What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Morning boys and girls...

Here's a new show that took off today - Legends - looking at the preview it looks like it could be quite good.. A cross between 24 and Jason Bourne...

Thanks for that one, I just watched it, and I like it too. I loved the Bourne series, and I also loved Sean Bean in Ronin (though many years ago), and he plays that rogue mercenary-cum-brain-washed government agent role really well.

The accent is a bit of a sticking point though, he's one of those guys who could never get an American accent, and it's good they don't force the issue with it in the series, making up some back story that he was an American raised in the UK or something.

Looks like it has great potential! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

If you have absolutely nothing else to watch, and time to waste, you might try the new Hercules with Dwayne Johnson. After reading reviews, I just downloaded a cam version to see if I could let it play while doing some other tasks. It's not the worst "epic" flick ever made, but let's just say that Kevin Sorbo played Hercules like Marlon Brando in comparison to "The Rock" Johnson. Hell, even Lucy Lawless (Xena Warrior Princess) could play Hercules better.

Here's a new show that took off today - Legends - looking at the preview it looks like it could be quite good.. A cross between 24 and Jason Bourne...

Thanks for that one, I just watched it, and I like it too. I loved the Bourne series, and I also loved Sean Bean in Ronin (though many years ago), and he plays that rogue mercenary-cum-brain-washed government agent role really well.

The accent is a bit of a sticking point though, he's one of those guys who could never get an American accent, and it's good they don't force the issue with it in the series, making up some back story that he was an American raised in the UK or something.

I liked it too. He does screw up the accent pretty often, but I can forgive that.

Halt and Get Canceled: SPOILER!

OK, AMC gave this show a chance, promoted it well, did everything right, but nobody stuck around to see the launch of the famous Cardiff Giant. It was a big disappointment to see long-suffering Gordon morph into a corporate <deleted> in just two weeks. And where did Boz go, besides to jail? The Texas good ol' boy who owns this place gave it all to Gordo and Joe to divvy up. Joe is suffering from "Is That All There Is?" syndrome, wants the kids to come up with a "killer app" to ship along with the Giant, no doubt accompanied by a fat printed manual (remember those?) and five or ten 5-1/4" floppies. I was thinking they were going to come up with a "Geoworks" type package that Commodore used to make.

Anyway, not enough people seem to remember or care about the dawn of the Mac, dawn of the 286 days. It's dead, man. Whatever it was that this series needed, it didn't bring. RIP!

"If people don't want to see a picture, there's no way you can stop them."----Samuel Goldwyn

• Like 1

It's really a shame for an actor like Dean Norris, who had a great run on Breaking Bad, to go from one of the best series of all time, to certainly one of the worst series of all time. Hope if doesn't ruin his ability to get better roles.

IMO, it is not a great show, but not at terrible one either. However, if Dean Norris was not on it, I'm not sure that I would still be watching. He is the most interesting character.

I've known a few TV actors in Hollywood, and they mostly consider themselves fortunate to hit the holy grail of a long running successful series. If they never repeat that again, they do consider that possible even probable. Some go on to do continued successful series, some not. You only need to hit the big one once (Jerry Seinfeld almost a billionaire at net worth $800M, and never did anything worth watching before or after then, [even Michael Richards {Kramer} ended up worth $45M from Seinfeld]). And, even a lesser role in a middling series that lasts a few years can set up royalties from syndication that can take care of them for life.

But, I digress. I like the way the Dome started out, fizzled toward the end of first season, was shocked and awed that it got renewed for a 2nd season, and am fully expecting it to be zapped out of existence before any third. wink.png

*BTW, for anyone who doesn't know the site celebritynetworthdotcom, you should check out the net worth of various TV and film actors, you may be in for a shock.

