What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

So whats the verdict on the appearance of "Bishop", the new female member for NCIS ?

Opinions ?

Also, The Following is starting to become quite annoying, draggin it on and on, think they could have just done one good series, not try to drag it into two which is now seriously starting to annoy me with its predictability.

Bishop? Better if she was single, like the nerd angle though but no replacement for Ziva tongue.png

The Following: no way dude, Hardy's now asking for backup, his neice is a hotty and Weston's going rogue! Joe needs to get rid of that whiney tart Emma for this series to continue tongue.png Be good to see that Lilly Grey side cult storyline develop as well, she's a bit of a nutter but gave it an added element of je ne sais quoi...

I have to say I was getting a little irritated with the Following, I agree it was kinda dragging. Now Ryan has finally re-engaged with the FBI I'm hoping we're back on the 'straight 'n narrow' so to speak and thinks pick back up

• Like 1

For those of you who enjoy a good Pommy cop show, you could do a lot worse than

Line of Duty.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CP5VY1W/ref=s9_simh_gw_p74_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1WXYKF1AEHC4AB7MRJHF&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

"When a counterterrorism raid goes tragically wrong, Detective Sergeant Steve Arnott refuses to participate in a cover-up. Ostracised by colleagues, he transfers to an anticorruption unit, AC-12, in the process of investigating one of the Force’s most respected officers, Detective Chief Inspector Tony Gates."

Only 2 series so far, but I really liked this one. A solid 7.5 from me.

• Like 1

Line of Duty.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CP5VY1W/ref=s9_simh_gw_p74_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1WXYKF1AEHC4AB7MRJHF&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

"When a counterterrorism raid goes tragically wrong, Detective Sergeant Steve Arnott refuses to participate in a cover-up. Ostracised by colleagues, he transfers to an anticorruption unit, AC-12, in the process of investigating one of the Force’s most respected officers, Detective Chief Inspector Tony Gates."

Thanks for the heads up will27. I watched season one quite a while back and didnt know Season 2 was out

• Like 1

Line of Duty.

Thanks for the heads up will27. I watched season one quite a while back and didnt know Season 2 was out

Well I think I'm going to be out of step with most of ya. I 'kinda' liked Line of Duty, but frankly I did find it like a lot of British cop dramas (Luther is I emphasize NOT lumped in with this generalization) a tad slow. Then again, I am an American and hence have the attention span of a Fruit Fly! The other thing I truly detested which seems to afflict many a British show is the obsession with filming using hand held camera's. I find it distracting, irritating, dunno what else I can say about it. I 'suppose' it's supposed to make it 'edgy' drives me to the Off button. The Thick of It, which I actually find humorous is really appalling from my perspective with regard to this.

On the positive side, Lennie James is a great actor. First noticed him in the absolutely fantastic show Jericho (May a plague of locusts descend on CBS HQ, and the testicles of all CBS programming heads shrivel, for cancelling the show one season too early) where he played what I think was a far more complex and better character than he plays in Line of Duty

• Like 1

Line of Duty.

Well I think I'm going to be out of step with most of ya. I 'kinda' liked Line of Duty, but frankly I did find it like a lot of British cop dramas (Luther is I emphasize NOT lumped in with this generalization) a tad slow. Then again, I am an American and hence have the attention span of a Fruit Fly! The other thing I truly detested which seems to afflict many a British show is the obsession with filming using hand held camera's. I find it distracting, irritating, dunno what else I can say about it. I 'suppose' it's supposed to make it 'edgy' drives me to the Off button. The Thick of It, which I actually find humorous is really appalling from my perspective with regard to this.

On the positive side, Lennie James is a great actor. First noticed him in the absolutely fantastic show Jericho (May a plague of locusts descend on CBS HQ, and the testicles of all CBS programming heads shrivel, for cancelling the show one season too early) where he played what I think was a far more complex and better character than he plays in Line of Duty

There has been a rash of British crime shows like this the last decade, lot of good ones though.

Shame about Jericho being cancelled back when it was.

