What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Pan

We mixed up the times of the movie we wanted to see, and ended up seeing Pan instead. Well worth it. More black in parts than i would have expected, but plenty of good effects and continual action. Aimed more at kids, but enjoyable enough for anyone.

Showing now at cinemas in Thailand

• Like 2

Sicario

I was surprised by this one, not following a typical storyline or script. . A few minor blemishes, but overall, engrossing and enjoyable. 7/10 from me

Showing now in Bkk, but might finish this week.

Liked it very much. I was pleasantly surprised that they did not turn Emely Blunt's character into "wonder-girl with superpowers". And I found the conflicts that her character had with the old guys, who clearly crossed all lines, rather believable. Not to mention the action scenes. Great stuff.

Once I see a copy with subtitles, which will let me understand the conversations in Spanish I might give it even a 9/10. smile.png

• Like 1

Sicario and Black Mass are the two movies I have been waiting to see.

In the mean time I have just finished watching Narcos, which I thought was great and now I am half way through True Detective season 2, which has started to get pretty good, but not as good as the first season.

• Like 2

I've probably just noticed what you all knew forever, but there are more and more full length films available now on youtube. Many of them are hi-res and fairly recent. I love the old 40's - 70's films for the clothes, the cars, and the snappy old school patter.

Reaching Waayyyyyy back: I went on a binge and watched three different versions of the immortal story Tom Brown's School Days. The best version was the 1951, filmed on location at Rugby School, with Robert Newton as Dr. Arnold, the Victorian era radical education reformer. But Sir Cedrick Hardwick is also great in the same role the 1940 edition. This story has been remade almost as often as A Christmas Carol (Greatest Scrooge: Alastair Sim, or George C. Scott?). I think it must epitomize the essence of what it is (or once was) to be "English." Or at least the boys who became the men that made the Empire.

Edited by Frank James
  • Like 1

Tv series - Beck

This Swedish series has been around for ages but it's the first time I've seen it
with English subs. Season 5 was on the BBC 4 hence the subs I guess.

Watched episode 1 last night and really enjoyed it. Only 4 episodes per season
which are about 90 minutes long.

IMDB: Commissioner Martin Beck and his eccentric partner Gunvald Larsson investigate murders in the flawed social structure of Stockholm, Sweden

• Like 2

Tv series - Beck

This Swedish series has been around for ages but it's the first time I've seen it

with English subs. Season 5 was on the BBC 4 hence the subs I guess.

Watched episode 1 last night and really enjoyed it. Only 4 episodes per season

which are about 90 minutes long.

IMDB: Commissioner Martin Beck and his eccentric partner Gunvald Larsson investigate murders in the flawed social structure of Stockholm, Sweden

Just finished this one and thought it was great.

The star of the show is Beck's offisder Gunvald Larsson

• Like 2

'The end of the tour' surprisingly is an excellent movie. Extremely well written and although i didn't warm to some characters but thats v much a personal thingy,v well acted,, i'de go oscar nominated good. A must see film imo.

• Like 1

A new series Jekyl and Hyde starts tonight ,so should be on torrents by tomorrow ,lots of blood and gore if the papers are anything to go by .

Watched episode 1 today.

This version really isn't my cup of tea I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Bridge of Spies

Showing in Thai Cinemas now

Not too bad, but at 2 hours, is too long, and some passages had me staring into my popcorn cup for long minutes, determining whether i was selecting Caramel or Original flavoured pieces. My Thai friend was completely lost and spent half the movie, with her phone inside the shelter of her handbag checking facebook

Tom Hanks puts in another good performance, but the movie itself holds few surprises. Bad Russian. Good Americans. 6/10

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 2

Bridge of Spies

Not too bad, but at 2 hours, is too long, and some passages had me staring into my popcorn cup for long minutes, determining whether i was selecting Caramel or Original flavoured pieces. My Thai friend was completely lost and spent half the movie, with her phone inside the shelter of her handbag checking facebook

Tom Hanks puts in another good performance, but the movie itself holds few surprises. Bad Russian. Good Americans. 6/10

Thanks for that. Was wondering what it is but to lazy to look it up. smile.png Moving on...

Edited by jope
  • Like 2

Bridge of Spies

Geez BookMan

I wouldn't be expecting another date from your Thai "friend".

Taking her to see a movie on the cold warfacepalm.gif

• Like 2

Am in the Philippines & just saw an advert for a "new" series called "The Strain".

Looks good, anybody seen it?

Yes both series ,escapist rubbish , , all about the devil coming back ,people turning into monsters , with long tongues killing everyone , i liked itthumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Bridge of Spies

Geez BookMan

I wouldn't be expecting another date from your Thai "friend".

Taking her to see a movie on the cold warfacepalm.gif

5555... we have seen a few together and that's the first time she has gone for the phone.

Pre movie, she thought it was going to be an action movie... I could sense she was in the mood for The Little Prince...but I wasn't

You are right about the cold war movie though. Before, and even more so after, I was surprised at the number of showing times the movie had

• Like 2

Am in the Philippines & just saw an advert for a "new" series called "The Strain".

Looks good, anybody seen it?

Yes both series ,escapist rubbish , , all about the devil coming back ,people turning into monsters , with long tongues killing everyone , i liked itthumbsup.gif

A number of posters on here gave teh series the thumbs up

• Like 2

A new series Jekyl and Hyde starts tonight ,so should be on torrents by tomorrow ,lots of blood and gore if the papers are anything to go by .

Watched episode 1 today.

This version really isn't my cup of tea I'm afraid.

Yes just watched episode 1 as well,looked a bit stupid ,will watch episode 2,but if it doesn't get better,that's it

The Last Kingdom, not bad for what it is, another Vikings invade Britain series. Up to epsisode 3

And watched all of "Public Morals" season 1. That was quite good! 1967 New York plain clothes cops department. Lot's of violence, semi-nudity, story is good, charachters well played.

• Like 2

For us few, us very few, who care about The Leftovers: the surviving (and even a non-surviving) characters from season one are back and all receive their own little episodes to show how they move on. Main question right now: will "it" or did "it" already happen again? Nicely done so far, keep up the good work, people.

And for those who were not into season one: do not bother to watch! You would not understand... smile.png

Edited by jope
  • Like 1