Psychiatric issues plus too much water can be deadly in summer heat

webfact

15 hours ago, tryasimight said:

And when have you seen this......spare  the the wiki BS .

Oh look ......he's got hyponatraemia...haha...ni this climate the most common syndrome you will see.and have to act on is heat stroke...if you care.  Most people don't know the symptoms or treatment. Older people in particular can suffer from this.

Think of a few old blokes sitting around the pool at the condo.....a couple of beers........ 

the article is not about heat stroke, a different entity but about water intoxication.

what you call wiki bs is valid accepted medical literature

alterations in body sodium and potassium can and do lead to life threatening outcomes and or death.

but to you, it is wiki bs

• Haha 1

Someone else  looking for their name in the papers.

This is a truly non-news piece of news.

I eagerly await a piece about the mortality rate of acne and athletes foot. This is Thailand after all, got to get in tune with the whole self-publicity thing...

Or perhaps I should wait for a reasonable piece on the widespread use of dioxin in weed-killers in this health-conscious nation.

Edited by KiwiKiwi

4 hours ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Someone else  looking for their name in the papers.

This is a truly non-news piece of news.

I eagerly await a piece about the mortality rate of acne and athletes foot. This is Thailand after all, got to get in tune with the whole self-publicity thing...

Or perhaps I should wait for a reasonable piece on the widespread use of dioxin in weed-killers in this health-conscious nation.

perhaps a bit of self publicity but coming from a psychiatrist not a bad public service message.  as i recall psych patients are the ones often drinking uncontrollably. maybe some medications screws with the thirst mechanism and they dont know when to stop.

3 minutes ago, atyclb said:

perhaps a bit of self publicity but coming from a psychiatrist not a bad public service message.  as i recall psych patients are the ones often drinking uncontrollably. maybe some medications screws with the thirst mechanism and they dont know when to stop.

Perhaps. My assessment of Thai psychiatrists is pretty much the same as Thai everything - almost completely useless. Amateurs with little or no effective education desperately trying to prove they're better than the peasants with none. Many Thais could do with a very big load of humility, they'd be the better for it. I've known a good few Thai psychiatrists, and it seems very unblikely that the way they work has any useful impact on what in Thailand is a huge incidence of mental heath issues.

I would suggest that every "know it all" smart arse commenting on this subject, take sometime and do a little research, you might be surprised and you just might learn something new - but of course if you already know everything save your time and keep rubbishing a well know and researched subject. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KiwiKiwi said:
1 hour ago, atyclb said:

Perhaps. My assessment of Thai psychiatrists is pretty much the same as Thai everything - almost completely useless. Amateurs with little or no effective education desperately trying to prove they're better than the peasants with none. Many Thais could do with a very big load of humility, they'd be the better for it. I've known a good few Thai psychiatrists, and it seems very unblikely that the way they work has any useful impact on what in Thailand is a huge incidence of mental heath issues.

largely agree.  thai psychiatry is modeled after western usa style and due to thainess and culture likely wont be as effective.

34 minutes ago, Artisi said:

I would suggest that every "know it all" smart arse commenting on this subject, take sometime and do a little research, you might be surprised and you just might learn something new - but of course if you already know everything save your time and keep rubbishing a well know and researched subject. 

That you happen to take seriously and assume, because of that, that it should be taken seriously by everyone.

Hmmm. Maybe.

11 hours ago, KiwiKiwi said:

That you happen to take seriously and assume, because of that, that it should be taken seriously by everyone.

Hmmm. Maybe.

No it doesn't have to be taken seriously by everyone, but those with any intelligence would consider what is being said and if not understood would more than likely research it for understanding instead of showing their ignorance by saying it is nonsense.

32 minutes ago, Artisi said:

No it doesn't have to be taken seriously by everyone, but those with any intelligence would consider what is being said and if not understood would more than likely research it for understanding instead of showing their ignorance by saying it is nonsense.

OK. I understand. I think...

Double-check:

It doesn't have to be taken seriously by everyone, only by intelligent people. Intelligent people would consider it and not reject it, stupid people would either not consider it or would consider it and reject it. People considering it, rejecting it and saying it is nonsense are by definition, ignorant and unintelligent.

Did I get that nonsense right? Good

Away with you and the loaded claptrap you brought to my door today.

Edited by KiwiKiwi

I was hospitalized once for drinking too much fluids over an extended period of time, so I would say that it's a real thing! 

The recommendation I got from the doctors was that I should consume between 3 to 5 liters of fluids a day depending on the temperature and the work load and that I should not consume more than maximum 6 liters a day if over extended time... The weeks before I ended up in hospital I had been drinking 8-9 liters of water a day so I had basically been overworking the kidneys!

So this doctor saying that people should not even drink 2 liters a day make me feel that maybe he has spent too much time with his parents and and become a little nuts himself... 

11 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

I was hospitalized once for drinking too much fluids over an extended period of time, so I would say that it's a real thing! 

The recommendation I got from the doctors was that I should consume between 3 to 5 liters of fluids a day depending on the temperature and the work load and that I should not consume more than maximum 6 liters a day if over extended time... The weeks before I ended up in hospital I had been drinking 8-9 liters of water a day so I had basically been overworking the kidneys!

So this doctor saying that people should not even drink 2 liters a day make me feel that maybe he has spent too much time with his parents and and become a little nuts himself... 

daily fluid restriction is related to the underlying reason for it.  kidney failure, heart pumping ability decreased, etc etc.

a normal healthy individual that is doing lots of physical activity in a hot climate needs to keep up with fluid losses regardless of liter intake.