I'm feeling they should cancel Walking Dead or change direction again. The second half of this season has not been as good as the first half. They started the first half strong and redeemed the series.

But now, my god! I do not not want to hear two people in a post apocalyptic zombie situation sharing their deepest fears and expressing their emotions. <deleted>! And the 'she/he is still alive, i will find them on my own' dramas. That is a newbie first season survivors rant. c'mon, this is season 4, these are hardened survivors!

• Like 1

I'm feeling they should cancel Walking Dead or change direction again.

I agree. Watching them fight those wimpy zombies with little other plot is getting boring. They are making them more nasty lately, but still not very exciting. I keep watching it though.

• Like 2

I'm feeling they should cancel Walking Dead or change direction again.

I agree. Watching them fight those wimpy zombies with little other plot is getting boring. They are making them more nasty lately, but still not very exciting. I keep watching it though.

For better or worse they are sticking pretty closely to the flow of the comic books. I was a fan of the comics too, difference being its a bit easier to flick quickly through a few pages to speed things up. Hang in there!

For better or worse they are sticking pretty closely to the flow of the comic books.

That is interesting. I didn't realize that. I thought that it was completely separate plot with some of the same characters, but I have never seen the comic books.

For better or worse they are sticking pretty closely to the flow of the comic books.

That is interesting. I didn't realize that. I thought that it was completely separate plot with some of the same characters, but I have never seen the comic books.

I haven't read the comic books either, but I would if they came past my desk.

The series got a heap better early on (mid way series 2?) when they sacked one of the comic book writers, who was co-writing the TV scripts and got someone else in.

BEST graphic novel series I have read (for script + artwork) would have to be Transmetropolitan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmetropolitan

Movie - All Is Lost

IMDB: After a collision with a shipping container at sea, a resourceful sailor finds himself,

despite all efforts to the contrary, staring his mortality in the face.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2017038/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I'll start off by saying that this movie will probably put a lot of people to sleep.

Nobody is raped, murdered or neither is anything blown to smithereens.

The movie has virtually no dialogue. Just a man and his boat against the

elements.

Robert Redford at 77 gives an incredible performance.

I really liked this one. I'm rating it a 7.5/8 but can see why it won't be everyone's

cup of tea.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

Movie - All Is Lost

IMDB: After a collision with a shipping container at sea, a resourceful sailor finds himself,

I'll start off by saying that this movie will probably put a lot of people to sleep.

elements.

I really liked this one. I'm rating it a 7.5/8 but can see why it won't be everyone's

cup of tea.

Interesting you comment about the lack of action and different characters. That's why I have not watched it yet and the same for Gravity. I'll have to wait for the mood to hit tongue.png

Watched Saving Mr Banks last night with the wife..

Really should have watched Marry Poppins to have averted a number of questions from the bleachers...

I must say, I don't normally like Emma Thompson in these roles but I thoroughly enjoyed her portrayal of P.L Travers...

I didn't enjoy Colin Farrell in this though, not his typical bad boy action persona and it was probably better suited to that other Colin, Firth..

Didn't realise that Hanks is actually related to Disney...

Solid 8/10 for me...

After that I did a do-over of 'Role Models' - needed a stupid funny movie after Saving Mr Banks..

The line 'you white? You Ben Affleck' gets me every time...

Movie - All Is Lost

elements.

cup of tea.

Interesting you comment about the lack of action and different characters. That's why I have not watched it yet and the same for Gravity. I'll have to wait for the mood to hit tongue.png

I watched All Is Lost after listening to Redford interviewed on Fresh Air with Terrie Gross. Put me to sleep, well I certainly dozed off somewhere in the middle! I wouldn't put Gravity in the same sentance as the previous movie. People die things blow up, and it's all the evil Rusians fault for blowing up a satellite. Magic stuff!

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I see they're spinning off NCIS again and doing a New Orleans one in the upcoming pilot season

Never been much of an NCIS or CSI fan, myself

Hopefully fairs better than the earlier proposed spin off of NCIS: LA - NCIS: Red...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I see they're spinning off NCIS again and doing a New Orleans one in the upcoming pilot season

Hopefully fairs better than the earlier proposed spin off of NCIS: LA - NCIS: Red...

NCIS Los Angeles ain't proposed been on your years, Season 5 this year I believe. Now don't quote me on this, but pretty sure I read somewhere it gets better ratings than the original. Personally I think Daniella Ruah (think that's how she spells it) is hotter as Kensi than Siva ever was.

Maybe its the adolescent male hormone thingy affecting ratings, hehehe

NCIS Los Angeles ain't proposed been on your years, Season 5 this year I believe. Now don't quote me on this, but pretty sure I read somewhere it gets better ratings than the original. Personally I think Daniella Ruah (think that's how she spells it) is hotter as Kensi than Siva ever was.

I liked the first few seasons of CSI and NCIS..nothing to do with eye candy or anything whistling.gif

Perhaps you need to re-read... I said proposed spin off of... Meaning NCIS: Red was a 'proposed' spin off of NCIS: LA

;)

Kensi has a better sense of humour than Ziva, which gives her a better overall package ;)

Watching Helix (worst title music ever though! - like Blue Oyster in Police Academy movies).

Walking Dead is starting to take shape again (zombies are less the problem now as are other human factions - and the possibility of finding out how it happened).

Started watching Black Sails, but got a bit to cliché, might revisit it later.

Murder in Paradise (season 2) is great and unbelievably perhaps got past the fact that the lead dropped out at the end of season 1 (although I did guess right on the method of transition) - they did a good job of not trying to emulate him, but replace him with an equally broken but different character altogether - enjoying it immensely.

Also watching Revolution which has had ups and downs, but is on the up trend right now I think.

Banshee is still good, but I think trying to cover too much and thus vaguely (too many bad guys right now).

Hannibal (season 2) is doing well too - slower than series 1, but with more story than ssn1 where it was more of a crime-per-episode (like old cop shows) - enjoying that too.

House of Cards is great, but because they put them all up at the same time (NetFlix) means I saw them all back to back and now waiting for season 3 smile.png.

Vikings has started again (season 2 - up to episode 3 so far) - and is looking very good - loved the first series,. this one is looking even better!

Also, TeenWolf, enjoying smile.png.

Suits is back on, same general story line as earlier series, but just as good.

Twisted, getting bored of that now - hard to say why without spoilers, so just say, the main character is becoming less and less interesting, the more we learn.

Continuum is about to start again - a teaser (10 minutes free web short) has been released - looks good (but cops, even the future cop, are thick as treacle - so easy to work stuff out they seem to either take forever or finding out after the fact - Like, says to time traveller "I killed you. How can you be alive?" - der! didn't actually say, but you call at the screen "He's a time traveller - you haven't killed him yet in HIS timeline! Thanks for the warning!").

Elementary - Just as good - fun with Lestrad too.

Perception is back on too - good as ever smile.png

Reign - started watching it, got bored, stopped watching it (after about 6 episodes I guess).

American is back on - brilliant show!

Ink Master is back on - must say I preferred the earlier series more than this one so far.

Justified - Season 5 - Excellent show IMO. Love it.

Agents od SHIELD - escapism at its best - enjoyable show (with brain disengaged of course).

Originals - Just keeps getting better! Set to be much better than VD (erm that's Vampire Diaries, not the STD!)

Remedy - Hospital drama - early days, but enjoying it so far. 2 sisters and dad work in a hospital (dad=chief of staff, daughters = nurse and surgeon) - medical student dropout and drug addict son/brother has to work at the hospital as a poter. Good story so far and fun, and less clichéd than I expected.

Intelligence - OK show - another Brain Disengaged before watching show - but good for a little action and mild scifi.

Almost Human - Actually really enjoying this new take on a cop show (OK been done before - and Isaac Asimov wrote many book about it 80 years ago!). Well acted, good characters and casting IMO - and story line is good, although simple, too.

