What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Just finished Top Of The Lake. 7 x 50 minute mini-series (also appeared as a 6-part).

Basically a detective style mini-series set in New Zealand. That aspect actually turned me off watching it for a long while, an error of judgement on my part as it turned out to be an excellent drama.

It has a strong Thai connection, with the girl who goes missing being a Thai girl (raised in NZ)

If you like The Fall and Broadchurch you'll like this one.

7.5/10 from me

Just watched the latest Chicago Fire episode... This shows gotten better as the seasons gone on - Dick Wolf production and all that - there's going to be a spin off as well next year Chicago P.D could be an interesting prospect...

I read this today

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/australian-actor-jesse-spencer-adds-hit-show-chicago-fire-to-previous-successes-house-and-neighbours/story-fni0cvc9-1226775237923

Just finished Top Of The Lake. 7 x 50 minute mini-series (also appeared as a 6-part).

Basically a detective style mini-series set in New Zealand. That aspect actually turned me off watching it for a long while, an error of judgement on my part as it turned out to be an excellent drama.

It has a strong Thai connection, with the girl who goes missing being a Thai girl (raised in NZ)

7.5/10 from me

Posted 2013-09-04 11:05:10

Gang, I'll start off by saying that this 7 part series won't be everyone's cup of tea.

http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=fn_al_tt_1

But if you like a dark brooding, well written drama, it may well be.

Written and directed by Jane Campion, it's about a 12 year old pregnant girl

who tries to commit suicide and then after being rescued, suddenly disappears.

A dogged detective who refuses to give up the search for her and in doing so finds

herself in knee-deep small town secrets.

IMDB gives this a 7.5 whereas I would rate it an 8.5.

Highly recommended.

BookMan, that's the one I reviewed (see above) 4/9/2014 and forgot to put a name to it.

Looks like our reviews are pretty similar although I gave it an 8.5.

Beautiful scenery as well.

7.5/10 from me

Posted 2013-09-04 11:05:10

Gang, I'll start off by saying that this 7 part series won't be everyone's cup of tea.

http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=fn_al_tt_1

But if you like a dark brooding, well written drama, it may well be.

Written and directed by Jane Campion, it's about a 12 year old pregnant girl

who tries to commit suicide and then after being rescued, suddenly disappears.

A dogged detective who refuses to give up the search for her and in doing so finds

herself in knee-deep small town secrets.

IMDB gives this a 7.5 whereas I would rate it an 8.5.

Highly recommended.

BookMan, that's the one I reviewed (see above) 4/9/2014 and forgot to put a name to it.

Looks like our reviews are pretty similar although I gave it an 8.5.

Beautiful scenery as well.

Spectacular scenery. I thought it had been posted here before, but I did a search for the name and only came up with PatsyCat having mentioned it.

I'd be interested if they will make another similar series.

Edited by BookMan

well...I'm at home now with the new 40" Samsung LCD and there are a lot of little kids around...so that I shall hit them with downloaded 'Pirates of the Caribbean' and 'The Lord of the Rings' and then when they are asleep I'll get out 'Tokyo Story' and 'Cries and Whispers' fer me own entertainment...

and then a long legged seductress ghost shall appear to shout: ' you are an inadequate POS that requires depressing cinema....and ye see what I got? not even in yer dreams ye bpluut, bpuut...'

and the ghosts have hijacked the new TV...tutsi works a roll up and sips his vodka and sighs...

Also of interesting note was that Keifer Sutherland was considered for Spader's role as Red. Thank f*** he didn't get it, otherwise it probably would have ended up as a spin off to 24, probably names 48 tongue.png

IMO, Keifer Sutherland did a great job in 24, but there were a lot of other great characters to back him up. The Blacklist is pretty much a one man show and I'm guessing that Southerland's personality would not be convincing as a witty criminal genius.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Patsycat, it will go into hibernation until next year according to IMDB, with another 12 episodes to come!

NBC has just renewed it for a 2nd season as of today!

According to the NBC website it's a short break, back on Jan 13th

• Like 2

Just finished watching the BBC series Inside Men.

A 4 part series about 3 employees of a cash holding depot

who decide to rob it.

It started off really strongly but I was disappointed with the ending

to be honest.

A shame, as it had the potential to be really good but due to the conclusion

I have downgraded it to a 7. Still worth a look.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1989062/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Like 1

Caught up with the most recent 9 episodes of season 6 of The Mentalist.

The Mentalist had been a solid watch while working on computer or in the background style show.

