What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but recently finished the last episode of The Affair.

Found it hard going at times but I really enjoyed it. Dominic West is great in the lead.

IMBD: The psychological effects of an affair between a married waitress at a Hamptons diner

and a teacher who spends his summer at his in-laws' estate on the island.

[media]http://youtu.be/Til6Nt2ps9s

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

The Grapes of Wrath film was very good indeed. They don't make 'em like that anymore, unless there are some indie films around today that give an honest depiction of life in the 21st Century West without money. Ken Loach was the master of these, but he's getting on. Any suggestions? Why aren't they making films of working class life and struggle like the British made in the early 60's: Room at the Top; Saturday Night and Sunday Morning; Look Back in Anger; and my favorite, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner.

The Steinbeck novel was very good, and quite controversial in its day, but kept tripping over itself by jumping out of the story to talk about how the land, weather, and the 1930's economy combined to bust out the people.

A Classical Ten

• Like 1

The Grapes of Wrath film was very good indeed. They don't make 'em like that anymore, unless there are some indie films around today that give an honest depiction of life in the 21st Century West without money. Ken Loach was the master of these, but he's getting on. Any suggestions? Why aren't they making films of working class life and struggle like the British made in the early 60's: Room at the Top; Saturday Night and Sunday Morning; Look Back in Anger; and my favorite, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner.

The Steinbeck novel was very good, and quite controversial in its day, but kept tripping over itself by jumping out of the story to talk about how the land, weather, and the 1930's economy combined to bust out the people.

A Classical Ten

The reason they no longer make movies about British working class struggle ,is because even if you live on the social security ,hardship is considered to be not having the latest 50inch tv ot the latest android phone ,all the bullshit about being poor and having to go to food banks is left wing ,Politically correct ,Guardian reading BBC watching rubbish .

Meanwhile on tv ,I just downloaded the first episode of series 2 of Last tango in Halifax biggrin.png

For what it is worth, I liked the book "The Grapes of Wrath" better than the movie, but I did like both. Actually, it is one of my favorite classics and normally I prefer the smaller ones like "Of Mice and Men", "The Great Gatsby", "The Stranger" and "The Old Man and the Sea". It might be more interesting to Americans.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Redirected

First Lithuanian movie I have seen. Combination British/Lithuanian, but mainly set in Lithuania. This is one continual movie of action, shooting, fighting, accidents, more fighting, more shooting, drinking, more fighting...Easy to watch. Stars Vinnie Jones

6.5/10 from me

REDIRECTED is an outrageous hangover-meets-guy-ritchie type criminal action-drama-thriller comedy with a distinctive flavor of Eastern European exotic. It tells a story of four friends turned first-time robbers John, Ben, Tim and Michael who accidentally get stranded in a middle-of-nowhere Eastern European country and have to fight their way back home through the land of whores, smugglers, dirty cops, cheap beer and sick fantasies. In order to save their asses, friends must not only overcome an ultimate culture shock experience, but also rediscover their friendship.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2275946/synopsis?ref_=ttpl_pl_syn

Just watched it last night and agree with your rating.

It reminded me of a poor mans Guy Ritchie moviesmile.png

Am I the only one getting sick and tired of these cheap Guy Ritchie copycat movies? (somehow they even managed to pull in Vinnie Jones) I just half-watched it while doing other stuff, and this copycat stuff has gone too far. It reminds me of the rash of Quentin Tarantino Pulp Fiction copycat films (something like 17 of them!).

A poor Man's Guy Ritchie movie indeed...poor and getting poorer, but agreed, easy brainless watching.

• Like 2

The Equalizer: Denzel playing a 'good guy' bent on avenging those less fortunate... What's not to like! 7/10

To me, it was what "John Wick" should have been. Ridiculous, but not to the point of wanting to stop watching. I eventually turned "John Wick" off.

• Like 1

I really liked "Fury" too. It was the opposite of the "war is glorious" films when I was a kid and a lot more realistic, I'm sure.

I finished Friday Night Lights season 2 and started season 3, but all kinds of things have changed. Because of the writers strike, they just skipped 7 episodes in season 2 and started season 3 where they would have left off. All the main characters lives have changed completely and all kinds of important things have happened in the town of Dillon, but I will never know why. I have never seen a show do that before, but I'm really hooked, so will keep watching anyway.