The Following: I watch this, but it is one I can take or leave. It is getting a bit better now after a slow start.

Silk: Series 3 - Brilliant show, best law drama on the planet IMO.

Edited by wolf5370
  • Like 1

Perhaps you need to re-read... I said proposed spin off of... Meaning NCIS: Red was a 'proposed' spin off of NCIS: LA

wink.png

Kensi has a better sense of humour than Ziva, which gives her a better overall package wink.png

Oh Jeez, I've already had my first glass of the wine for the evening, re-reading let alone comprehending anything I re-read is certainly outside of the operating parameters LOL

• Like 1

Watching Helix (worst title music ever though! - like Blue Oyster in Police Academy movies).

Walking Dead is starting to take shape again (zombies are less the problem now as are other human factions - and the possibility of finding out how it happened).

Started watching Black Sails, but got a bit to cliché, might revisit it later.

Murder in Paradise (season 2) is great and unbelievably perhaps got past the fact that the lead dropped out at the end of season 1 (although I did guess right on the method of transition) - they did a good job of not trying to emulate him, but replace him with an equally broken but different character altogether - enjoying it immensely.

Also watching Revolution which has had ups and downs, but is on the up trend right now I think.

Banshee is still good, but I think trying to cover too much and thus vaguely (too many bad guys right now).

Hannibal (season 2) is doing well too - slower than series 1, but with more story than ssn1 where it was more of a crime-per-episode (like old cop shows) - enjoying that too.

House of Cards is great, but because they put them all up at the same time (NetFlix) means I saw them all back to back and now waiting for season 3 smile.png.

Vikings has started again (season 2 - up to episode 3 so far) - and is looking very good - loved the first series,. this one is looking even better!

Also, TeenWolf, enjoying smile.png.

Suits is back on, same general story line as earlier series, but just as good.

Twisted, getting bored of that now - hard to say why without spoilers, so just say, the main character is becoming less and less interesting, the more we learn.

Continuum is about to start again - a teaser (10 minutes free web short) has been released - looks good (but cops, even the future cop, are thick as treacle - so easy to work stuff out they seem to either take forever or finding out after the fact - Like, says to time traveller "I killed you. How can you be alive?" - der! didn't actually say, but you call at the screen "He's a time traveller - you haven't killed him yet in HIS timeline! Thanks for the warning!").

Elementary - Just as good - fun with Lestrad too.

Perception is back on too - good as ever smile.png

Reign - started watching it, got bored, stopped watching it (after about 6 episodes I guess).

American is back on - brilliant show!

Ink Master is back on - must say I preferred the earlier series more than this one so far.

Justified - Season 5 - Excellent show IMO. Love it.

Agents od SHIELD - escapism at its best - enjoyable show (with brain disengaged of course).

Originals - Just keeps getting better! Set to be much better than VD (erm that's Vampire Diaries, not the STD!)

Remedy - Hospital drama - early days, but enjoying it so far. 2 sisters and dad work in a hospital (dad=chief of staff, daughters = nurse and surgeon) - medical student dropout and drug addict son/brother has to work at the hospital as a poter. Good story so far and fun, and less clichéd than I expected.

Intelligence - OK show - another Brain Disengaged before watching show - but good for a little action and mild scifi.

Almost Human - Actually really enjoying this new take on a cop show (OK been done before - and Isaac Asimov wrote many book about it 80 years ago!). Well acted, good characters and casting IMO - and story line is good, although simple, too.

The Following: I watch this, but it is one I can take or leave. It is getting a bit better now after a slow start.

clap2.gif

excellent summary wolf

Edited by BookMan

I'll have to give it a try. I like most law series. I just hope that the accents are not too difficult for me to make out. That happens from time to time with British TV.

I'll have to give it a try. I like most law series. I just hope that the accents are not too difficult for me to make out. That happens from time to time with British TV.

I was told Gregory's Girl was subtitled or dubbed in the US.

I was told Gregory's Girl was subtitled or dubbed in the US.

