Medical check for work permit

53 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

People have been saying the same thing for years ever since syphilis was added to the list. All I can say is I never had a problem with a form that included syphilis but not the blood test results.

Anyway, I'm sure Bumrungrad know what they're doing so I would just go there and accept their expertise.

But requiring a blood test for syphilis has nothing to do with Bumrungrad and their "expertise". It is all about the Employment Department officer looking at your paperwork, his/her interpretation of the requirement and whether they will accept your medical form without the blood test. As I mentioned earlier, the officer at Chamchuri One Stop told me it was required. I would rather just go ahead and get the damned blood test rather than risk being turned away and having to waste another day going for the blood test and then queuing again at One Stop.

Edited by bubba

10 minutes ago, bubba said:

But requiring a blood test for syphilis has nothing to do with Bumrungrad and their "expertise". It is all about the Employment Department officer looking at your paperwork, his/her interpretation of the requirement and whether they will accept your medical form without the blood test. As I mentioned earlier, the officer at Chamchuri One Stop told me it was required. I would rather just go ahead and get the damned blood test rather than risk being turned away and having to waste another day going for the blood test and then queuing again at One Stop.

Clearly the customer facing people at One Stop don't actually makes decisions about whether to accept or reject an application. I've never heard of anyone who has been rejected in Bangkok with a medical certificate with all six diseases. It depends how strongly you feel about giving blood for no reason.

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 6:13 PM, ubonjoe said:

How would that site be of any help. The MFA has nothing to do with work permits.

On that site it points out the requirements that is needed to get a work permit, no where does it say a medical is required.

31 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Clearly the customer facing people at One Stop don't actually makes decisions about whether to accept or reject an application. I've never heard of anyone who has been rejected in Bangkok with a medical certificate with all six diseases. It depends how strongly you feel about giving blood for no reason.

Really? You know of someone with all six diseases on their medical certificate and they didn't get rejected? I am surprised that the applicant was able to make it up to the counter.

Your statement "clearly the customer facing people at One Stop don't actually makes decisions about whether to accept or reject an application" is not exactly accurate. I am assuming you have done visa extensions and work permits a few time, as I have for 19 years. For most of those years, no medical certificate was required at all. So when you have done yours, did you notice how carefully they scrutinise every piece of paper and tick off each of the required ones? I do not know whether they are in a position to reject an application, but they are clearly in a position to not accept the application due to incorrect or insufficient paperwork. All I can say is that the last time I did mine (August last year), I asked the officer if the blood test was really required and she said yes it was. That was at One Stop Chamchuri and I have no experience elsewhere.

As for "giving blood", no I do not have a problem with a 5 cc blood draw if it will ensure that my application is not turned away, which would result in wasting another day getting the test done and going back to Chamchuree. Are you scared of needles?

Edited by bubba

29 minutes ago, chainarong said:

On that site it points out the requirements that is needed to get a work permit, no where does it say a medical is required.

I cannot find that info here. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"B"-(for-Business-and.html

It only mentions a work permit is required.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I cannot find that info here. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"B"-(for-Business-and.html

I only mentions a work permit is required.

I believe those are the the requirements from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for a non-imm B visa.

A work permit is an entirely different application under the authority of the Ministry of Labour. They are the ones that require a medical certificate for their work permit application.

Just now, edwardandtubs said:

Not scared of needles but as I've never needed to in the past in spite of multiple claims on Thai Visa that it's necessary, I see no reason to start doing it now.

Ok, that's good.

So now you have a "claim on Thai visa" that the blood test was necessary. I have no reason to misrepresent that. I am only offering my experience in the hope that it might be helpful to others who may be headed to the same office where I do my WP, where I was told it was necessary.