Sign for the blind - but how on earth are they going to read it?

webfact

Sign for the blind - but how on earth are they going to read it?

7pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Thai netizens were struggling to understand the point of a sign for the blind that appeared in a building.

The sign said: "All blind people please hold the metal handrail throughout the building".

The yellow sticker was posted online by "Kittisak Toppenstein Thowsombat" on Facebook.

There was no sign of braille to be seen.

Netizens conjectured that not all visually impaired people were totally blind.

And the sign might be for the able-sighted to help the visually impaired get about.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-17

44 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Just about the same as the wheelchair ramps here, that bloody steep even with somebody pushing you impossible to use.

Yeah, I both seen them and used them. Have a friend that is bound to a wheelchair.

• Like 2

Just now, Get Real said:

Yeah, I both seen them and used them. Have a friend that is bound to a wheelchair.

You have used them !! Wow you must be a strong person.

There is a wheelchair ramp near our home, it took my wife and 1 man to get me up it.

Somebody thinks didnt i do a good job fixing that notice for blind people, clever me.

• Like 1

When my daughter started college in Boston, I took her to a nice restaurant and on the walk we crossed an intersection that had chirping bird sounds to indicate for blind people when it was safe to cross. She hadn’t seen one before and thought it was a great idea. So for fun, I asked her what they did for deaf people. (The perfect set up for a Dad joke.) She thought for a moment and said she didn’t know. I said, “Nothing. They’re deaf, not blind!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, inactiveposter said:

When my daughter started college in Boston, I took her to a nice restaurant and on the walk we crossed an intersection that had chirping bird sounds to indicate for blind people when it was safe to cross. She hadn’t seen one before and thought it was a great idea. So for fun, I asked her what they did for deaf people. (The perfect set up for a Dad joke.) She thought for a moment and said she didn’t know. I said, “Nothing. They’re deaf, not blind!”

In Australia, the pedestrian crossing boxes ( where you push the button) will vibrate on green as well as chirp  and it has braile generally too 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai netizens were struggling to understand the point of a sign for the blind that appeared in a building.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Netizens conjectured that not all visually impaired people were totally blind.

And the sign might be for the able-sighted to help the visually impaired get about.

Seems the "netizens" have asked and answered their own question.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

That's it.  Decades ago I was skiing as a sighted guide for blind ex-servicemen.  They wore tabards with a  sign of yellow or orange background with three bold black dots on them indicating a blind skier.  Everyone on the slopes, from the youngest learner to the oldest veteran,  knew the sign and was able to assist in safe skiing for all by allowing for the circumstances.  A brief search on Google seems to suggest that this sign is no longer used but it worked for us and was multilingual.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

Just about the same as the wheelchair ramps here, that bloody steep even with somebody pushing you impossible to use.

The Australian standard for wheelchair ramps is a maximum grade of 1:14. Ramps here are frequently 1:8 and less. Useless for most people in wheelchairs.

I have arranged and designed building access incorporating ramps more times than I care to remember.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, fantom said:

The Australian standard for wheelchair ramps is a maximum grade of 1:14. Ramps here are frequently 1:8 and less. Useless for most people in wheelchairs.

I have arranged and designed building access incorporating ramps more times than I care to remember.

Spot on mate, in the UK it is1.12, i constructed a few myself over the years.

The first 1 i did was too steep and ha to be ripped out, cost me a fair bit, i never made that mistake again.

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎5‎/‎2561 at 8:27 PM, attrayant said:

Here's another puzzle: how do the deer know they're supposed to cross here?

bigstock-Deer-crossing-10986302-1600x800.jpg.6a317caedcaaf07bfe8fe3269f6af192.jpg

Maybe going to Deer School ? Or is for the lazy hunter to wait here ?

Edited by AsiaHand