Train Spotting must have been - 80% of the UK couldn't understand a bloody word let alone outside!

• Like 2

Haven't, read thru all the likes, but now watching, "The Newsroom" with Jeff Daniels. Very good. I wonder if the series carried on. But a note this series though wonderfully done depicts media/Journalism dedication to truth back in the 70s. The show is 2010 when no US network cared about truth outside "Ratings".

Sent from my LG-D802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Haven't, read thru all the likes, but now watching, "The Newsroom" with Jeff Daniels. Very good. I wonder if the series carried on. But a note this series though wonderfully done depicts media/Journalism dedication to truth back in the 70s. The show is 2010 when no US network cared about truth outside "Ratings".

Sent from my LG-D802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yep, an excellent show.

Season 2 is finished but not sure if there will be a season 3.

Random movies from the last month or so..

Mystery Road

An Australian crime/detective movie. A top Australian cast keeps this one ticking along. Nothing too new or exciting about the plotline, but the landscapes and surrounds are real enough. Another one of those crime shows leaving you feeling lucky you don’t live in regional/remote shi#holes like this. (Set in Winton Queensland).

7.5/10

Run

RUN is a fast-paced, action/thriller, which centers on a street smart, 17-year-old named Daniel who practices Parkour and is both hero and thief. (from IMDB)

4/10 from me

Life of A King

Despite featuring Cuba Gooding Jnr this is an okay movie.

Based on the true story of Eugene Brown, an ex con, just released from jail. He gets a job at the local school and starts a chess club for inner-city youths

Standard feel good plotline. Troubled inner city school youths. Ex-con gang member making good. Tough gang member is brilliant player. 5/10

Seconds From Disaster documentary series

This is a National Geo TV series tat has been running for a years now

The one i just watched was about the 2011 Norway attacks where 70+ people were shot on an Island .

About 48 minutes in length per episode

Drug War

A Chinese/Hog Kong production. Action/drama/detective movie about tracking down the kingpins in a drug syndicate. There are full on shoot outs with one scene going for over 10 minutes. Action packed entertainment throughout. English subs available. 7.5/10

Arn The Knight Templar (1 & 2)

Swedish movie based on a series of novels. It is about a Swede who becomes a fighting Monk, a Knights templar. Not enough action for my liking. Very little action at all. Kind of meanders along. Hardcoded English subs copy available. 5/10. There is also an International version that combines 1&2 into a 120 minute version.

Last Temptation in Thailand

A documentary of an American guy and his thoughts on Thailand, specically dating/love/women. A lot of referencing the teachings of Buddha intermingled with his own personal philosophies on life, women and destination.

Nearly all the women he meets are bargirls. His one ‘good girl’, Ann, he is interested in works for Citibank in bkk....it does seem however that Ann is able to take an awful lot of time off her work...

Nothing sensationalist here. Overall a positive take on life. Worth a look. 6/10

Adult World

This one stars John Cusack and Emma Roberts (Julia Roberts niece).

From Rotten Tomatoes: a satirical comedy about an eccentric young woman, Amy Anderson, (Emma Roberts) who has just come out of university, convinced she's going to be a famous poet. Saddled with debt and unemployed she moves back in with her parents who force her to get a job. Desperate and armed with a poetry degree and not much else she takes the only job she can find, working in an adult book store called Adult World. Meanwhile, desperate to get her poems published, Amy stalks an aging punk poet figure named Rat Billings (John Cusack), "one of the greatest poets of the early 90s." Rat reluctantly agrees to mentor her. As Amy makes new friends, including a drag queen named Rubia, the elderly couple who own Adult World, and Alex, the charming and quirky young manager, she learns that she might not be the voice of her generation after all.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/adult_world_2013/

5/10 from me

• Like 1

I watched Gravity a few days ago, in a word, disappointing. 3/10.

on the other hand I have been watching through my parent's collection of Andre Rieu, always entertaining watching classical music performed and recorded live , it even has some comedy thrown in. 8/10

• Like 1