What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

I did not know that about Julia.

I like her in 'Veep'

If "Veep" is not funny, I do not know what is. As it is loosely based on "In the Loop" I would usually root for the British original rather then the American remake. But I think that "Veep" is so far away from the original that it can be seen as a completely new show. And are they not both fantastic. Looking forward to the next season of "Veep", particularly now that she is President, i.e. she and her "team" can mess up on the highest level. You go girl!

I am assuming that with her financial background she will probably donate her presidential allowance to a good course.whistling.gif

I've followed Julia over the years and have always considered her one of the best comedic actresses of all time, nearly in the league of Lucille Ball. Of course, her best work was Seinfeld. Personally, she is one of a very rare breed of extremely wealthy kids who was not brought up spoiled, and in fact, just the opposite. She made her entire fortune of $200 million on her own if you can believe it. Her father is old school and wanted his kids to claim their own stakes in life. Of course, with a family like that, I'm sure she got some breaks, but she deserves all the credit.

Another similar case is Anderson Cooper. He is the CNN personality and newsman. His mother is Gloria Vanderbilt, the great, great granddaughter of the 3rd richest American of all time. He also did it on his own.

• Like 1

The Thailand Ladies National Volleyball Team will be back on television over the next two weekends, going up against five of the world's top ranked teams. Next weekend (Aug 8 -10) they will play Italy, China, and Japan. Those latter two will be out for blood, after being defeated soundly by our ladies last season. That will take place in Hong Kong. The next weekend (Aug 15 - 17) they go up against Dominican Republic, USA (!), and Brazil (World No. 1) in BANGKOK.

I just wasted two hours on the Thai version of Ticketmasters trying to get tickets, but the 15,000 seat arena is sold out, probably has been for weeks. They could probably sell out a venue twice that size. These ladies are STARS! I notice this year they are all sporting braces on their teeth, which apparently is a fashion accessory among young Thais. (?) There's even a commercial featuring Onuma and Pleumjit, all dolled up, flashing their braces. The commercial is for System A, a special toothbrush for people who wear braces. Glad the ladies are getting paid finally for serving this nation so beautifully.

My personal favorite player? Number 12, Tapaphaipun ("Bamee") the pride of Khon Kaen. Shortest girl on the front line, but she can "skywalk" like David Thompson, and smack the hell out of that ball. I love them all. Go Thailand!

• Like 1

Personally, she is one of a very rare breed of extremely wealthy kids who was not brought up spoiled, and in fact, just the opposite.

I always wonder what Clint Eastwood's kids turned out like. My buddy was a steward on Warner Brother's private jet and he ferried movie celebrities around the world constantly. He really had a lot of respect for Clint and said that Mr Eastwood insisted on carrying his own bags and taking care of himself and made his children do the same.

• Like 2

Outlander

New Sci-fi romance adventure tv series out today.

WW2 nurse is thrown back in time to 1750 Scotland.

Thanks for that ,will give it a look:thumbsup:
Just watched the first episode ,not to bad ,will give it a go , just hope it doesnt start to go downhill ,like so many series seem to , like the dome for instance ,or last ship ,mind you that hit rock bottom first episode ,then started digging:D

I just watched it too,

Not Sci-fi but fantasy.

Lead actress looked nothing special for most of the show, but my god, she looked fantastic in the nudy sex scene!

What a body.

Yup, I just watched it too, and it is starting kind of interesting. I hope it doesn't degenerate into a chick flick series. There is a lot of misogynist chat on IMDB chat boards that this babe needs more sex, so she might get more in the 17th century I guess than from her husband in the early 20th century. wub.png

Edited by keemapoot

Hey Suits Fans! Did you know that today is the BIRTHDAY of BOTH Megan Markle and Abigail Spencer!!?? That's right! Megan was born in Los Angeles and Abby was born in Gulf Breeze ? Florida. They are both 33 years young. (Aug 4, 1981)

Rachel (Megan) is getting a lot more face time this season to show off her prodigious acting skills, while Abigail shines on Rectify, after quietly leaving the cast of Suits.

It's also Billy Bob Thornton's birthday. He's a crusty old 59 year old dawg, but man, what a good actor. Can't wait to see what he comes up with next. I'd like to see him in a caper movie with John Malkovitch. Ray Winstone, and Sir Ben Kingsley. (What, a sequel to 44 Inch Chest? You crazy, man!)

Folks, now's the time to be getting on Power and Ray Donovan (S2) both seasons are about to go nuts!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Watched the final episode of Power on Sunday night.

Looking forward to season 2 next year.

