Cocaine breathalyser 'one step closer'

webfact

Cocaine breathalyser 'one step closer'

Researchers in the US say they have developed a low-cost chip that can detect cocaine in minutes.

The team hopes it will lead to the development of a portable cocaine breathalyser that can tell if a person has used the drug.

At present, it says the chip can only analyse substances extracted from blood, breath, urine or saliva samples using a purification process.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44055074

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2018-05-10

18 minutes ago, daoyai said:

big brother gets bigger by the day

I get a kick out of all the people that want to legalize drugs. They are walking into a trap and their drug addled minds don't seem to understand that. Sure, take all the drugs you want, but if you are impaired in any way, (duh!) you enter the system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I don’t take drugs, so it’s not the thoughts a drug addled mind that convinces me it’s time to legalise a number of the drugs that are currently illegal.

I think more people are going to come in contact with the crimonal justice system once drugs are legalized than would have were they not.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

I get a kick out of all the people that want to legalize drugs. They are walking into a trap and their drug addled minds don't seem to understand that. Sure, take all the drugs you want, but if you are impaired in any way, (duh!) you enter the system.

not sure i see the point of your statement.

you get pulled over driving a car off your tits on anything you enter the system as well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The complete opposite has occurred in US States that have decriminalised weed.

True but it's dishonest to compare soft drugs such as weed/alcohol to drugs like cocaine/heroin/fentanyl which have no place in society outside of strictly controlled inpatient medical settings.

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The complete opposite has occurred in US States that have decriminalised weed.

According to police I have talked to, in my legal weed state, the only thing preventing many many more arrests they say is a device that quickly accurately and cheaply measures the level of impairment of drivers who are smoking pot. Also the issue of it being in their system for up to a couple of weeks. They say that device is coming. It's a big money maker for them.

6 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

Jail all the "White line cowboys".

32 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

First to all the pro junkies or drunks....even a lack of rest, with no use or abuse of substances, can make a driver a potential danger on the road....:1zgarz5:

Drinking and driving makes the driver a potential killer on the road,  so no mercy. This apparently does not seem obvious to many who still argue on the issue !??:post-4641-1156694606:

Same for the junkies under coke or any other shit...they are potential hazards and should be banned from driving just as those who drink and drive. Case closed. :post-4641-1156693976:

And before I get bashed :whistling:,  Yes, I do enjoy a good bourbon, wine etc...I do get dunk also sometimes in a party...but when I go out for fun....I NEVER take my car...Uber (when abroad), Grab or even a Thai taxi cheat will be better then driving...:burp:

In Texas for even the "First" DWI for alcohol or drugs, it is a stay overnight in jail until you get bailed out then with the court cost ,fine ,lawyer fee ,a one month class for rehibatation (very costly) your cost will be a minimum  of $10,000 plus a suspension of your license. And now with all states in the national register you can no longer go to another state and replace your license there.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AsiaHand said:

In Texas for even the "First" DWI for alcohol or drugs, it is a stay overnight in jail until you get bailed out then with the court cost ,fine ,lawyer fee ,a one month class for rehibatation (very costly) your cost will be a minimum  of $10,000 plus a suspension of your license. And now with all states in the national register you can no longer go to another state and replace your license there.

Very good but as in many other civilised countries of the world, such harsh suspensions sometimes just don't seem enough ?

What is the cost of a taxi run in Texas, say in Houston or Dallas ? say 15 min time for around 5 kms ?

6 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

According to police I have talked to, in my legal weed state, the only thing preventing many many more arrests they say is a device that quickly accurately and cheaply measures the level of impairment of drivers who are smoking pot. Also the issue of it being in their system for up to a couple of weeks. They say that device is coming. It's a big money maker for them.

Violent crimes are down in states that have decriminalised weed, so are road accidents.

I guess the cops have a bit more tome on their hands and would like to use it to make some money.

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

First to all the pro junkies or drunks....even a lack of rest, with no use or abuse of substances, can make a driver a potential danger on the road....:1zgarz5:

Drinking and driving makes the driver a potential killer on the road,  so no mercy. This apparently does not seem obvious to many who still argue on the issue !??:post-4641-1156694606:

Same for the junkies under coke or any other shit...they are potential hazards and should be banned from driving just as those who drink and drive. Case closed. :post-4641-1156693976:

And before I get bashed :whistling:,  Yes, I do enjoy a good bourbon, wine etc...I do get dunk also sometimes in a party...but when I go out for fun....I NEVER take my car...Uber (when abroad), Grab or even a Thai taxi cheat will be better then driving...:burp:

Is anybody making the case for driving under the influence?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Violent crimes are down in states that have decriminalised weed, so are road accidents.

I guess the cops have a bit more tome on their hands and would like to use it to make some money.

Don't know where your information comes from but going by this, the government should just force everyone to use weed. Guess society should just be on a permanent high.

The real drug epidemic in the US is rooted in prescribed opiates.

Big Phara is the supplier and Big Pharma do not want people smoking weed when they could be fattening Big Pharma’s profits.

Take a trip to DC and go see where the Pharmacuetical Industry Association has it’s offices.

23 hours ago, observer90210 said:

first of all your colorful use of emojis and red and yellow cards detract from any argument you may make.

Second it is already illegal to drive impaired on anything, so you are stating the obvious.

third, your use of the term junkies for recreational drug users, is akin to calling you a lush, drunk, alcoholic or anything similar for your admitted recreational use of alcohol.

driving under the influence is already illegal.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Trouble said:

Don't know where your information comes from but going by this, the government should just force everyone to use weed. Guess society should just be on a permanent high.

i would agree, i would much rather be out with a bunch of stoners than a bunch of drunks though both in moderation is tolerable.

11 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

first of all your colorful use of emojis and red and yellow cards detract from any argument you may make.

Second it is already illegal to drive impaired on anything, so you are stating the obvious.

third, your use of the term junkies for recreational drug users, is akin to calling you a lush, drunk, alcoholic or anything similar for your admitted recreational use of alcohol.

driving under the influence is already illegal.

If you agree on the main "obvious" points,  a bit hard to understand what you are trying to argue here ?  are you a "recreational troll ?":crazy:.

Edited by observer90210

7 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

i was mereIf you agree on the main point  a bit hard to understand what you are trying to argue here ?  are you a "recreational troll "?

indeed - a trunkie of sorts.

it just seemed odd to me that you were calling for something to be illegal that already was. 

we all know driving while impaired is wrong, i was just questioning why you felt the need to re-iterate that and enforce your point with colorful animated imagery.

preaching to the choir as it were.