What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

A new thread for Movies and TV Shows you are currently watching or have just watched.

I'll start with two from today.

Wreck it Ralph (also in 3D)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1772341/

One for the kids. PG rated. Saw this one with my nephew at the cinema. Had some good laughs in for the kids. Some great animation and would be worth seeing in 3D

Les Miserables

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1707386/

I had been looking forward to seeing this one. I have seen previous versions of this story on film and with the star studded cast and being a musical I was keen to see it. I did watch it on the small screen, not at the Cinema, so not sure if that made a difference.

Frankly, after 40 minutes I was praying the cast would not be breaking into any more song. God (your choice of flavour) did not answer my prayers and the singing continues onwards for another couple of hours

I can't be bothered with opera, and trying to force the narrative into music. Shakespeare's blank verse is far enough for me.

Notwithstanding that, I like musicals - Corpse Bride, and Brother Where Art Thou are personal favourites, and when I was younger I loved the incidental music in Repo Man. But opera - if you're going to sing, sing a song; or else give me a chance to blot it out, with Singha song

• Like 1

The site that starts with "K" and ends with "S" yielded up a treasure for me last night, a documentary called Finding Vivian Maier. I have been waiting to see this for months, and it did not disappoint.

The link to IMDB will give you the whole rundown. What a story!

TEN!

Beautiful mate, been waiting for that to appear! what a woman.

This show is OK, but nowhere near the level of The Fall. The background music is never absent, which I find distracting. Good acting, except for the guy who plays the murdered kid's dad. He was terrible in The Honourable Woman and he's worse here.

I'll stay with it.

I really like them both but prefer Broadchurch.

If I was nitpicking, I thought The Fall was a bit predictable and

I didn't really buy Gillian Anderson sleeping with underlings.

I think Andrew Buchan does an ok job. I really liked him in The Fixer.

Each to their own I guess.

• Like 1

Bosch, Conclusion...

The series is strong all the way through, with fine acting, a believable script, and great cinematography. The only major divergence from the novels (this is NOT A SPOILER, but YOU MAY THINK SO, so ACT ACCORDINGLY)...

In the novels, Bosch is a Vietnam veteran, a former "tunnel rat", one of those crazy small frame guys who used to descend into the VC tunnels (now a major TOURIST ATTRACTION in Vietnam!) armed only with a flashlight and a sidearm. In the series, he says he is a veteran of Iraq/Afghanistan, and supposedly did tunnel rat work in those conflicts. In the books, Michael Connelly ran into an aging problem with the "Nam Vet" Harry, who would by now be long retired. His impending forced retirement is a major feature of the last Bosch novel I read.

The problem is, this TV Bosch looks too old to have been involved in Bush/Blair War 2, and in GHW Bush War 1 I never heard about any tunnels. A minor quibble. I'll let it slide. Looking forward to Season 2.

Yep, I finished the last episode last night.

I thought it was a pretty solid show all round.

Would rate it a 7.5.

• Like 2

I still don't know if i like Fortitude or not, still getting my head around the different people i guess.

I'm with you on this one Patsycat.

Four episodes in and I'm still not sure what to make of it.

The arrival of Stanley Tucci has to improve things though.

• Like 2

I still don't know if i like Fortitude or not, still getting my head around the different people i guess.

I'm with you on this one Patsycat.

Four episodes in and I'm still not sure what to make of it.

The arrival of Stanley Tucci has to improve things though.

I gave up when the son got frostbite

took my weekly dose of suits and nashville and both, imo, keep up their v watchable good tv drama status, though , i find, the outrageously rapid and aserbic banter in suits can get a touch irratating.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit
  • Like 1

ALL IS LOST (2014)

Deep into a solo voyage in the Indian Ocean, an unnamed man (Robert Redford) wakes to find his 39-foot yacht taking on water after a collision with a shipping container left floating on the high seas. With his navigation equipment and radio disabled, the man sails unknowingly into the path of a violent storm.

Review here: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/all_is_lost_2013/

jeez o"s,,,,,, i' m half way through the film and telling us about the storm thats called 'spoilers' mate. and generally it aint done ,try not to give the story away b4 we've seen it!!Generally you seem to watch good movies so be good to hear what you think of the films you like it or it was carp!!

Why did you think it was entitled "All is lost"?

• Like 1

took my weekly dose of suits and nashville and both, imo, keep up their v watchable good tv drama status, though , i find, the outrageously rapid and aserbic banter in suits can get a touch irratating.

