Cost of living

I have been researching a new beach life place for me.. Ao Nang.. Koh Samui.. Phuket and Hua Hin. 

I have travelled to all these places except for Hua Hin. From looking at Facebook groups.. and numbeo.com information.. Hua Hin is "expensive". My budget for a nice studio condo or small furnished house in any of these places is 12.000.. is this doable in Hua Hin.. Near the beach.. Out of town a Bit? How about a small meals out.. in line with Bangkok or Chiang Mai? Cheers. 

In Hua Hin look at the south end of Khao Takiab - past that rock with the golden buddha statue on it. This is both out of town (cheaper) and near the beach.

There's a decent beach down there (better than the one in town) and you should be able to rent something for 12000 a month quite easily in one of the big apartment blocks / complexes down that end.

A load of people live in the JamJuree Condo complex which has pools, is apparently right on the beach and from what I've heard you can get a small condo or studio for that kind of price.

For a little more than that you can get a full townhouse with many rooms which suggests to me that the condos are overpriced even though by western standards they're real cheap.

Edited by ukrules

Plenty of rooms at the same price as Chiang Mai, around 6kbht a month.

Food is the same price, I was eating at several restaurants for 40-60bht a meal.

I like the main beach and near the pier, was there a couple of months back.

More bars and bar girls than CM, I was quite surprised at the levels of night action available.

I stayed at the Euro City Hotel near the Station, 400bht/night through Agoda.

Cheaper by the month, a bit run down, but only a 5 minutes walk straight down to the beach.

Not far from the Naughty Soi 80, or BintaBaht bar areas.

IMG_20180317_092529_PANO.jpg

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I've been living in huahin for last 10 years. I pay 7000 baht for 2 bedroom house, +living room, bathroom, all utilities. 8 min ride from the beach.

Lots of food  markets, with amazing and cheap food. I cook mostly myself anyway. Lots of restaurants, bars, places to go, places to see, things to do.

Near bkk if u need to go there. And can totally relax on a long, clean (most of time) and SANDY beach.

For sexpats is considered a boring place.  Huahin is mostly a family orientated place, perfect for families with kids. It is full of retirerees.

But there is also  a night lifebars, clubs, red light district. Just on a smaller scale- for those who care to know.

City is quite small compared to pattaya or phuket.  Its easy to move around on motorbike. But on weekends and holidays gets crowded with hordes coming from bkk.

IMG_20180501_064720.jpg

Edited by Stokakrishna
  • Like 1

If you are trying to go the CHEAP CHARLEY bit to live here GO HOME and GET A JOB then when you can afford it come back.If you have to ask then  yes you are trying to beach bum your way here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

@1happykamper

I haven't been to Hua Hin but it is definitely not such a happening, beach resort as either Ao Nang or parts of Phuket.

I love rock climbing. Ao Nang has access to some of the best climbing in the world. I'd go there if I wanted to do more outdoors stuff.

Phuket has many beaches and beach life is certainly possible. It's probably more expensive than Ao Nang.

There's much more you can read about these places. The main thing is that you can probably cross Hua Hin off your list.

Have you considered Khao Lak, 70km north of Phuket?

3 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

If you think hua hin was expensive then forget samui unless you want to live in a shack !!

You can rent a newly built condo on Samui for 10.000 per month, three minutes walk to Chaweng beach. 

• Like 1

I have visited, but never lived on Samui.

I have lived in Phuket (Rawai-Nai Han), Ao Nang (Ban Chongplee), Hua Hin. Plus Phang Nga (Khao Lak), Chiang Mai, and Udon. You can find a place in any of them for 12k baht/month. The difference is what you get for your 12k .

My best bang for the buck was Nai Han: town centre, 3 BR, 2 Ba, kitchen, garden, furnished.

Udon was the cheapest: 1 BR, 1 Ba flat,  good kitchen.

I am renting downtown HH: 2BR, 2 Ba, good kitchen, garden and I am just over your price limit. My number one criterion is a decent working kitchen.

I found Ao Nang to be the most expensive and least desirable place that I have lived since being here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AsiaHand said:

If you are trying to go the CHEAP CHARLEY bit to live here GO HOME and GET A JOB then when you can afford it come back.If you have to ask then  yes you are trying to beach bum your way here.

bitter much?

• Like 2

On 5/3/2018 at 9:34 PM, Lacessit said:

The OP is trying to elicit information. You are making unwarranted assumptions about his finances.

So you've never asked the cost of anything here before buying? That doesn't sound like an Asia Hand to me.

Do let us know when you have something useful to contribute to the thread.

That seems to be elusive for this  one month long  possibly  newly reincarnated member  of TVF.    

He doesn't seem to care about agreement of  others or making friends.    :smile:

Water balloon maybe?

Edited by watcharacters

On 5/3/2018 at 11:45 AM, AsiaHand said:

If you are trying to be a NASTY CHARLEY you are succeeding...... 

On 5/3/2018 at 9:13 PM, watcharacters said:

Just curious.   

Why the aggressive tone   in reply to a simple question?

Many of his posts are similar, being unpleasant is just his nature it seems.

3 hours ago, watcharacters said:

That seems to be elusive for this  one month long  possibly  newly reincarnated member  of TVF.    

He doesn't seem to care about agreement of  others or making friends.    :smile:

Water balloon maybe?

I understand there are some TV members ( no names, no pack drill ) who change their ID's and avatars, but not their character.