Israeli minister threatens Assad over any Iranian attacks from Syria

webfact

Israeli minister threatens Assad over any Iranian attacks from Syria

2018-05-07T081934Z_1_LYNXMPEE460H4_RTROPTP_3_ENERGY-NATGAS-CYPRUS.JPG

FILE PHOTO - Israel's Energy Minister Yuval Steinitz is seen during a quadrilateral Ministerial Summit in Nicosia, Cyprus December 5, 2017. REUTERS/Yiannis Kourtoglou

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - An Israeli security cabinet minister said on Monday that Israel could kill Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and topple his government if Iran used Syrian territory to carry out attacks on Israel.

"Israel has not gotten involved in the (Syrian) civil war so far," Energy Minister Yuval Steinitz was quoted as telling the Israeli news site Ynet.

"If Syrian President Bashar al-Assad continues allowing Iran to operate within Syrian territory, Israel will liquidate him and topple his regime," he was quoted as saying.

"If Assad lets Iran turn Syria into a military base against us, to attack us from Syrian territory, he should know that will be the end of him."

(Writing by Dan Williams; Editing by Hugh Lawson)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-05-07
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

What a good idea and you have to wonder why the 'Allies' haven't done it years ago.  Where are all the 'James Bond' types we are led to believe exist ?.,...Lol.

The James Bond types all existed at a time when governments kept mum about what was going on in the world.  Now any big mouth, like this guy, can just publicly talk any nonsense whatsoever.  There are powers at play the the average joe has absolutely no idea of.  99% of media these days is made up of plain old hyperbole or just fake news.  The sheep are always led to slaughter by the wolves in sheep's clothing. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I wonder how the Russians might feel about that threat.

I think they would totally understand it. I'm no fan of Putin and what he's done in Syria, Ukraine, etc. but I don't believe he supports attacks on Israel from Syria. 

• Like 1