Bad news for both of us. Next week is the last episode of Suits for this season. I will really miss it. sad.png

• Like 1

Bad news for both of us. Next week is the last episode of Suits for this season. I will really miss it. sad.png

yeah, i suppose the end of jessicas affair is bit of a season ender ish, not a biggie though, something else happens? at a quess, i reckon she either jacks all in and heads of into the sunset with jeff or just plain leaves. and maybe mike marries rachel. if u know dont tell me but speculate away

yeah, i suppose the end of jessicas affair is bit of a season ender ish, not a biggie though, something else happens? at a quess, i reckon she either jacks all in and heads of into the sunset with jeff or just plain leaves. and maybe mike marries rachel. if u know dont tell me but speculate away

What was that about spoilerstongue.png

• Like 2

jessica affair ended in this weeks episode and the rest,,, well

those are my quess's not 'actual's '

bit diferent.

Edited by rijit

jessica affair ended in this weeks episode and the rest,,, well

those are my quess's not 'actual's '

bit diferent.

Given that you were bitching about spoilers the other day, you go and drop this one with the defence that it was this weeks episode so it's fair game?

Pretty poor form if that's the case...

• Like 1

yeah its been on and from willls post so sort of assumed he/ all had watched it , seems not, my apologies if thats the case.

Edited by rijit
  • Like 1

Justified, Season Six

Man, they're going for broke, wrapping up this great show. All of the actors are turning in Emmy Quality performances, and the writers are giving everybody great lines of dialog. Joelle Carter (Ava Crowder) is walking a manic tightrope, and shows herself to be a really great actress. The addition of Garrett Dillahunt, Mary Steenburgen, and Sam Elliott to the cast, with the usual solid work by Jere Burns as Winn Duffy, makes as fine a crew of badasses as has ever been assembled.

Elliott, without his trademark big mustache, is especially impressive in his role as Markham, the Marijuana Kingpin from Denver. He gets to do lines worthy of Boyd Crowder. In fact, he seems like an older, wiser version of Boyd. "Last time I looked up a flagpole, this was still America!" It's as if the ghost of Elmore Leonard was guiding the writers, to bring this series to a smashing end.

Nobody gets outta Harlan alive!

ALL TIME TEN, with notice to be out of town by this time tomorrow, or get shot by Raylan Givens!

the.americans is also shaping up pretty well

The Mule (2014)

A first time drug mule tries desperately to prevent his body from giving up its lethal cargo after Australian authorities take him into custody.

Review here: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/nov/20/the-mule-review-angus-sampson-toilet-humour-smart-art

so what did you think of it up's? you recommend it or was it disappointing?

• Like 1

Not sure if this one was mentioned but an Australian thriller "John Doe: Vigilante". Quite intense and intriguing movie and quite enjoyed it. IMDB rating 6.6

A lot of people seem to have liked this. I did not hate it, but found it very amateurish compared the something like "Death Wish", which it is similar to. I did not watch the whole thing, but I might of, if I did not have to go somewhere. However, if I really liked it, I would have left the rest for later.

Just watched Wyrmwood the Aussie zombie movie ,so so ,but my attention kept wandering ,also the last episode of Midsomer murders , i was not dissapointed ,they managed to get a black/Asian? woman in the lead as a wine expert , I am not racist but when they ruin a good old English village series by insisting on putting into it people who to be honest you would rarely see there just to be PC then i have had enough . And by the way i think African tv is overtly racist especially the news as there are no white people represented and we all know that there are loads of interacial couples in African villages ,and dont get me started on Saudi tv.wink.png

Edited by i claudius
  • Like 1

Just finished watching the 10th episode of Bosch. Finished the same way as MC's last book just finished. Badge and gun. The Burning Room. Bosch will be back.

so frank james liking this , you seem to be suffering a touch of 'duplicity' here mate.

Edited by rijit

Small screen: "Forensic Files." American TV show about mysterious homicides. Perfect way to kill 21 minutes and pre-party a Chang before hitting the streets.

Silver screen: "Whiplash." A young music student's abusive teacher pushes the limits. Rave reviews with Academy Award potential.

• Like 1

Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends (2014)

I hadn't seen the previous two Rurouni Kenshin movies but had read about them, so I pretty much knew the story line.

I have been a fan of Japanese movies since early Kurosawa, but I have to say that in general Japanese directors don't know when to end a movie and often they go on far too long. IMO this is the case with Rurouni Kenshin, though the sword fights are the most spectacular I've seen and they often happen fast with no break so the choreography needs to be perfectly carried out. The sword fights are what makes the movie. I found that as with many Japanese films there's also too much talking during fighting.

Don't let anything I've said put you off, it's an excellent action movie......when it gets going.

Review here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3029556/

• Like 2