As far as Ray Ray goes, I'm waiting for a few more episodes so

I can binge watch them.

I watched the first two episodes of The Honourable Woman, and I confess, I might not be smart enough to "get" this one. I'm struggling to figure out who all these people are, what they're doing, and why I should care. The whole thing has a John LeCarre feel to it, which I always enjoy. I mean, it's a well written effort with high production values, but I just don't feel it yet. All the House of Lords stuff and chauffered limos, and Nessa with her "safe room", it's all too hi-so for me. Can't relate.

I'll try one more and see how it goes. I do like the Stephen Rea character.

• Like 1

Folks, now's the time to be getting on Power and Ray Donovan (S2) both seasons are about to go nuts!

Only 8 episodes this year? Too bad. I only have one left and I am enjoying that show.

Only 8 episodes this year? Too bad. I only have one left and I am enjoying that show.

Yep

Only 8 this year but season 2 will have 10.

Yep

Only 8 this year but season 2 will have 10.

Sunday night was the finalé? Bar stewards made no mention of that! Bugger it was really getting good with what was about to develop.

I'm also currently suffering through Rogue (Season 2), it was mentioned upthread that S2 is nowhere near as good as S1, that is very true so far (up to E5) hoping for a link back to Lazlo or some gangsters to make it good.

I see Anger Management is back as well, episode 63, surely Sheen's going for the longest running season in TV! According to IMDB there's going to be 80 episodes (somehow I think that's a typo given there's a gap between epsisodes 64 and 76 and 76 and 80). Either way, it's good for a laugh.

Have recently (sadly) watched the last episodes of Californication and Rake.

With the final series of Sons of Anarchy and Justified this year, was

thinking about my favourite newish series.

So gangsters, what are your new faves?

Final series of Boardwalk Empire this Autumn as well :/

Orange is the New Black is great

I also really like The Good Wife, good legal drama, doesn't play for laughs but doesn't get bogged down in boring legal talk. Very good

• Like 2

It's really a shame for an actor like Dean Norris, who had a great run on Breaking Bad, to go from one of the best series of all time, to certainly one of the worst series of all time. Hope if doesn't ruin his ability to get better roles.

IMO, it is not a great show, but not at terrible one either. However, if Dean Norris was not on it, I'm not sure that I would still be watching. He is the most interesting character.

I've known a few TV actors in Hollywood, and they mostly consider themselves fortunate to hit the holy grail of a long running successful series. If they never repeat that again, they do consider that possible even probable. Some go on to do continued successful series, some not. You only need to hit the big one once (Jerry Seinfeld almost a billionaire at net worth $800M, and never did anything worth watching before or after then, [even Michael Richards {Kramer} ended up worth $45M from Seinfeld]). And, even a lesser role in a middling series that lasts a few years can set up royalties from syndication that can take care of them for life.

But, I digress. I like the way the Dome started out, fizzled toward the end of first season, was shocked and awed that it got renewed for a 2nd season, and am fully expecting it to be zapped out of existence before any third. wink.png

*BTW, for anyone who doesn't know the site celebritynetworthdotcom, you should check out the net worth of various TV and film actors, you may be in for a shock.

Seinfeld was a guest star on "Louis" (S04E02). Played a rather unpleasant character very well. I wonder, if he did that as a favor or did Louis C.K. have to pay him? smile.png

They are very good friends

I think actors need to be paid 'scale' as something to do with screen actors guild (Jonah Hill got paid very little for Wolf of Wall St as he really wanted the part) but I doubt Seinfeld got millioniare money, he and Louie have been friends for a long time

• Like 1

Hey Suits Fans! Did you know that today is the BIRTHDAY of BOTH Megan Markle and Abigail Spencer!!?? That's right! Megan was born in Los Angeles and Abby was born in Gulf Breeze ? Florida. They are both 33 years young. (Aug 4, 1981)

Rachel (Megan) is getting a lot more face time this season to show off her prodigious acting skills, while Abigail shines on Rectify, after quietly leaving the cast of Suits.

Speaking of Suits Harvey and Donna are apparently friends from way back and even used to live together (not as a couple). How about that!

A new Danish movie that is out. Crime style. The Keeper of Lost Causes. It is based on the novel from Danish author Jussi Adler-Olsen.

It was watchable enough, but I think it could have done a bit better. Dark in places, both in content and filming style. 6.5/10 from me

• Like 2

I also have a feeling that this show will be an absolute cracker! 2 episodes up on the usual suspects.

Some good potential for this show... Plenty of laughs...

Kelsey Grammar and Martin Lawrence! Of course I will watch it (but have not found it, yet)!