Season 1 took a little while to find its feet, but season 2, 3, 4 were very watchable. Season 5 was awful. The series lost its direction and the central storyline (of catching a serial killer named Red John) seemed to be forgotten, or looked like it might never be resolved. So much so it became almost farcical. As such I lost interest and delayed watching Season 6 for a couple of months.

Well, Season 6 has redeemed itself! From the get go it started clearing up outstanding issues and, end of episode 9, has become background-worthy once more. tongue.png

Caught up with the most recent 9 episodes of season 6 of The Mentalist.

The Mentalist had been a solid watch while working on computer or in the background style show.

Season 1 took a little while to find its feet, but season 2, 3, 4 were very watchable. Season 5 was awful. The series lost its direction and the central storyline (of catching a serial killer named Red John) seemed to be forgotten, or looked like it might never be resolved. So much so it became almost farcical. As such I lost interest and delayed watching Season 6 for a couple of months.

Well, Season 6 has redeemed itself! From the get go it started clearing up outstanding issues and, end of episode 9, has become background-worthy once more. tongue.png

I would agree with The Mentalist lost it's way, but its back with vengeance this season. I guess we'll have to wait and see how the FBI connection works, and what that means for all the ex-CBI crew

• Like 1

GooEng: Be interested to get your take on Jobs as well, don't know if I'd say I'm an apple convert, I guess so given my propensity for iDevices, there's actually a good line in the movie regarding how this "conversion" was created.

Watched "Jobs" last night and enjoyed it. Not sure how accurate it is but the acting was good and the narrative was well presented - my only disappointment was that it doesn't run up to the recent time - it seems to end sometime in the early 2000's instead of continuing with the story through the very recent huge upsurge in the interest in Apple devices.

• Like 1

Also watched "Jack Reacher" last night - midget Tom Cruise stepping into the role of 6'5" Jack Reacher from the Lee Child books - in this case an adaptation of on of the first in the series "One Shot".

Its so long since i read the book i can't make comments about the adaptation following the storyline - but it seems pretty close. The element missing from the movie that the book (indeed all the Reacher books) has is pace - the movie plods along, whereas the Reacher books are all real page turners. Also Cruise is the wrong man for the job - Reacher's size is an integral part of his character in the books.n Child has tried to defend the choice of actor in interviews, but i can't support it.

Overall not my cup of tea - 5/10. Shame cos i love the books and a good adaptation would have been great - apparently all the Reacher books have been optioned for movie adaptation, so hopefully with a different lead and a bit more pazzazz in the script and direction a better effort will appear sometime.

• Like 2

Also watched "Jack Reacher" last night - midget Tom Cruise stepping into the role of 6'5" Jack Reacher from the Lee Child books - in this case an adaptation of on of the first in the series "One Shot".

Its so long since i read the book i can't make comments about the adaptation following the storyline - but it seems pretty close. The element missing from the movie that the book (indeed all the Reacher books) has is pace - the movie plods along, whereas the Reacher books are all real page turners. Also Cruise is the wrong man for the job - Reacher's size is an integral part of his character in the books.n Child has tried to defend the choice of actor in interviews, but i can't support it.

Overall not my cup of tea - 5/10. Shame cos i love the books and a good adaptation would have been great - apparently all the Reacher books have been optioned for movie adaptation, so hopefully with a different lead and a bit more pazzazz in the script and direction a better effort will appear sometime.

I love the books and was not looking forward to the movie at all. The choice of Tom Cruise seemed ludicrous as Cruise is 5 foot 7 and the fictional Jack Reacher is 6 foot 5. (I guess it is not so ludicrous in the fact that Cruise himself bought the rights to all the Jack Reacher novels).

As you say Gooeng, Reacher's height is a big part of the books, so for seasoned fans it is hard bridge to cross.

Overall though, I found the movie okay, much better than I was expecting

For the SciFi nuts amongst us, anyone watching Fox's 'Almost Human'?

Only caught Episode 1 and it seemed to have some promise. (I think GrantSmith recommended it)

I thought it was fantasy not scifi.

ghost+werewolf+vampire = fantasy

Maybe you're thinking of another program. Almost Human = Future+Cops+Androids, not a ghost or vampire to be seen

Only caught Episode 1 and it seemed to have some promise. (I think GrantSmith recommended it)

I thought it was fantasy not scifi.

ghost+werewolf+vampire = fantasy

Almost Human is about an Android Cop who is teamed with a human Cop

You might be thinking of Being Human...that has Vampires and Werewolves

Certainly wasn't me tongue.png

By Crikey! First I attribute Castle to you and now Almost Human tongue.png

Edited by BookMan