What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Power, gents... Get on it...

That is all wink.png

I enjoy "Power". The bad black guy seems to be more of hero, but the bad white guy is looking more and more like a mental case.

I still like "The Last Ship," if there is nothing else to watch. I may be the only one though.

No, Sir, you are not! :-)

My God ,not two of you watching it ,how much do they pay you?biggrin.png

• Like 2

Power, gents... Get on it...

That is all wink.png

I enjoy "Power". The bad black guy seems to be more of hero, but the bad white guy is looking more and more like a mental case.

I still like "The Last Ship," if there is nothing else to watch. I may be the only one though.

No, Sir, you are not! :-)

My God ,not two of you watching it ,how much do they pay you?biggrin.png

What can I say? It sometimes hurts. But I find Rhona Mitra extremely attractive. The rest is PR for the US Navy and... that's perfectly fine with me! smile.png

I like a good prison movie so looking forward to Starred Up:

Also has Aussie Ben Mendelsohn in it.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2567712/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A troubled and explosively violent teenager is transferred to adult prison where he

finally meets his match - a man who also happens to be his father.

Would appreciate it if anyone finds out where I can find itwhistling.gif

Watched this one the other night Trend Setters.

It was quite brutal and the 2 leads Jack O'Connell and our

boy Ben Mendelsohn are both fantastic.

If you like prison movies, this one fits the bill.

I watched this one last night. I have seen a lot of prison movies in my time, but never a one more bleak and brutal than this one. I had to laugh at the scene where in a group therapy session one of the inmates says he's glad he's not in a US prison ("They shank ya in there"). I think this particular prison is at least as dangerous as almost any you would find in the US. Not speaking from experience here.

It held my interest, that's for sure. A worthy effort. B-plus.

• Like 1

I like a good prison movie so looking forward to Starred Up:

Also has Aussie Ben Mendelsohn in it.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2567712/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A troubled and explosively violent teenager is transferred to adult prison where he

finally meets his match - a man who also happens to be his father.

Would appreciate it if anyone finds out where I can find itwhistling.gif

Watched this one the other night Trend Setters.

It was quite brutal and the 2 leads Jack O'Connell and our

boy Ben Mendelsohn are both fantastic.

If you like prison movies, this one fits the bill.

I watched this one last night. I have seen a lot of prison movies in my time, but never a one more bleak and brutal than this one. I had to laugh at the scene where in a group therapy session one of the inmates says he's glad he's not in a US prison ("They shank ya in there"). I think this particular prison is at least as dangerous as almost any you would find in the US. Not speaking from experience here.

It held my interest, that's for sure. A worthy effort. B-plus.

If they think thats rough They should try a British prison, they confiscate your x box there .!!

If they think thats rough They should try a British prison, they confiscate your x box there .!!===I, Claudius

I'm confused now. I thought this was (is) a British prison. The credits said it was funded by the Scottish Film Trust, and the N. Ireland Film trust, and funded also through the National Lottery. I thought the guys were all more or less British, if only because they seem to mumble "innit" a lot, apropos of nothing. (That is, when they're not conjugating the verb "to <deleted>>", or calling each other "f ' ing c--ts". The accents were tough going for me. Wish there was a subtitle track. I could pretty much follow what was going on, mostly through the actions of the characters. More than half the time they were fighting, or threatening to fight. They weren't discussing Great Ideas of Western Thought.

As for conditions, I noticed that in this prison the inmates are allowed to smoke, and have lighters. Most, if not all US jails and prisons now ban smoking.

If you're looking for a prison movie that is more...fun (?) I recommend Mel Gibson's How I Spent My Summer Vacation. (Viva Mexico!)

A brief update on "The Leftovers" (no, that has not been cancelled): episode 5 opened with some shocking pictures. Seriously, anybody who is more into "romcom" should not watch it. Later a telephone call between the Sheriff and an agent from a federal agency revealed some shocking information. The episode was not just about people coping with a disastrous and mysterious event but seemed to widen the picture and indicate some action and development on a larger scale. Looking forward to the next episode.

If you're looking for a prison movie that is more...fun (?) I recommend Mel Gibson's How I Spent My Summer Vacation. (Viva Mexico!)

I liked that one too. I also liked "Animal Factory," based on the book by Edward Bunker (who spent many years in prison). Some good actors like Willem Defoe, Edward Furlong, Mick Roarke and others.

• Like 2

Manhattan,

Drama about inventing nukes, 1st episode out today.

Am I the one who has to say it? Alright then: "Manhattan" is boring, conventional, over-serious, adjusted to political correctness, lacks wit, has artificial and wooden dialogues and I am not motivated to care for any single character of the show. I hope for a decisively better second episode. After that, I'm out. (sigh).

I liked that one too. I also liked "Animal Factory," based on the book by Edward Bunker (who spent many years in prison). Some good actors like Willem Defoe, Edward Furlong, Mick Roarke and others.