I tried watching Seinfeld several times with friends. I could watch the whole hour, without so much as a chuckle. I just did not find it funny. I did not get it at all. And I am a New Yorker! No idea what the bid deal is with Jerry Seinfeld. Tried watching his monologue on Jimmy Fallon. Lost interest after two or three minutes. Guess I am just not a fan.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

Avoid Guardians of the Galaxy, unless you are a huge fan of comic book movies, or under 13. The first hour was kind of funny. The second hour was hard to sit through. Kind of wore me out. Way too much action, and not enough plot, characters development, or substance. What did I expect? I was just hoping for some entertainment. I got a kiddie show.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

I liked it too. He does screw up the accent pretty often, but I can forgive that.

Watched it tonight, quite liking it off the bat... The screwing up of the accent's part of the gig I think...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

If anyone needs a series to get them through some down time, you know, the time when you need some stupid kind of funny... I present...

Black Jesus...

I wish I was under the influence when I watched it... Stupid funny...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Outlander has just started. About a nurse from the late 40s (ex-war nurse after the war) is sent back in time whilst on a trip to Scotland. She ends up in 18th century Scotland at a time of the English putting down Scottish resistance. She lands in the thick of things. It was a little slow to start, which makes sense here as we had to know her and her life before, so give it a chance. I enjoyed it enough to be looking forward to the second episode. Nothing entirely new of course - what is? - but done well as expected from Auntie.

The Troubling, Subversive Promise of the New Show Outlander

• Like 1

Tv shows:

A new show called "rush" 4 episodes in and it's pretty good.

Along with Fargo.

If you guys need a good site to watch stuff: www.g2g.fm better than putlocker with no adds or spam

• Like 2

Rectify S02e08 WARNING: SPOILERS FOLLOW...

Seems like this is the episode to set us up for a whirlwind of emotional car crashes in the finale. And we don't even know if the finale is really the end, (No, Please NO!) or will the cast and writers be back for a third fantastic season.

Daniel wakes up in Dead Georgie's trashy trailer, much the worse for wear. Finding Treacherous Trey gone, he stumbles around the dump, putting his fingerprints all over the re-planted dead cellphone (Trey may have outsmarted himself on that one, let's hope) and Georgie's wallet. Then he writes and signs what will undoubtedly be put forth as a second confession of guilt at his upcoming re-trial, a note to Georgie, apologizing for busting the paperboard wall paneling. I know he's coming off a nasty night of drugs and boozing, but this seems exceptionally stupid, even for our sad somnambulistic anti-hero. Of course, he still doesn't know, as we do, that Georgie is dead, and due to come floating up some time soon. (Cue banjo music.)

Daniel peddles his undersized bicycle down to the nearest convenience store and places a collect call from a pay phone to Tawney. Talk about a blast from the past. She drives all the way down to Florida to pick him up. They have a painful exchange of views, in which Daniel confesses his love for her, and tries to get her to admit she loves him. It's clearly too late for that, as she is pregnant, and trying much too hard to make things work with Teddy. Anyway, Daniel has an utterly false picture of Tawney. They would be finished within a week if they were both free to pursue an unfettered affair. He's an atheist, and she's High on Jesus.

When he finally makes it home, he is fourth in line to hear the new DA's offer of a plea deal, which isn't worth mentioning because we know that won't be happening. Young Jared feels left out of the loop, and goes over to big brother Teddy's house to find solace.

There's a lengthy prison flashback dialog between Daniel and Dirty Wendell, in which Daniel manages to strip away Wendell's false front of jocular masculinity. But Wendell scores points too, by insisting that he and D are two sides of the same coin with Wendell afraid of his looming date with the Needle (who wouldn't be?), and Daniel's dread of life in general.

Finally we see Janet and Ted have a lovely moment of bonding and understanding, only to be shattered within the hour by the Evil Senator telling Ted, the most steadfast character on the show, the sordid, embellished story about Daniel, Teddy, and the coffee grounds. This scene is shown only briefly, without words, and Ted looks completely undone. It's clear that his attitude toward Daniel is now completely reversed.

We would all like the Senator to pay for his cruel and malicious persecution of Daniel, but then in “real life” we know that people so inclined to do mischief do seem to get away with it, and often get rewarded for it. And Daniel, even though he's now showing signs of life, still seems ambivalent about his own fate.

Another great 42 minutes.

