Deputy Mayor Apologises for Unmaintained Sewer Grid That Severely Injured a Student

snoop1130

Deputy Mayor Apologises for Unmaintained Sewer Grid That Severely Injured a Student

by CityNews

S__10469391-1600x900.jpg

CityNews – The Deputy Mayor has apologised for poorly kept pavements after a student tripped over a sewer grid and severely cut her leg, requiring 12 stitches.

The incident occurred on April 28th when a Chiang Mai University student tripped on a sewer grid on a Suthep Road pavement, causing her to fall and suffer a deep cut to her leg that went through the rusty metal.

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/deputy-mayor-apologises-unmaintained-sewer-grid-severely-injured-student/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2018-5-3

Ouch, that looks nasty (see the linked article), I hope it doesn't get infected.

Did the grid actually get repaired after the workers were sent to sort it?

• Like 1

No one seems to maintain these dangerous grills.   Is there a weight limit for them?

I've seen so many appearing to be nearly collapsed and yet no one cares.

Thank goodness no nanny state anywhere   around here..     555

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

Ouch, that looks nasty (see the linked article), I hope it doesn't get infected.

Did the grid actually get repaired after the workers were sent to sort it?

It looks worse than nasty, it looks like it was incompetently stitched.  I'm no doctor, but wouldn't using about three times as many stitches speed up healing and leave less of a scar?

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

when a Chiang Mai University student tripped on a sewer grid on a Suthep Road pavement,

Because she was glued to her smart phone and not watching where she was going. My mother tripped on flat , smooth well maintained pavement. It happens everywhere.

Sad for the girl. That will leave a mark.

It would help if all the food carts were removed from the footpath giving pedestrians more room to walk after all isn't that what a Footpath is for!!!!!    I mean it's not called a foodpath now is it.  Then there would be no brown envelopes handed around silly me it is early morning and brain still in Chang mode

• Like 1

8 hours ago, heybruce said:

It looks worse than nasty, it looks like it was incompetently stitched.  I'm no doctor, but wouldn't using about three times as many stitches speed up healing and leave less of a scar?

The stitches appear to have been performed in a very unprofessional manner using suture material that is inappropriately thick for the nature of the wound.  Looks more as if it would normally be used for a larger animal than a human.  Incidentally, it is not the number of stitches used but how they are put in place.  Those will probably leave a nasty looking scar.  I have had several major surgeries and none of my stitches looked like that although the nature of the operations meant that I do now have scars but not like that will be.  In Canada, and in the U.K., many operations are now closed using laser or staples.  Both help with faster healing and slightly less unsightly scars.

Edited by wotsdermatter
  • Like 1

I saw a broken grail on Sukhumvit Jomtien years ago large enough for a motorbike to have fallen into. It was left like that for DAYS! No cones or other reflective warning devices, someone just stuck a tree branch in it. T.I.T.S.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, heybruce said:

Whoever stitched that must have been DUI!  That scar's going to stand-out like a third leg!

Incompetency knows no bounds.

Unmaintained infrastructure is the rule and the norm.  Sidewalks are in bad shape generally in Chiang Mai, that is if they even have sidewalks that you can walk on.  More often than not, holes, broken grates, broken utility covers, signs, utility poles, trees, parked motorcycles and cars take up the sidewalks forcing pedestrians into the street.  The government does nothing, so a wai is what you get if unmaintained infrastructure cause you bodily damage. 
In the West, you can hammer negligent governmental agencies for significant punitive damages via a jury based civil suit. That generally is the catalyst for change.  Here?  No juries.  So damages and compensation boil down to a wai and an apology, and therefore nothing changes. 
You walks the streets and you takes your chances.  TIT.  Welcome to the Land of Smiles (and unfriendly sidewalks). 
I guess if you want to walk around on safe sidewalks, you need to go to the justices shiny new world-class neighborhood on Doi Sutep, although no doubt the unwashed masses would not be allowed in.  Two tiered infrastructure right along with all other things: the top tier for the anointed elite; the bottom tier for everyone else - Thai and foreigners.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2018 at 6:17 PM, watcharacters said:

No one seems to maintain these dangerous grills.   Is there a weight limit for them?

I've seen so many appearing to be nearly collapsed and yet no one cares.

Thank goodness no nanny state anywhere   around here..     555

Put a length of bamboo in the hold and that is what is called 'maintenance.' 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, connda said:

Put a length of bamboo in the hold and that is what is called 'maintenance.' 

Good one connda,

I recall where one was completely gone in a condo complex whee I lived  and the property manager chose to simply put a chair on one end of the opening.   I guess she thought at night it would self illuminate.   It was about 2 X 3 feet in dimension.    Not small..

It eventually got replaced and I was the one to thank the manager and bring her the bad  news that the grill was too large for the opening.      I'll never forget the look on her face which shouted "I'll never get them to do the work again on a guaranteed basis."        Kind of how I may have felt as a farang.     :smile: