What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Watched Jobs tonight. Really I should have taken GrantSmiths advice and not wasted my time. Jobs certainly is portrayed as a bit of an arse#ole. While there is some interesting timeline stuff, the movie doesn't answer any hard or obvious questions and it dawdles along for 2 hours.

I agree with GooEng, would have been nice to see it run up until recent times, certainly more of the ipod and iphone.

All in all a 4/10 from me

GooEng: Be interested to get your take on Jobs as well, don't know if I'd say I'm an apple convert, I guess so given my propensity for iDevices, there's actually a good line in the movie regarding how this "conversion" was created.

Watched "Jobs" last night and enjoyed it. Not sure how accurate it is but the acting was good and the narrative was well presented - my only disappointment was that it doesn't run up to the recent time - it seems to end sometime in the early 2000's instead of continuing with the story through the very recent huge upsurge in the interest in Apple devices.

So I finally sat through Jobs... F*** me wasn't he a real Rex Hunt! Suffice to say, don't waste the time downloading it, takes too long to get into it - if it ever really does, goes at dying snails pace... Forget it!

The Blacklist on the other hand, download it, watch it, go out for the day, come back and watch it again! Interesting twist at the end...

• Like 1

I bunged on The Family last night at the last minute as I was bored with the box and had finished Fridays funnies - Anger Management, The Crazy Ones, Two and a Half Men - which I thinks taking on a different meaning of "and a half men" this season hahah - and also Elementary.

All had me feeling perked up except Elementary but that's not a bad thing given the show ;)

So The Family, a bit of a cast of there, Lee Jones, De Nero and Pfeiffer (<deleted> me she's looking good for a 100!)

Gangster turns states evidence and goes into WitSec..

To be honest it was a bit of a pisser, I'd give it a 6...

Also re watched Inglorious Basterds in between the cricket today, but switched it to 3D for an experience haha.. Always good to revisit Tarentino's work, except - IMO - Kill Bill 1 & 2, I really couldn't get into them.

I'm either going to re watch either Fast & Furious 6, Bad Boys 2, Rush Hour 3 or The Wolverine all in 3D feeling like some kick arse action with some funnies..

Either that or bung on Blue Sky and watch The Hulk..

Kakadu.

Outstanding reality doco about some very unique country.

I liked this too, the Australian scenery was awesome.

For documentaries to watch I would recommend:

The Smartest Guys In the Room (Enron debacle)

Ken Burns - Dust Bowl (The development and causes of the worst environmental disaster in the US)

Ken Burns - The War (An interesting perspective focusing on selective towns in the US and people who went to serve)

Babies (curiously fascinating movie doc of early life of 4 babies in different countries - no dialog)

The Flaw (The economic meltdown)

NOVA - Spy Factory (pretty topical since it examines the activities of the NSA)

and if you're up to a something Thai related....

Banged Up Abroad - The Sandra Gregory Story ( An everyday tale of drug smuggling and life in Lard Yao Prison)

Ice Cream Girls

3 part x 45 minutes mini series from the UK. The story of 2 women, who as teenagers, were charged with the murder of a school; teacher.

The women, one just released from jail, the other who went free, cross paths 19 years later. Through current day events and flashbacks we learn about what happened.

The 3rd and final episode provides a very good twist and makes up for the other two weakish episodes.

Not in the class of some of the other small town crime dramas of the past 12 months but watchable

5.5/10 from me, based on the strength of the 3rd episode

Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa

Good for a laugh this one. Saw it with the GF on the big screen and we both enjoyed it. One or two 'hilarious' moments. A bit of the hidden camera style done as a movie. Johnny Knoxville is very convincing playing an 80 year old Grandpa

Worth a watch for some light hearted fun. 7/10.

Edited by BookMan

Ice Cream Girls

3 part x 45 minutes mini series from the UK.  The story of 2 women, who as teenagers, were charged with the murder of a school; teacher.

The women, one just released from jail, the other who went free, cross paths 19 years later.  Through current day events and flashbacks we learn about what happened.

The 3rd and final episode provides a very good twist and makes up for the other two weakish episodes.

Not in the class of some of the other small town crime dramas of the past 12 months but watchable

Before reading the 2nd part, I was already thinking this was going to be a lesbian thing... What a let down BM... lol

recently got into american stand-up comedian Louis CK. i like his stand up act and have seen a few of his HBO specials which he sells for very small prices on his site.

so i'm half way through watching the sitcom he wrote/directed/produced/starred in called .... Louie - clearly and autobiographical type thing and quite entertaining.

not laugh out loud funny, but more enjoyable than most sit-coms - short 20min episodes with a little story in each show interspersed with sections of him working doing stand up.

Here are two of my favourite crime mini series for 2013

The Fall

Broadchurch

Both excellent and looking forward to their return in 2014

I'm 2 episodes into Broadchurch and really enjoying it.

I was wracking my brain where have I seen the husband before.

