True Vision Take Over Premiership Games From August

Mobi

The following was in the Business Post a couple of days ago:

TrueVisions marks name change with Premier League coup

WORANUJ MANEERUNGSEE

TrueVisions Plc, the pay-TV operator formerly known as United Broadcasting Corp, has won the exclusive rights to broadcast Premier League matches in Thailand. Supachai Chearavanont, the president and chief executive, confirmed the report, but declined to offer details.

Sources said the company beat ESPN Star, a joint venture between the US sports channel ESPN and Star TV, the Asian broadcaster owned by News Corp. The rights reportedly are for the 2007 to 2010 seasons starting this coming August.

Attaphon Na Bangxang, TrueVisions' chief programme and content officer, said the company competed for the rights to better position Premier League matches as the flagship of its sports offerings.

''It would be better if we can manage the rights. We know that we have won the rights, but now have to negotiate further details about what we will get and how we will manage them,'' he said.

He declined to comment on whether the matches would be broadcast on free TV channels.

UBC reportedly paid up to 500 million baht for the lucrative contract, and could look to repackage content through the internet and mobile-phone channels of parent True Corp.

Mr Attaphon noted that UBC also held exclusive rights to Grand Slam tennis as well as the PGA golf tour.

UBC yesterday announced it was rebranding to become TrueVisions, a move that Mr Supachai said would highlight the company's focus on the mass market and the links with True.

Programme offerings would be further segmented to meet different markets, such as Japanese viewers, he said.

A promotion tied with True's mobile-phone service helped boost television subscribers to 630,000 at the end of 2006 from 520,000 at the end of September.

Mr Supachai said similar packages would be offered tying in various telecommunications and media services from True this year to help boost TrueVisions' client base to one million this year.

Among local telecom operators, True has been the strongest proponent of ''convergence'', under which media content is repackaged together across wireless, fixed-line and broadband telecommunication channels.

Mr Supachai said TrueVisions aimed to reach 50% of Thai households, or eight million nationwide, within three years. The company plans to spend 35 million baht this year on marketing and promoting its new brand.

Now I'm not a massive fan of English football these days, but as there's is little other sport to watch, I am a regular viewer, and do enjoy the ESPN/Star sports pundits and their programmes which lead into and comment on the live games that are transmitted by them.

Under the new deal, True Vision will go it alone - so that may even mean that games become Pay per view. Maybe just the big games - but even so a major change from what we have been used to.

Heaven forbid, but we might even have a repeat of the World Cup fiasco, where there is no English commentary!!

In any event, it looks like ESPN are out in the cold as far as Thailand is concerened, so does that mean we will no longer have the benefit of their other pundit programmes? And what about other sports coverage? Golf, tennis? Is this the shape of things to come?

If the fiasco surrounding True Vissions re- numbering of our channels is anything to go by, I think we might be in for a frustrating time with our TV sports coverage in Thailand.

In any event, it looks like ESPN are out in the cold as far as Thailand is concerened, so does that mean we will no longer have the benefit of their other pundit programmes? And what about other sports coverage? Golf, tennis? Is this the shape of things to come?

Mobi, the True Visions website is listing ESPN in their new channel listings, so they may be packaging the premiership games differently. Given how quickly VH1 and MT disappeared, I guess we won't know until on the day.

Mobi, the True Visions website is listing ESPN in their new channel listings, so they may be packaging the premiership games differently. Given how quickly VH1 and MT disappeared, I guess we won't know until on the day.

What I meant to say was that ESPN are out in the cold as far as transmitting the live matches are concerened, and I am curious whether we will still have the benefit of their local sports programmes on the EPL etc.

It seems unlikely that True will start asembling a local team of farangs in Thailand to discuss and offer comments.

As you say, they still show ESPN in their listings - but the new contract doesn't start until the new season in August. In any event, they can cancel any channel whenever the mood takes them; as you also stated. :o

Well, it's up to the mods, but this subject is more than just sports - it's all about what's going on at TrueVision (just happens to be sports related) - which could also belong on the internet, computer etc forum.

