Comey says Mueller should get 'open-ended' interview with Trump

webfact

Comey says Mueller should get 'open-ended' interview with Trump

By Sarah N. Lynch

2018-05-01T015820Z_1_LYNXMPEE401I4_RTROPTP_4_USA-COMEY.JPG

Former FBI director James Comey speaks about his book during an onstage interview with Axios Executive Editor Mike Allen at George Washington University in Washington, U.S. April 30, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Former FBI Director James Comey offered some advice on Monday for Special Counsel Robert Mueller: Press President Donald Trump to sit down for a completely "open-ended" interview in the probe of alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

"In any interview with a subject, I would want to make sure I had unlimited time," Comey said, when asked his opinion during a packed event at George Washington University sponsored by a local bookstore.

Comey said the ideal parameters would include an interview that is "open-ended as to time, open-ended as to subject" and ensure the person had a "clear understanding that you are obligated to tell the truth and failure to do so would be at your peril."

Comey's firing by Trump last May paved the way for Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein to hire Mueller to investigate the meddling allegations and possible collusion between Trump's campaign and Russia. Mueller is also probing whether Trump obstructed the investigation.

Comey, who took detailed notes of his interactions with Trump, said later he believed Trump fired him to undermine the FBI's Russia probe.

Russia has denied interfering in the election. Trump has denied any collusion or improper activity and called the Mueller investigation a witch hunt.

Previously, Trump said he would be willing to sit down for an interview under oath with Mueller.

But a recent FBI raid on the offices and home of his personal lawyer Michael Cohen could make that less likely.

Trump has since added former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani to his legal team to help deal with Mueller's investigation.

Speaking before a friendly audience, which often broke into applause, Comey spoke about his observations of Trump, Mueller's investigation and the impact Trump's presidency is having on the American political landscape.

He said that in a normal environment, a sitting president would not be able to avoid an interview about his conduct.

"As an American citizen, I would expect my president to respect the rule of law ... and to cooperate with a lawful, appropriate investigation," he said.

Monday's event was the latest in a series of media interviews that Comey has given in connection with his bestselling book, "A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership."

Trump and other Republicans have blasted Comey and challenged assertions he made in the book.

(Reporting by Sarah N. Lynch; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-05-01
  • Like 1

"open-ended as to time, open-ended as to subject"  in an ideal world.

I wouldn't worry too much. Giving Trump the questions in advance still won't be enough to keep him from running off at the mouth, and we know he doesn't listen to his lawyers, so why would this time be different? He's smarter than anyone else. Just ask him.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hogs said:

Course he would he is in deep doo doo and needs Mueller to continue to try and set up the President 

Mueller has gone beyond looking for Russian collusion even when its been proven there WAS NONE 

I would steer well clear of Mueller so I was not set up

Laugh my butt off....

where there’s smoke, there’s fire.... hopefully mueller can fan the embers, and burn down trumptopian towers.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hogs said:

Course he would he is in deep doo doo and needs Mueller to continue to try and set up the President 

Mueller has gone beyond looking for Russian collusion even when its been proven there WAS NONE 

I would steer well clear of Mueller so I was not set up

Obviously you know people inside the investigation that will probably last at least 1 more year ?.  

2 hours ago, jcsmith said:

It's never been proven that there was none lol. The Devin Nunes lead intelligence committee stopped their investigation short and made a political claim they found no evidence of collusion... This despite not pursuing threads that could lead to it. The Mueller investigation continues.

Nunes said they interviewed 75 witnesses and so far found nothing.  Shiff, the goofball, says they did not interview enough. Christ, one year and what have they got?  Nothing.  Let's Shiff point out the smoking gun here and maybe I will change my mind.  They had time to interview everyone on the Trump campaign staff, who is left for Shiff to talk to? Where is the link of Russians to Trump?  All these investigations and that has yet to be pointed out. 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Trouble said:

Nunes said they interviewed 75 witnesses and so far found nothing.  Shiff, the goofball, says they did not interview enough. Christ, one year and what have they got?  Nothing.  Let's Shiff point out the smoking gun here and maybe I will change my mind.  They had time to interview everyone on the Trump campaign staff, who is left for Shiff to talk to? Where is the link of Russians to Trump?  All these investigations and that has yet to be pointed out. 

Nunes is a liar.  Be patient- The link to Trump will be shown or proven not to exist in due course.

• Thanks 2

Open-ended interview, like the 11 hours the tribunal spent questioning Hillary about Benghazi?

He couldn't take it, he'd start to quake within the first hour.  By hour number 3 they'd have to send in the guys with the white coats with a straight-jacket and thorazine.

But it would be a whole lot more entertaining.  By hour 2 he would start contradicting what he said in hour one, and the inquisitors would constantly be telling the technicians "play back to where he said...."

If only....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Open-ended interview, like the 11 hours the tribunal spent questioning Hillary about Benghazi?

He couldn't take it, he'd start to quake within the first hour.  By hour number 3 they'd have to send in the guys with the white coats with a straight-jacket and thorazine.

But it would be a whole lot more entertaining.  By hour 2 he would start contradicting what he said in hour one, and the inquisitors would constantly be telling the technicians "play back to where he said...."

If only....

He could have done it, but now he's lost his personal physician, you know, the Candyman.   He could have given him a chill pill so he could sit still.   

• Haha 1