Ah, yes, a very good movie, based on the work of one of the greatest crime writers who ever lived, Edward Bunker. He had cameo roles in Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs ("Mr. Blue"), and in the GREAT movie (10/10, with a Bullet!) "Straight Time", starring Dustin Hoffman in his finest performance ever, as Max Dembo, also based on the writings of Mr. Bunker (sadly R.I.P). I've read all of Bunker's books. There is not one drop of BS in any of it. "No Beast So Fierce" is his best. Mr. Bunker describes himself as "State Raised", having been all the way from juvenile hall to San Quentin and Folsom Prison, toward a final redemption and deliverance.

Check out Straight Time, if you can find it. Also has solid performances by (babe-a-licious) Theresa Russell, M. Emmett Walsh as the low life parole officer, a young Gary Busey as an unreliable accomplice, Kathy bates as Busey's miserable wife, and best of all Harry Dean Stanton as Max's last partner. All time great!

Well, Halt and Catch Fire is almost finished, one more episode to go. I like the show a lot, but can't see where they can go from here. Don't want to drop in any SPOILERS (!), but the Comdex episode (no. 9 of 10) was pretty damn good, maybe the best yet. I still think Bosworth is the coolest guy on the show, rock solid working class guy with no BS, unlike pretty boy Joe, who is about one cut above "slick con man, avoid at all costs."

Back next season? Who knows?

• Like 2

Ah, yes, a very good movie, based on the work of one of the greatest crime writers who ever lived, Edward Bunker. He had cameo roles in Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs ("Mr. Blue"), and in the GREAT movie (10/10, with a Bullet!) "Straight Time", starring Dustin Hoffman in his finest performance ever, as Max Dembo, also based on the writings of Mr. Bunker (sadly R.I.P). I've read all of Bunker's books. There is not one drop of BS in any of it. "No Beast So Fierce" is his best. Mr. Bunker describes himself as "State Raised", having been all the way from juvenile hall to San Quentin and Folsom Prison, toward a final redemption and deliverance.

Check out Straight Time, if you can find it. Also has solid performances by (babe-a-licious) Theresa Russell, M. Emmett Walsh as the low life parole officer, a young Gary Busey as an unreliable accomplice, Kathy bates as Busey's miserable wife, and best of all Harry Dean Stanton as Max's last partner. All time great!

Another excellent prison movie is A Prophet, a French movie. Subtitles included.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1213205-prophet/

• Like 2

I haven't "found" this one as yet Trend Setters but the reviews are superb.

Undercover AKA Pod Prikritie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1909015/?ref_=nv_sr_1

IMDB: The specially trained agent Martin has been appointed to the most dangerous mission

in Bulgaria - to go undercover in the gang of the mafia boss Djaro.

I read somewhere it is being distributed internationally this year.

It looks great.

• Like 2

While I was reading on other websites people's reactions to Halt and Catch Fire, and whether it might be renewed, the comparison to AMC's Low Winter Sun came up. AMC had high hopes for that one, but it never caught on, ratings-wise. I watched all of the episodes, mostly because I like Mark Strong. He and Lennie James, two very good British actors, playing American cops, AGAIN. The City of Detroit, which has enough problems already, was made to look like a very sad, miserable place. The cops were all various shades of corrupt, and spent the whole series trying to cover up a major misdeed. Grim stuff, indeed. All along I was wondering, if they get away with their big, um... mistake, what the hell will they do next season? They made that evil crew on The Shield look like boy scouts.

A worthy effort, but...

• Like 2

Just watched a few choice bits from Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. Brilliant stuff. Looked up his show after reading an article about him in the Guardian. Some of you may have seen that one.I find him easier to take than Jon Stewart. Stephen Colbert's whole act has gone a bit stale, and I can't take more than a few minutes of Bill Maher, even though I agree with him much of the time. He's snide and condescending, and disrespectful to those with opposing points of view. I miss the great wits of yesteryear, like Steve Allen, Jack Paar, the earlier Johnny Carson, Dick Cavett, Gore Vidal, and William F. Buckley. Showing my age, I realize. Well, now we have this Oliver guy, and Graham Norton is pretty sharp.

Just watched a few choice bits from Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. Brilliant stuff. Looked up his show after reading an article about him in the Guardian. Some of you may have seen that one.I find him easier to take than Jon Stewart. Stephen Colbert's whole act has gone a bit stale, and I can't take more than a few minutes of Bill Maher, even though I agree with him much of the time. He's snide and condescending, and disrespectful to those with opposing points of view. I miss the great wits of yesteryear, like Steve Allen, Jack Paar, the earlier Johnny Carson, Dick Cavett, Gore Vidal, and William F. Buckley. Showing my age, I realize. Well, now we have this Oliver guy, and Graham Norton is pretty sharp.

I haven't watched Oliver's new show yet, thanks for reminding us I'll take a look. He really is terribly talented, and after filling in for Stewart during that long hiatus cemented his right to have his own show.

One of the greatest wits in a place you'd never think of it was Louis Rukeyser, Wall St. Week, great PBS program.