• Like 2

I watched "The Drop" last night. Fell asleep about ten minutes before the end. So don't know how it ends. I liked, probably because of the cute puppy, and shall watch the ending later on.

There are some good looking new TV series starting this month. Can't name any but just googled new tv series for 2015.

Most of the usual should be back up and running next week. Thank God!! I've missed my firemen....!!!

Looking forward to Broadchurch - after the excellent The Missing and The Fall, they have a lot to live up to. But, no doubt, will not disappoint.

• Like 2

Last night I watched a 1975 near-forgotten classic called The Wind and the Lion, written and directed by John Milius. Plucky American rich widow (Candace Bergen) and her two children get abducted and held for ransom by “The Raisuli”, a dashing desert Berber chieftain played by, of all people... Sean Connery! ("Wel-cohm to thah Rawk!")

I love to hear Old Sean speak. He could sell cooking utensils on the Shopping Channel and I would tune in just to see that Devilish grin and hear that Scottish brogue. But he doesn't make the cut as any sort of “Arab.” Candace was great as Murphy Brown on TV, but in this production she displays her very limited filmic chops. She certainly was a pulchritudinous example of American WomanHood at Her Best back then, but as a big screen actress...no.

Brian Keith stole the show as President Theodore Roosevelt. Too bad TR came along before sound and film came together. He was a true giant, a great President and a man's man.

What made this lengthy and historically questionable film worth watching was the action sequences. There is horse cavalry action here equal to or better than any Western every made. I looked for the disclaimer in the closing credits about no animals being injured in the making of this film, but there was none. A whole lot of horses took rough tumbles in this production. And there is a great long sequence where a company of US Marines (1904 version) form up on the dock, fix bayonets, and double-time march up to the corrupt Bashaw's (Connery's enemy) palace and take it over by force of arms.

Good old fashioned spectacle, suitable for the whole family, if you don't get offended by the “Big Stick” jingoistic foreign policy.

A Solid Eight.

PS: Milius made and wrote some really decent films. His low budget "Dillinger", starring the late great Warren Oates, was superior to the later Johnny Depp vehicle on the same subject, Public Enemies. Wish he would come out of (forced?) retirement and give us more.

• Like 2

A Classical Ten

The reason they no longer make movies about British working class struggle ,is because even if you live on the social security ,hardship is considered to be not having the latest 50inch tv ot the latest android phone ,all the bullshit about being poor and having to go to food banks is left wing ,Politically correct ,Guardian reading BBC watching rubbish .

Meanwhile on tv ,I just downloaded the first episode of series 2 of Last tango in Halifax biggrin.png

Wow! Sounds like poor folks in today's UK have really got it good! Thanks for giving us the straight skinny. I'll quit reading the Guardian and watching BBC, those Com/Symps!

Speaking of poor council estates, filled up some holiday time watching another one of those East London kid street clan vs. old guy street clan gritty violent movies. The Guvnors got a 5.1 on IMDB, probably agree, but a good holiday time waster.

One interesting thing is how these gangs use box cutters for violent weapons, even hiding straight razors in walls, and how having a gun is a big deal. Such strict UK weapons laws seem quaint as we have become so desensitized to OTT violence and weapons in American set films.

• Like 2

Thanks to I Claudius for mentioning Marco Polo, just finished watching it. Really enjoyed, although they obviously didn't have the budget to go too heavy on the battle scenes.

Seems to be getting poor ratings, but thought the sets and dialogue were great. 7.5/10 (9/10 for those lovely Asian ladies wub.png )

Not sure who mentioned Ascension - but again finished watching and enjoyed it. Looks set up for another series. 7/10 SyFy do some good stuff.

• Like 2

Last night I watched a 1975 near-forgotten classic called The Wind and the Lion, written and directed by John Milius. Plucky American rich widow (Candace Bergen) and her two children get abducted and held for ransom by “The Raisuli”, a dashing desert Berber chieftain played by, of all people... Sean Connery! ("Wel-cohm to thah Rawk!")

I love to hear Old Sean speak. He could sell cooking utensils on the Shopping Channel and I would tune in just to see that Devilish grin and hear that Scottish brogue. But he doesn't make the cut as any sort of “Arab.” Candace was great as Murphy Brown on TV, but in this production she displays her very limited filmic chops. She certainly was a pulchritudinous example of American WomanHood at Her Best back then, but as a big screen actress...no.

