Visa for Thai visiting UK for 1st time (2).....

My girlfriend/unmarried Thai partner of 12yrs is soon going to apply to visit me for the 1st time in the UK this summer. The UK.gov. online application info. states the Standard Visitor Visa she needs is for 6mths. I would like her to stay for 3 mths but Im wondering if she is less likely to get the visa if asking for such a long period when she is claiming that she has dependent children to return to. She does not work and I support her totally financially and have no problem in sponsering her visit financially. Im thinking that it might be better to request just a one month's visit. What I want to know is if she does this would she, if successful, still get issued with a six month visa enabling her to stay longer?

Your g/f must persuade the Entry Clearance Officer that she has good reason to return to Thailand. The ECO's are aware of the arrangements that are often made for children to negate having to return. As this is her first application I would suggest she plans a short visit and sticks rigidly to what she tells the ECO in her application. All Visitor visas are issued with a 6-month validity but are often refused if the ECO is not satisfied there is a good reason to return. If your g./f  stays in the UK for a longer period than indicated in her application she will jeopardise any future application. 

Edited by Swimman

Requesting a month for a first visit visa is a good decision. If she does stay for longer you will need to explain why in the next visa application.

My girlfriend who is now my wife had no problems staying for 18 weeks after requesting a month. She was made redundant from her job while she was away and as a result, she had no reason to rush back.

Just be careful if you are relying on the kids as part of her reason to return. What else are you using as her reason to return?

And make sure she knows the contents of the visa application so that she can confirm anything that is asked if they call her. I created a "cheat sheet" for my wife that she kept handy in case she received a call.

12 hours ago, rasg said:

Requesting a month for a first visit visa is a good decision. If she does stay for longer you will need to explain why in the next visa application.

y

My girlfriend who is now my wife had no problems staying for 18 weeks after requesting a month. She was made redundant from her job while she was away and as a result, she had no reason to rush back.

Just be careful if you are relying on the kids as part of her reason to return. What else are you using as her reason to return?

And make sure she knows the contents of the visa application so that she can confirm anything that is asked if they call her. I created a "cheat sheet" for my wife that she kept handy in case she received a call.

Im afraid that she only has a rented home and chanoots for her ownership of 3 building  plots of land.

12 hours ago, rasg said:

Thanks for the 'cheat sheet' tip.