TM30 and temporary stay in long term rented condo

Even reading through somes threads concerning TM30 here on TV I am confused.

I have rented an apartment during a short holiday beginning this year in Na Jomtien, but have never stayed there even one day. It was meant as a preparation for retirement. My Thai wife and me are living in Switzerland.

Now we are coming to Thailand with a METV to stay for 2 months, then go to Vietnam for 1 month and return for another 2 months to LOS before heading home again.

The first week after arrival we will stay at an hotel in BKK, but once we move into our rented apartment questions arise.

Please help me to verifiy my assumptions and correct them if necessary that I know what to do to comply with the regulations:

•      I understand that a TM30 is required. In BKK the hotel will do that but once we move in the rented apartment I understand that the Landlord (or his representative) has to file the form with immigration at Jomtien. If he does not within 24 hours then this is not my problem whatsoever.

•       The TM30 should be probably handed in twice (one initial for the first 2 months and then again after entering from Vietnam for the second 2 months period before going home again.

•       I am completely unaware of any procedure (if any) when we leave to Switzerland again. The rental contract will be renewed since we are retiring definitely January 2019, but this should not matter as long as we do not stay in the condo.

If you never need to do anything at immigration you don't really have to worry about the the TM30 form.

If you decide to a 30 day extension of one of the 60 day entry from your visa you will need to do one before doing it a Jomtien immigration.

Do you have a rental agreement for the condo? A copy of it along with copies of the owners house book registry and ID card would be need to submit a TM30 form.

Are you aware you could of gotten a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai that allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date it is issued.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks ubojoe.

And thanks as well for the non-o visa suggestion. I never thought of that one. But we are happy with two times 60 days stay this time.

The next time we come in January 2019 I will do so with a non-o visa based on retirement.

11 hours ago, moogradod said:

The next time we come in January 2019 I will do so with a non-o visa based on retirement.

You may have a problem getting a non-o visa based upon being over 50 for retirement. They are difficult to get now.

You can get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage and then extend the 90 day entry from it based upon retirement.

Now I'm confused. You are saying your condo manager will be doing the reporting and that you do nothing. I keep reading about the renter AND the owner/manager having to file a TM30 upon arrival. Plenty of reports of renters paying fines. Is the difference that you hope to have no other dealings with immigration? What if your manager didn't file?

32 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

Is the difference that you hope to have no other dealings with immigration? What if your manager didn't file?

If you don't need to do anything at a immigration office there is not need to worry about the report being done. If the owner/manager does a report it still would not be a problem.

Immigration does not go out looking for people that did not the report. 

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you don't need to do anything at a immigration office there is not need to worry about the report being done. If the owner/manager does a report it still would not be a problem.

Immigration does not go out looking for people that did not the report. 

My prediction: if you don't have a TM30 (hotel would file online and print out a copy) you will not be able to do anything that requires a passport: change money, renew phone or wifi, board an airplane, for example. 

15 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

My prediction: if you don't have a TM30 (hotel would file online and print out a copy) you will not be able to do anything that requires a passport: change money, renew phone or wifi, board an airplane, for example. 

That will never happen.

I own a condo in NaJomtien. I arrive on August 10 on Visa exempt.

Just for giggles, I will take a copy of my chanote, passport, TM6, pix of condo, etc., and go register for a TM30 at Jomtien Immigration. I don't plan on having any interaction with immigration this trip, but you never know.

If I could speak Thai, I would bribe a bus driver to bring a bus full of Chinese tourists staying at an unlicensed hotel to immigration to register for TM30s, just to gum up the gears.

For the tourists, it would probably be more entertaining than the Floating Market.

On 2.5.2018 at 2:46 AM, ubonjoe said:

You may have a problem getting a non-o visa based upon being over 50 for retirement. They are difficult to get now.

You can get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage and then extend the 90 day entry from it based upon retirement.

Why are you saying that ? Must be country specific. Here in Switzerland the requirements have even become less strict - skipping the need for a rental contract - if you do have sufficient funds I believe it will be a no brainer here. And if it turns out differently - Thai Elite - but I see no reason for that right now.

20 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Why are you saying that ? Must be country specific. Here in Switzerland the requirements have even become less strict - skipping the need for a rental contract - if you do have sufficient funds I believe it will be a no brainer here. And if it turns out differently - Thai Elite - but I see no reason for that right now.

I think you meant a OA (non-oa) long stay visa not a non-o visa.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 6:42 PM, ubonjoe said:

If you never need to do anything at immigration you don't really have to worry about the the TM30 form.

If you decide to a 30 day extension of one of the 60 day entry from your visa you will need to do one before doing it a Jomtien immigration.

Do you have a rental agreement for the condo? A copy of it along with copies of the owners house book registry and ID card would be need to submit a TM30 form.

Are you aware you could of gotten a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai that allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date it is issued.

Obviously some changes are going on, at least in Pattaya. Arrived for a 58 days stay and wanted to do TM30. My Landlord says that it is not possible only for the 58 days, it must cover the whole rental period, regardless of my staying in the country or not. I thought the purpose of the TM30 is to keep track of the actual adresss - so after I leave after some weeks, the TM30 period ends. Misunderstanding ?

Edited by moogradod
sent to early

On 5/2/2018 at 7:46 AM, ubonjoe said:

Could you expand on that statement, please.? I have had yearly extension of stays since 2015, from  a Non O based on retirement. Should I anticipate problems in future?? This is the first I have heard of them being hard to get.

Edited by KhunFred

10 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Could you expand on that statement, please.? I have had yearly extension of stays since 2015, from  a Non O based on retirement. Should I anticipate problems in future?? This is the first I have heard of them being hard to get.

The was for getting a non-o visa at an embassy or consulate. Nothing to do with extension of stay.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunFred said:

An extension of stay is not a visa --  It is your permission to stay which is being extended not the '0' visa which is now expired and of no further use.