AC 'pump' not working in Honda City

My AC hasn't been working properly. Not anywhere as cool as it used to be. (345000 kilometers} Took it to an AC repair shop and after a close investigation  he said my pump is kind of shot. I asked him what the damage was and he said about 9-10 thousand Baht for a new pump. He said he can do it but would take 5-6 hours. If I took it top the Honda dealer he told me it would probably be close to 20 thousand baht. Since he is located upcountry he told me I could easily find a good repair shop in Pattaya that could do it. 

Can anyone recommend a reliable AC repair shop in Pattaya or surrounding area? Thanks

I used a place in "bahn amphur" about 10 km south of Pattaya on the Sukhumvit (ill try post Google map tomorrow) you can get a new "compressor" or a reconditioned one for a lot cheaper..but either way they should change the drying filter,flush the system,pull a vacuum then introduce new coolant....it will take a while...if there is a leak somewhere it could take quite a bit longer.
I think 9000 is towards the top end but not unreasonable.

• Like 1

Hi Johng. Thanks for your excellent reply and map. Did I get the name of the repair shop right? Something like 'P Jae Air'? Next to the Garmin shop. Not far from the Bridgestone store. If I am driving towards Bon Amphur from Pattaya on Sukumwit, would the shop be on the right or left. Sorry, my map reading skills need improvement. No matter, I am sure I will find it. 

Cheers

1 hour ago, transam said:

gas/oil mix replaced

The shop will/should check that first (he did with mine)  normally there is a little sight glass and you can see the coolant bubbling trough it or not, if the seals in the compressor are gone then topping up the coolant is just wasting money, a few hours/days it will be dry then running the compressor dry will cause even more damage..not that it really matters to the cost ( of recondition compressor)..but  bits can get into the system  then if not flushed out properly can damage the new compressor..so I'm led to believe.

4 minutes ago, johng said:

The shop will/should check that first (he did with mine)  normally there is a little sight glass and you can see the coolant bubbling trough it or not, if the seals in the compressor are gone then topping up the coolant is just wasting money, a few hours/days it will be dry then running the compressor dry will cause even more damage..not that it really matters to the cost ( of recondition compressor)..but  bits can get into the system  then if not flushed out properly can damage the new compressor..so I'm led to believe.

I don't know about the new type of compressors but the old piston type did rely on lubrication for longevity. Just my thought that if the mix hadn't been changed in that 345kkm it may have worn the thing out...

I never had my 2003 Honda City serviced anywhere else than with Honda. If I had to replace the pump I would do it only with Honda. I wouldn't trust these outside shops very much. I'm due for my 270 K service tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

Just now, Dario said:

I never had my 2003 Honda City serviced anywhere else than with Honda. If I had to replace the pump I would do it only with Honda. I wouldn't trust these outside shops very much. I'm due for my 270 K service tomorrow morning.

If one has the cash then fine..Quoted 10k for something at Toyota that l got fixed and upgraded outside for 3.5k....:stoner:

Honda does not make AC compressors. So if you buy a new one in a Honda box all you are buying is a genuine Honda box. The compressor comes from a supplier. In response to a bid placed with Honda. Could be any one of a number of different manufacturers.

But if it makes you feel good at nite - pay the extra 300 percent, if not more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Honda does not make AC compressors. So if you buy a new one in a Honda box all you are buying is a genuine Honda box. The compressor comes from a supplier. In response to a bid placed with Honda. Could be any one of a number of different manufacturers.

Makes sense what you write. The extra 200 percent, you meant.

Edited by Dario

Bought a new set of plug wires - Genuine AC Delco

Made in Mexico. But no problem. The supplier fills the bid to the manufacturers specifications. If not up to snuff, they are not invited to bid for that company again.

Global supply and demand, or that set of wires would be $300 bucks if made in N. America

19 hours ago, johng said:

google street view of the shop I used

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.8218356,100.9164756,3a,66.8y,84.68h,90.37t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s1efqRjGyWjbcM3rOCJfAjw!2e0

7000 baht for reconditioned compressor with "3 months warranty"

new filter and new coolant + new motor for condenser fan in the engine bay.

I can also recommend this shop.

They replaced the compressor on the wife's 1990 Nissan Sunny with a second hand one and it's still going strong.

6,000 baht was the cost.

If you have a Thai partner I'd let them do the enquiry. Just a thought.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

This all true but sometimes you get lucky,  for a older car like my brother he takes it to Honda for service he met a kid who works on the side for Honda. He told him to check out this second hand shop down on Sukhumvit near the Amphur and the way they drive here sure enough plenty of original parts from smash up Honda's, he was able to get radiator, AC motor, windshield wiper motor,  for fraction of the cost and Honda original but of course not in a box.

Before you go spending heaps of money on new pump,have tech connect gages check if any gas in system,compressor are protected with a low pressure switch,means if gas leaked out of system low pressure switch cuts power to pump,345 ks is nothing for air con pumps,check around belt pulley with ultra violet light as seals at front of pump has failed,ultra violet light will pickup the dye used in aircon sys which will indicate a leaking seal.