Visa Options when not Completing Contract

What are my options when if I tell my boss I won't be completing my contract and will resign three months before the contract is up. I know my boss won't be too bothered about it because of the nature of the work. I have been told by other employees he usually asks for one's work permit and returns it to the Labour Department within a few days in which case I would have to leave the country and come back with a visa from Laos (possibly  a Non-O based on marriage). But could I go to local immigration where I got my Non-B and have them cancel the visa and could I then apply for a 60 day visa to visit my Thai wife? Could I apply for a retirement visa on the same day that I go to immigration to cancel my existing visa? And will immigration just cancel my visa without any questions? Do I need proof that I have returned my work permit? Or would I need a letter from my employer and if so, what if he doesn't want to write one. If I decide to go to Laos and apply for a visa to return to Thailand can I go overland to Savanakaat? I have read that Thai immigration  might not let me leave the country if my Non-B has not been properly cancelled. In which case I would have to fly to Laos. Apparently Thai Immigration at the airport won't bother about the Non-B not being properly cancelled. Would Thai Immigration at the airport actually cancel my visa so I won't have any problems applying for a new visa in Laos? I have also read that one can get a one week extension after one cancels one's Non-O visa. 

Lots of questions and thanks in advance for considering them.

I am presently on my second one-year Non-O 'extension' ( I guess it is not a visa because it was extended in country.) 

I went to Laos about 2 years ago with company documents and applied for a Non-B. I got a 3-month visa to enter Thailand and work. I then extended it at immigration for nine more months. After the nine months was up I got a one year extension which will expire within about five months. 

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife or you could change your current extension of stay from woking to retirement or marriage if you can meet the financial requirements to apply. You will need a termination letter from employer to cancel you cancel your current extension.

You should give your employer 30 days notice of your intend to resign. You may also be eligible for severance pay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife or you could change your current extension of stay from woking to retirement or marriage if you can meet the financial requirements to apply. You will need a termination letter from employer to cancel you cancel your current extension.

You should give your employer 30 days notice of your intend to resign. You may also be eligible for severance pay.

I think if you resign no severance pay is due to you. If the company was moving location and the new location was too far from your home etc you could be entitled to severence pay if you resign because of those circumstances. Just resigning means it's your decision so you will not be due any payments.

Edited by overherebc

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you resign yourself, you don't get severance pay.

If you plan on working again in the future you are best advised to change the reason for your stay from work to being married to a Thai. That way, if you work again in the future, your permit to stay isn't linked to your work and you can change jobs as often as you want. 

• Like 1