Brian Keith stole the show as President Theodore Roosevelt. Too bad TR came along before sound and film came together. He was a true giant, a great President and a man's man.

What made this lengthy and historically questionable film worth watching was the action sequences. There is horse cavalry action here equal to or better than any Western every made. I looked for the disclaimer in the closing credits about no animals being injured in the making of this film, but there was none. A whole lot of horses took rough tumbles in this production. And there is a great long sequence where a company of US Marines (1904 version) form up on the dock, fix bayonets, and double-time march up to the corrupt Bashaw's (Connery's enemy) palace and take it over by force of arms.

Good old fashioned spectacle, suitable for the whole family, if you don't get offended by the “Big Stick” jingoistic foreign policy.

A Solid Eight.

PS: Milius made and wrote some really decent films. His low budget "Dillinger", starring the late great Warren Oates, was superior to the later Johnny Depp vehicle on the same subject, Public Enemies. Wish he would come out of (forced?) retirement and give us more.

Great review as always. very funny about the no injured animal disclaimer

Just watched a fun new caper movie mostly set in Miami and London.

Plastic is based on a true story where a gang of friends managed to infiltrate one of the biggest credit card companies in the World and pull off one of the biggest and most audacious Diamond Heists ever committed in British History. Plastic is Catch Me If You Can meets The Italian Job.

Good synopsis by user on IMDB: "Well the movie will win no Oscars; but it was entertaining cute! I enjoyed and think you will too, unless you hate British slang or minor nudity etc..."

• Like 2

Thanks to I Claudius for mentioning Marco Polo, just finished watching it. Really enjoyed, although they obviously didn't have the budget to go too heavy on the battle scenes.

Seems to be getting poor ratings, but thought the sets and dialogue were great. 7.5/10 (9/10 for those lovely Asian ladies wub.png )

Not sure who mentioned Ascension - but again finished watching and enjoyed it. Looks set up for another series. 7/10 SyFy do some good stuff.

Thanks ,they were hot wernt they ,As for Ascension ,ive watched about 20 minutes of series one , dont know if it is good or not ,does it "liven up"?

dont know if anyone ,me included has ever mentioned TROLLIED about a supermarket its utterly stupid just finished season 4 i just love it.thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Just watched "Poker Night". I enjoyed it but i am easily pleased as i have not seen many good movies in the last few years. The movie was made in Canada. Lots of dialogue. Most movies don't have much dialogue these days unless it's a crappy romance/teen movie.

Better than average.

• Like 2

Thanks ,they were hot wernt they ,As for Ascension ,ive watched about 20 minutes of series one , dont know if it is good or not ,does it "liven up"?

dont know if anyone ,me included has ever mentioned TROLLIED about a supermarket its utterly stupid just finished season 4 i just love it.thumbsup.gif

Yes Ascension does liven up. I was starting to get bored in the first episode, was thinking is anything going to happen but it does. Rattled through the rest of it in 2 days.

Yes Ascension does liven up. I was starting to get bored in the first episode, was thinking is anything going to happen but it does. Rattled through the rest of it in 2 days.

just commenced watching first episode,guessed the twist, I should be a writer lol
  • Like 2

just commenced watching first episode,guessed the twist, I should be a writer lol

Just watched the second episode ,while some American series are superb ,this unfortunatly is not one of them ,the idea and the plot are really good ,its just that the Acting ,the script and the fact everybody looks as if they stepped out of a glossy magazine,and if they are living on a spaceship 50 years from earth how come they have so many changes of "modern" style clothes sorry 8/10 for the idea ,1/10 for the rest.

on a new note on thursday the latest season of death in paradise starts and on teusday the new series of silent witness ,with Emilia Fox who if she played her cards right could have me , many times.

• Like 1

I watched 20 minutes of the first episode of Ascension and switched to something else - Friday Night Lights - too. I was not totally turned off, but it did not grab me either.

Television series on SyFy tend to be mediocre IMO, but I kind of liked the recent one about Zombies - Z Nation - although the Walking Dead is much better. Can anyone name a really good one on SyFy? I might have missed something.