I also have a feeling that this show will be an absolute cracker! 2 episodes up on the usual suspects.

Kelsey Grammar and Martin Lawrence! Of course I will watch it (but have not found it, yet)!

You will find it in a Bay frequented by Pirates..

• Like 1

Just watched leftovers to 6 first line asking a guy about his husband the dome two women one white one black and girl who calls both mum ,why do we have to have this all the time ,I have nothing against gay people whatsoever but it's like propaganda for gay marriage and gay adoption ,the more it is stuffed down my throat the. Less I like it ,I wish they could stick to the plots,sorry if I have offended any gay people

Just watched leftovers to 6 first line asking a guy about his husband the dome two women one white one black and girl who calls both mum ,why do we have to have this all the time ,I have nothing against gay people whatsoever but it's like propaganda for gay marriage and gay adoption ,the more it is stuffed down my throat the. Less I like it ,I wish they could stick to the plots,sorry if I have offended any gay people

You don't like gays stuffing it down your throat? xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vr.png

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

Agreed. I too tire of all the propaganda. The other common theme is women who are supposed to be as tough as men and kick their butts. Women don't have the upper body strength to compete with strong men, so it is mostly nonsense.

• Like 1

I know what you mean, it has a similar effect on me. I explained it to myself this way: if 4% to 5% of the population are gay, it would be normal to have 4% to 5% of the characters in a show to be gay, too. On the other hand, certain jobs might be more attractive to gays than other jobs (e.g. lesbians in the police, but I do not have supporting numbers, just the impression I got over the years, so I can be completely wrong). Therefore lesbian characters in a police show might reflect reality to a certain point?

I remember that in the 80s all the police captains/supervising officers had to be black/coloured, all over a sudden. Then, we saw diverse couples (white male/black female, later black male/white female). Nowadays, do we really notice anymore? Or do we perceive it as normal? So, in a few years time we might perceive gay characters in a show as perfectly normal, too.

My question would be: do TV shows influence social reality or does reality influence TV shows or do they mutually influence each other or is there no influence at all and it is just a preference of the respective writer?

(I hope I could use the words black/white/coloured as I did. I would not know how to describe it otherwise, but I know that this is a very sensitive issue in the US).

Black is okay but when I was in the UK some time ago and used coloured I was told it was not acceptable but racist ,things change so fast it's hard to keep up ,soon being gay will be the norm the BBC are very left wing p.c and are very pro.gay,I used to not care but now it just puts me off a show ,unless it is specifically gay orientated the brainwashing has begun. Once again I say I have no problem with what two consenting adults get up to in their homes,they can beat each other with rhubarb as far as I am concerned lol

• Like 1

Agreed. I too tire of all the propaganda. The other common theme is women who are supposed to be as tough as men and kick their butts. Women don't have the upper body strength to compete with strong men, so it is mostly nonsense.

I agree, I find it very irritating, when a wee girl knocks out a grown man double her size. I have the impression that they turned it down a bit, lately. So, now the girls need three or four "punches". Still ridiculous.

Have recently (sadly) watched the last episodes of Californication and Rake.

With the final series of Sons of Anarchy and Justified this year, was

thinking about my favourite newish series.

So gangsters, what are your new faves?

Final series of Boardwalk Empire this Autumn as well :/

Orange is the New Black is great

I also really like The Good Wife, good legal drama, doesn't play for laughs but doesn't get bogged down in boring legal talk. Very good

I am very relieved to read that somebody came forward and spoke out. I really like "The Good Wife" (and Julianna Margulies). But so far, i did not dare to admit it (a bit of a girly show, is it not?). I think it is the second best legal show, ever (after "Ally McBeal", my all time favourite, but admittedly it is difficult to compare a drama and a comedy. "Boston Legal" comes only third on my list, because half of the time they took themselves seriously and only the other 50% were good fun, particularly the famous closing scenes on the balcony. That does not come as a surprise: I am a cigar smoker, too!).

Two mysteries remain unsolved for me: how does one pronounce "Margulies"? And if there is "good fun", can there also be "bad fun"?

Found It! smile.png

Not the "Breaking Bad" of sitcoms, but nice and harmless fun and a few rather good lines. Would not expect more from a 20-min-format.

• Like 1

Found It! smile.png

Not the "Breaking Bad" of sitcoms, but nice and harmless fun and a few rather good lines. Would not expect more from a 20-min-format.

I watched the first 2 episodes of Partners. Like stepping back ten years in TV comedy. Something I might watch on a long plane flight but not something I'll be seeking out.