Options after being warned by DMK immigration

11 hours ago, thedan663 said:

Non-B doesn't count at all?

A non-b visa (or any non immigrant visa) and extensions of stay are a different category of visa. They require specific reason for getting them.

A tourist visa or visa exempt entry is not the same since the are for touristic purposes.

On 5/14/2018 at 8:57 AM, prb said:

- Tourist visas: as i have already a tourist visa issued in PP in november 2017, how many tourist visas can i do per year  in Cambodia, Laos and maybe Myanmar (i'm not sure it is still possible to do one in that country)

There is no legal-limit, but the IOs at some airports (both Bangkok airports and some others) and the Poipet/Aranyaprathet land-crossing make up their own rules on what is acceptable.  If you enter by a land-crossing that follows the actual laws, you will have no problem. 

Bring 20K Baht worth of cash (can be another currency), as that is a "real rule" they can request.  Plastic doesn't count, and the won't let you go to an ATM to get it.

- The 2 visa exemption per land crossing per year: if i do a land crossing for the first time this year, will i get one whatever the "bad look" of my passport

At any land-border except Poipet/Aranyaprathet - yes.  You will need to have 10K Baht to show for an exempt-entry - though usually only asked for at some Malaysian crossings and maybe the southern ones to Myanmar.  At some Malaysian crossings, you may also have to stay out a night.

- New Passport: when i my home country I will apply for a new passport, that one is almost full anyway. Will that erase my history for the immigration at the airport?

No, but it will definitely make check-in quicker, as they seem to carefully scrutinize every used-page.  It may also lower the "sticker shock" of a bunch of Thai Visas and stamps, but that info is in their computer, if they look for it.

- In the worse case scenario: if one day i am denied entry at the airport, are the costs of the ticket to go back taken in charge by the airline? Will the airline then blacklist me?

The cases I have read, the person denied bought the ticket.  Most of the time, it is to where they just came from.  A couple times, they were forced to "go home" to their passport country - so it seems the IO can do whatever they want.

If flying from farther away, one option I have used is to fly to Penang, then take the train in through  Pedang Besar, which is relatively friendly.  At most, you will need to show the 20K Baht with a Tourist Visa, or 10K Baht if entering Visa-Exempt.  Then, on to Hat Yai, and catch a domestic flight (no immigration involved) to where ever you wanted to be in Thailand.

It's a bummer that Thailand has turned the immigration area of their capital-city airports into an unpredictable anarchy of "The Law is What I Say It Is Today," like some backwater-nation - but they have.  The best we can do is avoid these areas, and enjoy the rest of the country.

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2018 at 6:36 PM, BuckBee said:

The more you look likely be working illegally the more hassle you will get (and rightly so), number 1 thing that bites immi's biscuit is cocky farang working illegal on cheap and easy visa

Those who have been gone for many months get the scrutiny, so I don't think this is really the issue.  They know the people working illegally by the millions are from neighboring countries - and those folks have no limit on border-entries, and can get special work-visas that don't require higher salaries.  But they aren't "farang," which seems to have some bearing on attitudes.

A farang who ever stayed "too long" in Thailand in the past, entering on a TR-type entry, seems to be what they go after.  And "too long" = some "made-up on the spot" unknown value.

It is very funny that someone with a non-o multiple entry visa for wife or kids can leave and come back very easily without any question, and of course work illegally.... These rules are so stupid, they stop nobody.

8 hours ago, grkt said:

It is very funny that someone with a non-o multiple entry visa for wife or kids can leave and come back very easily without any question, and of course work illegally.... These rules are so stupid, they stop nobody.

Although I would not suggest "working illegally" - and the pay for some "under the table" job would be horrible, anyway - the leniency could be due to the fact that the person is supporting a Thai wife and family. 

The sad part, is that permission to work for such persons is not automatic, and that permanent-residence is not granted easily after a stay (without criminal incident) of a few years.  PR and Citizenship are possible, but not easy - even after being in the country married to a Thai for years.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1