Bringing YouTube Download Files and Mussels

moogradod

I have many YouTube Download Files on my data discs which I will bring to Thailand. It is strictly for personal use and used as a backup. Could I face any problems at customs ? YouTube is not an illegal source and the downloads are completely legal in Switzerland. I suspect this is a grey area but not sure. Maybe someone has more experience.

The next one seems to be as well a minor issue, but one never knows: My wife has put some (6 or 7 pieces) shells in our container to Thailand which I brought home from the Philippines some 30 years ago. Of course I do not have the slightest idea if the species fall under any protection act. Again, possible problems and consequences if they discover the shells on import inspection ? Experiences ?

No opinions anyone ? Especially the YouTube question must be something of general interest and concern. If there is any doubt then I better delete all the files.

As for the shells I will contact the shipping agency. One of their employees actually stated before the packing that it would be no problem on import - but this has to be questioned now after I have done some internet research now by myself. Mostly they speak of export from Thailand but maybe import may be also an issue which has to be resolved.

Unless the U tube videos are of the sort banned in Thailand (yes some are banned and removed from thai version) I can't see any problems.

There have been a few reports of poeple being prosecuted for marine life "violations" like feeding the fish or bleaching dead coral...lf the shells are of low monetary or sentimental value I would err on the cautious side and not bring them.

Thanks John

As for the shells, they are already in the container heading for Thailand - my Thai wife has relied on the personnel packing the container saying that this is OK. But maybe it is still possible for her not to import them nevertheless if this could cause a problem.

I have searched for this coral case you refer to and this is frightening.

Just thought that when the container arrives at the port this might not mean that the things are imported yet  - this is maybe the time something can be done - but I am no shipping agency and do not know.

Did I ever hear that a foreigners disk has been inspected by Thai customs?

No, likelihood 0.01%.

Many mates who moved to Thailand (some only for winter period) had a collection of movies with them. And don't think that this was proper licensed material.

No one ever been asked or stopped.

This is not entry to the US from Thailand :whistling: and you are not on a "suspect" list (pedophiles, political activist etc.).

Youtube videos: as others wrote there is very little content that is blocked/forbidden in Thailand.

You would have to be an insider to Thai politics and monarchy to even have an idea what it is about.

And after moving to Thailand one of the first things you will urge for is a high speed internet connection and then forget your downloads :biggrin: (only exception would be stuff that has been removed).

No idea about the shells.

Are they declared explicitly on the packing list?

Edited by KhunBENQ