Finally remembered he (Andrew Buchan) was the lead actor in

The Fixer, a 2 season series. This one is well worth a look if you

see it about.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0015083NK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p74_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1Y6RFNV22TB9GN3Z3BFY&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=430153987&pf_rd_i=468294

• Like 1

recently got into american stand-up comedian Louis CK. i like his stand up act and have seen a few of his HBO specials which he sells for very small prices on his site.

so i'm half way through watching the sitcom he wrote/directed/produced/starred in called .... Louie - clearly and autobiographical type thing and quite entertaining.

not laugh out loud funny, but more enjoyable than most sit-coms - short 20min episodes with a little story in each show interspersed with sections of him working doing stand up.

I mentioned Louie before, just finished season 3 and it's very funny.

I think Louie CK is one of the funniest guys out there. I usually prefer

English comedians like Ben Elton but Louie is so dark and politically incorrect

he just makes me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmban3Fio14

Ice Cream Girls

3 part x 45 minutes mini series from the UK. The story of 2 women, who as teenagers, were charged with the murder of a school; teacher.

The women, one just released from jail, the other who went free, cross paths 19 years later. Through current day events and flashbacks we learn about what happened.

Before reading the 2nd part, I was already thinking this was going to be a lesbian thing... What a let down BM... lol

I can confirm there is a girl on girl kiss in episode 2 tongue.png

Edited by BookMan

I mentioned Louie before, just finished season 3 and it's very funny.

I think Louie CK is one of the funniest guys out there. I usually prefer

English comedians like Ben Elton but Louie is so dark and politically incorrect

he just makes me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmban3Fio14

Louie has some funny moments...and some awkward ones biggrin.png

I do wish he would shut up with the constant masturbation jokes!

I think it has gotten better as it has gone on

• Like 1

The Lone Ranger: Well... If it weren't for Johnny Depp, the movie would have fallen apart and/or not have been worth watching. That being said, he is in it, and I must say it's almost a native american variation of Captain Jack Sparrow... Lots of witty one liners put in a way only Depp can do.. Otherwise a fairly bog standard version of the story. I'm pushing a 5, without Depp probably a 3.5....

Yep. Just watched some of it. What a shocker of a movie...I fast forwarded it and then gave up.

3.5 even with Depp laugh.png

The Lone Ranger: Well... If it weren't for Johnny Depp, the movie would have fallen apart and/or not have been worth watching. That being said, he is in it, and I must say it's almost a native american variation of Captain Jack Sparrow... Lots of witty one liners put in a way only Depp can do.. Otherwise a fairly bog standard version of the story. I'm pushing a 5, without Depp probably a 3.5....

Yep. Just watched some of it. What a shocker of a movie...I fast forwarded it and then gave up.

3.5 even with Depp Posted Image

Likewise - had a quick look at it a few months back and binned it without watching it all.

3.5 even with Depp laugh.png

Likewise - had a quick look at it a few months back and binned it without watching it all.

Yeah I squirmed through this one too. Got to agree, Johnny Depp, as good as he is, basically just did Jack Sparrow in a native american costume, No surprise it counts as one of the biggest box office failures of all time

So the missus and I just did a Smurfathon..

Stupidly funny..

Almost in the PMU range..

2nd was better given the addition of Brendon Gleeson..

They could've made Gargamel's appearance more real, it looked a bit cheap..

I'll give them a combined 13/20..

• Like 1

So the missus and I just did a Smurfathon..

Stupidly funny..

Almost in the PMU range..

2nd was better given the addition of Brendon Gleeson..

They could've made Gargamel's appearance more real, it looked a bit cheap..

I'll give them a combined 13/20..

The GF enjoyed SMurfs 2. Even bought a soft toy of the female smurfette tongue.png

Passive Aggressive Smurf? Some kind of in-joke perhaps?

The GF and I caught up with Ender’s Game, a Sci-fi style movie. Was looking forward to this one.

Based on a book by Scott Orson Card. It is about a young teen (Ender Wiggin) who is trained to be commander against an attack by the Formics, an alien race who attacked Earth 50 years previously.

There is a series of a dozen books so a sequel or three can be expected.

6/10 from me

7/10 from the GF

The GF enjoyed SMurfs 2. Even bought a soft toy of the female smurfette tongue.png

Passive Aggressive Smurf? Some kind of in-joke perhaps?

Yeah there were some certain "smurfs" that I'd never heard of - he being one of them - gave me a bit of a chuckle though... I thought Grouchy smurfs about face into "Positive" smurf was pretty funny too... Then you had "Social" and "Party Planner" Smurfs hahaha... "Smooth" Smurf voiced by Shaq? Hahaha, though Cedric The Entertainer would've been my choice for that voice ;) I actually had Hackus pegged for Seth Rogan, was way off the mark there!

I was actually struggling to pick out the voices for Smurfette and Vexy - didn't spoil it by checking IMDB first - when I saw the credits (for both) I was like "argh, of course"

Be interesting to see if they go for a third...