Pattaya Condominium Rental Market

midas

There is no sense in the rents people are paying for rental properties in Pattaya

compared to Bangkokand even if they got away with it in the past I simply cannot see

them being able to get away with it from now on all the recent negative events in Thailand ?

You can get far more for your money in Bangkok and in addition landlords don't try

to rip you off on utilities. Everywhere I have looked in Pattaya they try to charge

double the unit price for electricity and water compared to Bangkok.

Not only that the lease agreements that are given by most owners are deliberately

dubious, ambiguous and in some cases downright dishonest ! I can just see

what happens at the end of the lease agreements when you try to get your

money back because with some of the lease provisions you could drive a

bus through ! :o

Can anyone explain how and when it got to a situation when such a huge

disparity occurred between Bangkok rents and Pattaya rents came about and the justification

for it ? There seem to be very few places indeed in Pattaya where you can get

an honest deal compared to Bangkok :D

I can't really compare it to BKK as I don't know that market but there are some very good deals in Pattaya , it's just a matter of looking around. I never go through real estate agencies and try to find places by word of mouth mostly or by simple foot slogging "knocking on office doors and asking". I was always under the impression the Pattaya was cheaper than BKK, maybe I am wrong.

I know some expats who have been renting the same places for years at very good rates with good owners. I myself through a friend was renting a fully furnished condo for 6,000 baht a Month and paying the electric straight to the electric company. Same with water and phone, straight to the supplier so no land lord mark ups.

There are always agencies or greedy owners trying to do the money grab but you will see these places advertised week after week after week because they are in the wrong price bracket. 2 condos in the same block for example, one will be say 7,000 baht a Month and another of the same size will be 12,000 baht a Month. Then the owner of the 12,000 baht one wonders why he can't rent it out. There is hundreds of condos available to rent, I think you just got to look around, and there are some good deals.

I can't really compare it to BKK as I don't know that market but there are some very good deals in Pattaya , it's just a matter of looking around. I never go through real estate agencies and try to find places by word of mouth mostly or by simple foot slogging "knocking on office doors and asking". I was always under the impression the Pattaya was cheaper than BKK, maybe I am wrong.

I know some expats who have been renting the same places for years at very good rates with good owners. I myself through a friend was renting a fully furnished condo for 6,000 baht a Month and paying the electric straight to the electric company. Same with water and phone, straight to the supplier so no land lord mark ups.

There are always agencies or greedy owners trying to do the money grab but you will see these places advertised week after week after week because they are in the wrong price bracket. 2 condos in the same block for example, one will be say 7,000 baht a Month and another of the same size will be 12,000 baht a Month. Then the owner of the 12,000 baht one wonders why he can't rent it out. There is hundreds of condos available to rent, I thiyou just got to look around, and there are some good deals.

bmanly ok your comments are very enlightening and you’re not the first one to have made this remark.

So I think I have already worked out what is going on here and when you think about it -it shouldn’t be

that surprising really –but may be it’s just not immediately obvious to everyone ! :o

It seems pretty clear there is a two-tier rental market in Pattaya !

The first tier for people like you who have obviously researched the market and know where to look and the second-tier who deliberately target people ( and is not just Thai's - there are a huge number of farangs amongst these shylocks ! ) who haven’t had the time to

do such research and are preying on lack of market knowledge. The farangs in this category are like used car salesman –horrible

to deal with and it's no wonder they all display the same characteristic of trying to get you to sign the lease

right there and then :D That's what fortunately kept me from doing so i.e. the thought that " hang on a minute "

this isn't the only apartment for rent in Pattaya - I am not going to be pressurised into signing something like this :D

If people are agreeing to those rents, and lease terms and conditions they are definitely being ripped off compared to what

they can get in Bangkok for the same money. Thanks bmanly I will look around further :D

if you are looking for a condo to rent, i would suggest avoiding estate agents at all costs, check out the local newspapers, loads of good deals there, also the notice boards in foodland, carrefour etc. or just go to the condo block directly, most of them have offices with info on whats available.

BB

if you are looking for a condo to rent, i would suggest avoiding estate agents at all costs, check out the local newspapers, loads of good deals there, also the notice boards in foodland, carrefour etc. or just go to the condo block directly, most of them have offices with info on whats available.

BB

Thanks yes I have learnt this now :o

I couldn't think of anything worse as a job- being an estate agent in Pattaya ! :D

it's like watching a load of sharks feeding - all fighting for the same meal :D

BB

Actually Real estate Agents and letting agencies get a bad rap and it's not always fair. Of course there are bad eggs in any business, but they shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush. I have rented a total of 7 properties in Thailand over the years and with 2 of them I went through an agency.

The agency got me better deals that those in the same building that went directly though the landlord/owner. Sometimes the owners are greedy with their expectations and would rather have a place sit empty for a year than let it go for a more realistic rent. Often, the reluctant landlord will eventually hand the management of the condo over to the care of an agency, who then brings the expected rental down to a more realistic price.

Additionally, it is not unusual for the owners of condos to live miles away from their rentals and this can be awkward if there are emergencies or problems that need immediate attention. Such incidences are dealt with much quicker if your first point of contact is the local agency.

When looking for a new place to rent, it doesn't take long to get a feel for prices and I have found that mid priced rentals in particular (15-30,000 THB/Mo) are often (though not always) better deals through agencies.

But hey, there will be those that both agree and disagree, and there's nothing wrong with that as everyone has their stories. Also I'm only referring to Bkk here as I have no experience with Pattaya, but I would imagine it's the same deal nationwide.

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

[

I have no experience with Pattaya, but I would imagine it's the same deal nationwide.

Aitch

No - in a nutshell they are quite obviously counting on there being a big number of

potentially gullible people in Pattaya who will buckle under high-pressure tactics

of signing the lease quickly on the premise that it wont be available for long !

HA !! who are they kidding ? :o