While I was reading on other websites people's reactions to Halt and Catch Fire, and whether it might be renewed, the comparison to AMC's Low Winter Sun came up. AMC had high hopes for that one, but it never caught on, ratings-wise. I watched all of the episodes, mostly because I like Mark Strong. He and Lennie James, two very good British actors, playing American cops, AGAIN. The City of Detroit, which has enough problems already, was made to look like a very sad, miserable place. The cops were all various shades of corrupt, and spent the whole series trying to cover up a major misdeed. Grim stuff, indeed. All along I was wondering, if they get away with their big, um... mistake, what the hell will they do next season? They made that evil crew on The Shield look like boy scouts.

A worthy effort, but...

Thanks, not watched Low winter sun, just downloading the 10eps.

Can't imagine Detroit being portrayed as worse than it actually was when I lived there.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

A worthy effort, but...

I guess I read the same article: "Low Winter Sun" was cancelled although it had better ratings than "Halt...", but "Halt..." is better in specific demographics and it is better rated on rotten tomatoes etc..

But still no word from AMC. I am still hoping...

I definitely agree, "Low Winter Sun" was a great show. And I like Lennie James since I saw him in "Line of Duty". I wonder, if he could play in a comedy? Seems that he is more into sinister characters. I still think it is a shame that they did not continue "Low Winter Sun", the ending (fantastic) opened the opportunity to do so. Well, the ratings...

(BTW: talking about "sinister", I want you to know that I gave up. After reading all the posts including the spoilers, I watched "Rectify". Took me two episodes to like it but than I was in completely. Reminds me of the Israeli "Prisoners of War", particularly the sister. What happens, when you reach your goal? Waiting for the next episode now. Will there be a third season?)

A worthy effort, but...

Thanks, not watched Low winter sun, just downloading the 10eps.

Can't imagine Detroit being portrayed as worse than it actually was when I lived there.

Detroit, for all its troubles over the last few decades, was, is, and always will be, one of America's truly great cities. Where would American popular music be without all of the great artists who have come from there? The world's auto industry owes Detroit a great deal, and it seems they are slowly returning, although it will never be what it was.

I read that the State of Michigan gave the show a great incentive to film there. It seems that the show went out of its way to show the shabby side of the city. Even now, there is much more to Detroit than that.

If I ever lived in America again, I would pick Detroit over the super-gentrified to death Northwest city I came from (starts with an "S"). Detroit is coming back. It's got SOUL.

Couple of new shows:

Finding Carter - nothing to do with "Get Carter" films! Just watched the first two episodes back to back pilot. Its a bout a girl that is returned to her real family at 16 after being abducted at 3 - her "mother" (the kidnapper) was a great mother to her (in her opinion) and is now on the run - her real mother is a cop and damaged by years of thinking her daughter was dead and hunting for the killer. Actually much better than it sounds - give it a try smile.png

Matador: Just watching the pilot right now - let you know. Write up: “Matador” – is centered on Antonio “Matador” Bravo, a popular soccer star and playboy whose sports stardom is a cover for his other life as a covert operative executing missions for a little known branch of the CIA. He uses his notoriety as a way of getting access to powerful and villainous types, but is forced to confront questions of his true identity in balancing his dual roles. (bit like I Spy with the Tennis Player spy cover)

I just forced myself to watch episode 2 of „Matador“. After the first episode I thought that this show is utter crap (no offense to anybody who likes it, just my individual and very humble opinion!) but I thought that of „New Girl“ and „The Mindy Project“, too, and then they developed rather nicely to become two of my favorite regulars. So, I gave „Matador“ another shot and I was heavily disappointed.

The whole setting reminds me of a Benny Hill sketch („Cheapo Productions“). Couldn’t they have booked at least a 4-star instead of a 3-star hotel for the opening scene?. The acting (if you can call it that) is right out terrible. The football scenes (soccer) are insufferable (picture European actors pretending to be professional Baseball players, then you have it). I find the whole setup very 80s, better: cheap 80s. The storyline would not work in reality but this is TV so why not. If only there was something that could be perceived as suspense. Three things I liked: the villain in the openings scene had a German accent (nothing beats a villain with a German accent, not even a Russian accent :-) ) and he made the best (and only) joke so far. And the female agent is good looking (but cannot walk in heels properly. Bummer!). That’s about it!

I cannot recommend the show. I’m out!

Yes likewise. I put the second episode on, but got so bored that I spent the whole time facebooking with it playing to itself mostly. Off my list also.

FRASIER, absolutely brilliant

A classic, so to say smile.png .

After "Frasier", who would have thought that Kelsey Grammar could play this vicious mayor of Chicago so well in "Boss"? And why do they always cancel the shows I am really into and they keep the crap I hate? It must be me, I guess.

• Like 2

FRASIER, absolutely brilliant

A classic, so to say smile.png .

After "Frasier", who would have thought that Kelsey Grammar could play this vicious mayor of Chicago so well in "Boss"? And why do they always cancel the shows I am really into and they keep the crap I hate? It must be me, I guess.

I liked "The Boss" too.

• Like 1