So in my undoubted wisdom, I thought I'd go for the general forum.

Jolly Hockey sticks, let's have a bully off :o

Well, it's up to the mods, but this subject is more than just sports - it's all about what's going on at TrueVision (just happens to be sports related) - which could also belong on the internet, computer etc forum.

OK, I'm with you. Did you bring the popcorn and beer?

Hockey is multiples better than soccer, but I agree this is about TrueVision. Their Jan. 2007 monthly schedule they mail out has the Disney Channel logo, but since the advert is in Thai I can't read it. By any chance, would you know when the Disney Channel will be added?

It seems that ESPN pretty much only plays the English Premier League. During the day it is just re-runs of past games. The only other programming that interests me is the NBA and NFL, but they are probably only of interests to Americans. From the TV poll, only about 25% of us are Americans.

My guess would be that ESPN and StarSports will be dropped and TrueVissions will make their own sports channel. This is just what it did with MTV and VH1. I'm guessing it was probably cheaper to buy the rights for the games than to pay ESPN/StarSports their rental fee.

It seems that ESPN pretty much only plays the English Premier League. During the day it is just re-runs of past games. The only other programming that interests me is the NBA and NFL, but they are probably only of interests to Americans. From the TV poll, only about 25% of us are Americans.

My guess would be that ESPN and StarSports will be dropped and TrueVissions will make their own sports channel. This is just what it did with MTV and VH1. I'm guessing it was probably cheaper to buy the rights for the games than to pay ESPN/StarSports their rental fee.

I doubt they would drop NFL and NBA games, as these sports are popular with Thais (at least in the cities), due primarily to many Thais having been educated in the US. Also, both of these channels carry tennis, also popular locally. They did drop NHL hockey, but hockey really has never been popular in Thailand.

I doubt they would drop NFL and NBA games, as these sports are popular with Thais (at least in the cities), due primarily to many Thais having been educated in the US. Also, both of these channels carry tennis, also popular locally. They did drop NHL hockey, but hockey really has never been popular in Thailand.

The article states that TrueVissions already bought the rights to the Grand Slams of tennis and to the PGA. I don't see anything left except NBA and NFL on TrueVissions that are big here. And I'm not sure if these two sports are big enough to keep ESPN and StarSports. TrueVissions is buying the rights to all the top watched sports so they won't need ESPN or StarSports anymore. NFL is already on SuperSports.

The article states that TrueVissions already bought the rights to the Grand Slams of tennis and to the PGA. I don't see anything left except NBA and NFL on TrueVissions that are big here. And I'm not sure if these two sports are big enough to keep ESPN and StarSports. TrueVissions is buying the rights to all the top watched sports so they won't need ESPN or StarSports anymore. NFL is already on SuperSports.

I guess that means an end to Sunday night and Monday night NFL games, which aren't carried in the middle of the night by SuperSports. At the end of the day it is what Thais want. UBC dumped MTV and VH1 because Thais wanted the Asian music scene and MTV and VH1 got too costly. As you say, probably the same here as well. It was good while it lasted.

Excellent reason to finally chuck out UBC or whatever they will be called at the time.

I LOVE the ESPN/Star shows that focus on the Premiership and other major European football leagues. If that stops then so will my UBC subscription, it's the ONLY thing that still keeps me with UBC.

I'd almost welcome it, and add 1500 or so baht to the beer budget.

Excellent reason to finally chuck out UBC or whatever they will be called at the time.

I LOVE the ESPN/Star shows that focus on the Premiership and other major European football leagues. If that stops then so will my UBC subscription, it's the ONLY thing that still keeps me with UBC.

I'd almost welcome it, and add 1500 or so baht to the beer budget.

Yeah, I've kinda got quite fond of those pundits too.

They will probably be replaced by some Thai pundits, speaking Thai. :o