Just be aware - Crypto Currency

Thailand

6 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Well over 1,000 now with new ones almost every day.

Already a truckload of failures, some quite spectacular.

Yeah it's crazy. I watched a few for 2 weeks and the volitility is wild. Some of them are valued at hundreds of billions on market cap. More than many large companies.

• Like 1

Conmen will abound always and everywhere. It has no meaning to just Crypto alone as Blockchain will rule our lives within 2 years. 

Last year , Bitcoin was aud 3000, Ethereum was below aud 100, Litecoin was $50. 

Find me any investment that matches the gains at today’s prices! Yes, it took a big leap , but has returned after a correction and now upwards again. Stick to the top 10 or 20 coins. Research. Stop being fools as conmen are everywhere. Aussie top banks are now being investigated for con job practices. Big time! So wake up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colabamumbai said:

Invest in the companies that you must pay your monthly bills to.

So I should invest in True Vision, 3BB and my condo building?   

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Old rule: invest in what you understand.

Basically a good rule and one that Warren Buffett often repeats, but I've made some decent money off of Micron Technology, Facebook, Square and some biotechs, etc. and my knowledge of chips, social media, electronic payments and cutting edge bio research is pretty sketchy.

11 hours ago, Thailand said:

Anyway, yesterday at lunch in a local Chiangmai restaurant I could not help but overhear a youngish American guy making a Crypto Currency investment pitch to an elderly foreign couple.

Probably investing in something pitched to you by a stranger in a restaurant, by a random call to you on the phone, by a Nigerian prince or by an acquaintance currently renting accommodations in a trailer/caravan park should be avoided.

• Like 1

HI have been folowing the currencies. Some time back I fancied Ripple, it was US0.47 it went to 0.87 very fast then it was heading for the US government on a court order.  It dropped over a few weeks back to 0.67. Over the last few weeks they all lost a lot.

idecided to give it all a miss especialy after reading comments from the expert Warren Buffet  who said never in a million yers would he invest in the coins, they are not an investment they are a gamble. Keep your money and do not invest in something you do not understand

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

The word crypto just reminds me of Superman and all the fake stuff in those films.

Someone should produce Batman coins. Probably sell well.

Robin coins might flop though due to softness.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soumanioco said:

In what rational universe could someone simply issue electronic scrip — or just announce that they intend to — and create, out of the blue, billions of dollars of value? It makes no sense.

The US/EU/UK/others manage to create billions of dollars of "value" out of thin air quite regularly...and it's the main cause of inflation.

And as for the volatility, it makes for great trading... with 10% price swings each day it's pretty easy to capture a few % every day.

But I agree there are plenty of "scam-coins" out there so perhaps best to keep away unless you really understand what you are doing... and why.

Edited by steve73
clarity
  • Like 1

I've been trading Bitcoin and a few other coins for a little while now, its very risky to those with no experience, but so long as you do your research, have patience and trade with the trend you'll be fine and make some good money.

Good investment or bad, what you certainly don't want is any broker selling you any kind of investment "package" for crypto. The market just isn't a good for for that kind of investment, where you put money in for five years etc, on the expectation of getting a certain percentage back.

Anyone wishing to dabble should have a look at a trading site such as eToro, which only deals with the more established coins (+usual shares).

5 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

Some pay daily to beer companies? 

Good investment?

Edited by Hummin

To get an understanding of cryptocurrencies, the crypto community recommends "The Princeton Videos" (see link below).  These lectures explain bitcoin from the ground up and address other cryptocurrencies and related issues.  I had to watch them several times before I got a basic understanding.  IMHO if one cannot understand these videos, he/she does not understand cryptocurrencies and should definitely NOT invest one baht.

http://bitcoinbook.cs.princeton.edu/

(scroll down for the videos)

Edited by Kelsall

16 hours ago, Brickbat said:

Conmen will abound always and everywhere. It has no meaning to just Crypto alone as Blockchain will rule our lives within 2 years. 

Last year , Bitcoin was aud 3000, Ethereum was below aud 100, Litecoin was $50. 

Find me any investment that matches the gains at today’s prices! Yes, it took a big leap , but has returned after a correction and now upwards again. Stick to the top 10 or 20 coins. Research. Stop being fools as conmen are everywhere. Aussie top banks are now being investigated for con job practices. Big time! So wake up

People just love the feeling of having smoke blown up their arse.....love your pitch  and hear it all the time from all the bar stool wealthy folks here in Pattaya.....that loud laugh you hear is me.....on all the get rich scams I have heard over the past 70 years......??????

• Haha 1

I saw an online ad for some company claiming to be the only ones selling the new Swedish cryptocurrency.  Only problem Sweden does not have one now, they have just been talking about it.

13 hours ago, worgeordie said:

To me its seems the people that are really pushing Crypto

are the ones that own some,and would like to see them

increase in value,like all scams really.

regards worgeordie

This Crypto coin etc thing reminds me of my 'small' attempt at shares many years ago, the one's that make the big cash are the ultra wealthy few controlling and running it.

very high risk investment but like some others say, potential to make some decent money for the pro dealers. 

edit: i only invest a little bit in Ripple. 3rd biggest market cap cryptocurrency. ripple is different from other coins with the backing of several big banks that do fund transfers using it. 

Edited by tigerbeer

I bought ripple last year and made 1 million baht in 4 months. I only bought about 70,000 baht.

Also bought knc and com, which I am holding.

Bought some more ripple a month ago, it's going to be x 10 at least by the end of November

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I bought ripple last year and made 1 million baht in 4 months. I only bought about 70,000 baht.

Bought some more ripple a month ago, it's going to be x 10 at least by the end of November

Based on that recommendation I guess everybody will be piling their pensions in to Ripple.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

That it value it double of Apple.