Mosque blasts kill at least 27 in northeast Nigeria

webfact

Mosque blasts kill at least 27 in northeast Nigeria

By Percy Dabang and Emmanuel Ande

2018-05-01T202704Z_1_LYNXMPEE402OL_RTROPTP_4_NIGERIA-SECURITY.JPG

Members of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) evacuate casualties from the site of blasts attack in Mubi, in northeast Nigeria May 1, 2018. NEMA/Handout via REUTERS.

YOLA, Nigeria (Reuters) - Explosions in and around a mosque in northeast Nigeria killed at least 27 people on Tuesday, a hospital official said, in the latest in a spate of attacks by militants in the region.

The blasts in the town of Mubi bore the hallmarks of Islamist militant group Boko Haram, which has waged an insurgency in Africa's most populous country since 2009 and often deploys suicide bombers in crowded places.

The jihadist group on Thursday carried out an attack in Maiduguri, capital of neighbouring Borno state, that killed four people.

More than 30,000 people have been killed in the insurgency, which has also forced some two million to flee their homes.

Abdullahi Yerima, police commissioner in Adamawa state, said a suicide bomber struck at the mosque at around 01:00 p.m. (1200 GMT) and a second bomber detonated a device some 200 metres (220 yards) away as worshippers fled.

Ezra Sakawa, chief medical director of Mubi general hospital, said 27 people died and 56 were injured.

Earlier police said about 24 people had been killed and more than a dozen were hurt.

Boko Haram held territory in Adamawa state in 2014 but troops pushed the insurgents out in early 2015 and Mubi was relatively peaceful until a suicide bomb attack in November 2017 that killed 50 people.

Insecurity has become a politically charged subject in the run-up to a national election next year. President Muhammadu Buhari, who took office in 2015 with a promise to end Boko Haram's push to create an Islamic state in the northeast, has said he wants to seek another term.

The bombings on Tuesday are the latest in a string of attacks in the northeast.

Mubi is around 200 kilometres (124 miles) away from Maiduguri where last week's attack was the second in a month. At least 15 people were killed and 83 injured when militants descended on the city in early April.

The government has said since December 2015 that Boko Haram has been defeated. But the insurgents have carried out a number of high profile attacks in the last few months, including the kidnap of 111 schoolgirls from the town of Dapchi and a strike in the town of Rann that killed three aid workers.

Nigeria's government in March said it was talks with Boko Haram, which split into two main factions in 2016, with the aim of securing a permanent ceasefire. It did not disclose details of the faction with which it had held discussions.

A map produced by the U.S. development agency in February and seen by Reuters shows Islamic State in West Africa, which split from Nigeria's Boko Haram, controls a swathe of territory in the states of Borno and Yobe which are next to Adamawa.

(Writing by Alexis Akwagyiram; editing by John Stonestreet and Peter Graff)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-05-02

4 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

I do not

when I talk about Christian sectarianism and violence; I am talking about the present day. That such violence rarely, if ever, makes into the Western media is a question for the editors of said media. I suspect that, since the end of most of the sectarian violence in Northern Ireland, it's because the victims are not Westerners.

Just one example: https://www.thedailybeast.com/yes-there-are-christian-terrorists

Extremists are always intolerant of all others; whether they be religious extremists, political extremists, those who believe their particular race is superior to all others etc..

Only another extremist of one kind or another would believe all those of a particular religion, political belief or race etc. share the views and aims of the extremists who claim to represent that religion, political belief, race etc..

The rest of us, thankfully the majority, are united in our desire to defeat the extremists and terrorists, no matter their raison d'etre.

I don't disagree with anything you just posted. I am more than happy to point out evil wherever and whomever it comes from.

Oh and I wasn't thinking about anyone specific when I mentioned the Crusades. But still, thanks for the clarification.

Edited by MajarTheLion

On 5/5/2018 at 6:09 PM, 7by7 said:

I do not

when I talk about Christian sectarianism and violence; I am talking about the present day. That such violence rarely, if ever, makes into the Western media is a question for the editors of said media. I suspect that, since the end of most of the sectarian violence in Northern Ireland, it's because the victims are not Westerners.

Just one example: https://www.thedailybeast.com/yes-there-are-christian-terrorists

Extremists are always intolerant of all others; whether they be religious extremists, political extremists, those who believe their particular race is superior to all others etc..

Only another extremist of one kind or another would believe all those of a particular religion, political belief or race etc. share the views and aims of the extremists who claim to represent that religion, political belief, race etc..

The rest of us, thankfully the majority, are united in our desire to defeat the extremists and terrorists, no matter their raison d'etre.

Would it be rude to point out that before someone becomes a muslim radical/extremist/terrorist, they're are first a muslim? So logically, allowing muslim migration increases the risk of associated terrorism.  Experience has taught us that however nice, and grateful for the opportunity, the migrants are, it is their offspring who become radicalised, causing a problem much harder to eradicate.

The problems most children of immigrants suffer due to lack of home education in basic language and cultural skills, are compounded by the teachings of their religion and the practise of marrying cousins, leading to lack of success and resentment of those who "fit" their society.

While immigration to western countries is great for immigrants, the costs involved to the citizens of those countries are very high, far outweighing any benefits.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, halloween said:

Would it be rude to point out......................

Not rude; but completely and totally inaccurate.

I assume that as you are anti immigration that you live in the country of your birth, or have returned to the country of your ancestors birth were they immigrants.

Or do you believe that your race and or religion immigrating to another country is beneficial to that country and it's only towelheads and other <deleted> who should be kept out?

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

Not rude; but completely and totally inaccurate.

I assume that as you are anti immigration that you live in the country of your birth, or have returned to the country of your ancestors birth were they immigrants.

Or do you believe that your race and or religion immigrating to another country is beneficial to that country and it's only towelheads and other <deleted> who should be kept out?

I live in 2 countries, and in both I am welcome. Care to point out the claimed inaccuracies?

56 minutes ago, halloween said:

I live in 2 countries, and in both I am welcome. Care to point out the claimed inaccuracies?

Well if 7by7 doesn't, I will.

First you incorrectly claim that one has to first be a Muslim to be a Muslim extremist/terrorist. You must have missed the various westerners (most likely former Christians) that joined IS and AQ.

Experience has taught no such thing as what you say about offspring of immigrants. Furthermore your assertion about lack of 'home education & basic skills' is total nonesense & points to ignorance  or more likely bias about the subject.

Their religion is part of their lifestyle, just as with all religious adherents of any denomination. As far as marrying cousins goes, it does happen with Muslims as well as Christians. The British royal family and hooray-henry class is riddled with inter-family marriages & offspring.

The cost to normal fair-minded citizens of immigration is nil, just some help with integration sometimes. Immigrants want to work and certainly do, when allowed to, and contribute taxes as like anyone. The dole-bludging accusations by the merchants of hate is usually a tissue of lies.

One final point. In (especially) the US & UK the right-wing racist & bigoted media influences too many gullible citizens with complete fabrications about immigrants. It's not helped either when the likes of Trump repeats some nonesense he's seen on Fox and his gullible supporters think it's fact.

Edited by khunken