New Hard Drive for iMac

richsilver

My late 2012, 27" iMac started shutting down randomly several months ago.  The shut-downs became more frequent and I finally took it in to iCare in Pattaya.  They told me it would take about 15 days to diagnose and repair.

In a few days they called, saying the problem was a dying hard drive (1 TB).  They told me to pick up a new one and bring it to them as it would be cheaper than ordering one from Apple.  So I went to TukCom and spent about 2,200 baht for a nice Western Digital and brought it to them.

Exactly two weeks after I brought the computer in, it was ready to take home (only 990 baht for repair).  They re-installed the operating system (High Sierra) as I requested and I copied over everything else from my Time Machine backup, using Migration Assistant.  It went perfectly.  However, the computer was running noticeably slower.  Everything loaded sluggishly.

After much research, I discovered that the 120 GB SSD in the machine was not linked to the HD as a fusion drive as Apple intended.  I followed the instructions on an Apple site, wiping both drives, issuing a bunch of commands and then reinstalling the operating system and my files.  Now all is well.

So... the results from iCare are mixed.  They did find the problem and they did install the new drive, but not exactly correctly.

• 4 weeks later...

I live in Chiang Mai.

A local store, Magic, first fitted a SSD to my Mac Book Pro and then as I was so impressed they converted my iMac to a SSD.

Both very reasonably priced.

You Tube have numerous vids showing the operation.

In both cases it was like buying a new machine.

john

Two weeks?

I sent my late ‘12 to macathome, in Suttisak, BKK via Kerry express.

I didn’t get him to migrate the timemachine but it took 3 or 4 days inc. shipping. I upgraded the ram at the same time, approximately he same cost as your but without any running about.

The number has been mentioned here before, way better service than iCare.

Never a complaint in 9 years, one thing I love the guy for - he’s not afraid to give a diagnosis and rough cost over the phone. Obviously not a solid quote, but it makes such a nice change here.

Hopefull you are all set now, but in the future give macathome a call.

Archived