai can still get the single or multiple entry Non Imm O.