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

daily fluid restriction is related to the underlying reason for it.  kidney failure, heart pumping ability decreased, etc etc.

a normal healthy individual that is doing lots of physical activity in a hot climate needs to keep up with fluid losses regardless of liter intake.

It is also important to understand that in some cases the loss of fluid exceeds the ability for the body to process it / replace it irrespective of how much you drink -  this in turn can lead to the very problem this article started out discussing. 

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

It is also important to understand that in some cases the loss of fluid exceeds the ability for the body to process it / replace it irrespective of how much you drink -  this in turn can lead to the very problem this article started out discussing. 

yes

In my opinion, the Incidence of mental illness in Thailand is huge, just huge.

Made worse by the fact that there are unsufficient psychiatrists to treat them, those that are qualified (however loosely) have about 4 minutes to treat each patient

Plus the government consistently doctors the numbers because they wish to create the impression that all Thais are happy and content with their lifestyle. Besides, the monks  are there to help, so get thee down the wat.

I don't know about 1 in every 60 Thais being schizophrenic, that would seem very high, but more broadly, the total with some psychiatric or psychological disorder is indeed high. Not that I'm very surprised; their culture teaches them to be delusional, superstitious (it encourages hallucination) and uncaring of their fellow man. Fertile ground.

Hmmm ....

I get 15 minutes to see my psychiatrist here for three hundred baht. I get cutting-edge medicine as well; medications that I cannot get back in my home country that has made a real difference in my life.

For the times I have been 'put in' the public system (as in hospitalized) and mixed with the local population, yes the medicines may be harsher on the body and not as cutting edge that I can get private, but if you want treatment, you can get it and most of all, you can get stable.

Back in my home country, it takes me three months to get in to see a Pdoc. Medicines I get given at home are very much the same as I get here via Public. Yes, medication is much better/more varied if you go private; but that is the same all the world over (an more expensive).

If you dare take a look at sites on FB like Bipolar FC or the such, you will see hundreds of people on mood stabilizers that come from all walks of life; from bank employees to just about anyone.

Abilify and all different antipsychotics are freely available.  Weekly meetings are held in Bangkok for those that want to meet up that have Bipolar via different members of different hospitals in support groups.

Most of all, most families I know that have someone with a mental illness do not want to see there family member suffer. The younger generation coming through for certain, are changing the way people think and deal with things.

Mental health challenges are just not here in Thailand. They are worldwide an in general, the world is not doing a good job about any of it! People are still chained in kennels in Indonesia. One guy lived in a Coconut tree for three years before they cut it down to get him out of it! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Hmmm ....

I get 15 minutes to see my psychiatrist here for three hundred baht. I get cutting-edge medicine as well; medications that I cannot get back in my home country that has made a real difference in my life.

For the times I have been 'put in' the public system (as in hospitalized) and mixed with the local population, yes the medicines may be harsher on the body and not as cutting edge that I can get private, but if you want treatment, you can get it and most of all, you can get stable.

Back in my home country, it takes me three months to get in to see a Pdoc. Medicines I get given at home are very much the same as I get here via Public. Yes, medication is much better/more varied if you go private; but that is the same all the world over (an more expensive).

If you dare take a look at sites on FB like Bipolar FC or the such, you will see hundreds of people on mood stabilizers that come from all walks of life; from bank employees to just about anyone.

Abilify and all different antipsychotics are freely available.  Weekly meetings are held in Bangkok for those that want to meet up that have Bipolar via different members of different hospitals in support groups.

Most of all, most families I know that have someone with a mental illness do not want to see there family member suffer. The younger generation coming through for certain, are changing the way people think and deal with things.

Mental health challenges are just not here in Thailand. They are worldwide an in general, the world is not doing a good job about any of it! People are still chained in kennels in Indonesia. One guy lived in a Coconut tree for three years before they cut it down to get him out of it! 

the singer of rock band (and significant others) creed went through hell until finally getting correctly diagnosed and treated for bipolar disorder

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, atyclb said:

the singer of rock band (and significant others) creed went through hell until finally getting correctly diagnosed and treated for bipolar disorder

You should see his YouTube Videos over it all.

You should also listen to Scott Stapps album about what he went through in ''Proof of Life''

• Like 1

There are 2.6 million people in Thailand known to be taking medication for psychiatric issues, 60 per cent of them for schizophrenia.

And what about the people who fell through the raster? Are we surrounded by aeeh people with schizophrenia?

I had some prostate problems contacted the local hospital and the doctor constantly told me that my urine is dehydrated. 

But if I continue to drink more, I might...well better not think about it. 

25 minutes ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

There are 2.6 million people in Thailand known to be taking medication for psychiatric issues, 60 per cent of them for schizophrenia.

Are you too stupid to do the math yourself ?

That seems like an awful lot of folk. I suppose one has to take into account the usual incompetence of Thai doctors, and guess that a goodly percentage of those people have been mis-diagnosed.

I have a small elective surgery schedule for 2 weeks, if the pallava I had to go through to make a simple appointment is any indication, I should probably cancel. Mind you, the comedy of errors a friend of mine went through at Samitivej would have been hilarious if it wasn't so tragic.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Are you too stupid to do the math yourself ?

60% of 2.6 million = . 1,560,000 .    or 1.56 million on schizo meds

1.56 million .out of  59 million(population)  =  2.26% .   approx .  1 out of every 44 people

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/45659223_Schizophrenia_in_Thailand_Prevalence_and_burden_of_disease