The Knick

New tv series from cinemax (aka skinimax)

Medical drama set in the last century USA.

First episode out now.

I have high hopes for this one, Cinemax are famous for their excessive sex scenes.

That's a good one (I think), although it has another supposedly high functioning drug addict as a doctor. At least, this one (Clive Owen) seems to realize that cocaine is not something you should have as a habit, particularly, when you constantly have to operate on patients. (A good scene! Worth watching! biggrin.png ) I find the 19th century setting very convincing, so far. Some scenes were rather graphic, not as detailed as in "Nip Tuck" but still good enough to get a good impression of blood, sweat and patients fear in the operating room. No nudity, yet. If they intend to introduce sex (no such hints, so far), one of the nurses and the female chair of the board will probably be part of respective sceneries. Would not be the worst choices, I'd say.

To make more of the show than just being another medical drama, they included some social realities of that time (role of women, role of African Americans, if that is the correct term). The PC remains mellow, though, with believable reactions of all involved.

Worth mentioning: the first episode was directed by Steven Soderberg (Fellini, is that tempting enough for you to give it a shot? smile.png ) and the music that is played to support some scenes is, lets say, very individualistic.

I will definitely continue watching.

• Like 1

In the SciFi category:

"Edge of Tomorrow" was as good as I expected it to be. "Groundhog Day" + action and fighting. But the Normandie? Seriously? The same trick twice? Of course it did not work, you morons.

"Godzilla" was rather disappointing (well, at least for me). The disaster zones were good, but the monster fights were too dark and not detailed enough. Godzillas opponents were very, very poorly designed, IMHO. At least Bryan Cranston had a (not overwhelmingly large) part in the film. "Yo! Mister White!"

• Like 1

Outlander has just started. About a nurse from the late 40s (ex-war nurse after the war) is sent back in time whilst on a trip to Scotland. She ends up in 18th century Scotland at a time of the English putting down Scottish resistance. She lands in the thick of things. It was a little slow to start, which makes sense here as we had to know her and her life before, so give it a chance. I enjoyed it enough to be looking forward to the second episode. Nothing entirely new of course - what is? - but done well as expected from Auntie.

The Troubling, Subversive Promise of the New Show Outlander

I agree with wolf5370: to early to tell. It has a chance to become good, if some characters next to the heroine develop properly (my hopes are in "Black Jack" or whatever his name is).

Good that I watched it first and read the article afterwards. Otherwise I most likely would have passed ("woman-centric sex act"??? What the ... ? Is her being on top called "woman-centric" now?) The comments to that article were more informative, though. According to the female commentators, we can expect some action and unpleasantness in the episodes to come.

And why are the Scots always the good people, I wonder. Troublemakers since Roman times! And as an English friend once told me: "They have our oil". biggrin.png

• Like 2

Found a review for 'The Knick'

"The Knick Sets a New Time Record for Cable-TV Nudity. Where Do Other Shows Fall?"

http://www.vulture.com/2014/08/cable-nudity-countdown-clock.html

After reading the article I had to watch the opening scene again. Yes, right, one could "see" a naked woman. But the whole scene was so brief and blurry that I really did not notice, at least consciously. Well, I am from Europe. Says it all, I guess (Babylonian demoralisation!). Funny article, nevertheless. smile.png

In the SciFi category:

"Edge of Tomorrow" was as good as I expected it to be. "Groundhog Day" + action and fighting. But the Normandie? Seriously? The same trick twice? Of course it did not work, you morons.

A bit of Groundhog Day, Saving Private Ryan, and The Matrix. The video game aspect was palpable--the being continually killed and resurrected till you finally learn to kill the bad guy.

Worth watching, esp for SF fans. One might well wish for more depth of character, a more believable plot, and monsters less cartoonish, but it'll do for what it is.

• Like 1

Just finished watching walter , a one off police series(to come i hope) with a differance its a brit comedy /serious cop show ,i really enjoyed it ,as did the critics not pc or glamerous for the cops or their gay leader, try it its on the bay of pirates.

• Like 2