How to transfer money by papal to an overseas bank account?

Hey guys,

I need to transfer a small amount around ($15) to an agency in Indonesia to send me some documents,

they need the postage fees which costs between 10-15 bucks,

contacted Kbank, they asked to submit a request letter or something alike, work permit, passport copies, and wait for at least 3 working days to get the approval back, and if the agree, I have to pay between 300 up to 600 THB for the transaction, I asked the guys there is they have Paypal, none of them even knew what paypal is?

However, I contact paypal to ask if any possibility to transfer from my paypal to bank account, they said this not possible ,

my question here: is there any other way to transfer via the internet or some other online services similar to paypal to a bank account or a person name directly? I'm not sure about Western union how much they will charge for this small amount?

Any idea, recommendation or shared experience in this regard will be highly appreciated,

thanks

PayPal is really hard to use from Thailand - you can set it up linked to a credit card but their security controls seem to mean your first payment is automatically rejected and you need to take the initiative to call them to ask for the payment to be allowed (then you need to re-input the whole payment quickly enough as they only waive the automated control for a short time. 

Best to use Western Union or Moneygram (MG is offered by some banks) but fees are high

I use Paypal with a Thai account and it's no trouble. You can set it up within a few days. You use a Thai debit card (with Visa or MC symbol). The money goes to your debit card. I don't remember ever linking a bank account (maybe I did), but I can withdraw to my Thai bank. Withdrawals take 5-10 days. So, for example, you could link a Kbank debit card and use Paypal Thailand. No visit to bank needed. 

The only limitation is that you do not get a Paypal debit card in Thailand. However, you can make normal Paypal transactions with the same ease as a Western account. If needed, you can also transfer between your Thai Paypal and your Western Paypal account (in case you need to use a debit card). But expect a bad conversion-rate and high fees. 

Edited by Ebumbu
Added more info.

In the US I used PayPal quite a bit easy. Here in Thailand wanted to send from my US bank to a individual wouldn’t send because the IP address showed I was not in US. 

Tried Western Union online money from US bank to individual everything worked ok at the time I entered the transfer. Called WU several times after a week to find out when or why? Two weeks later denied due to IP address not in US 

Bangkok bank offers WU but no idea the fees 

The problem here is the very small amount of money you want to send overseas...

It's going to get swamped in transfer and admin charges which will almost certainly be of the same magnitude as the amount being transferred if using banks, Western Union, etc.

The best way likely, is to get the receiver to open their own PAYPAL account.

Get them to send you a PAYPALME payment request.

You send them the amount invoiced using your credit card, then 'Jobs-a-good-un'

If you're in Pattaya, bring round the sausage and mash, plus a beer, and I'll send them the cash to them by PAYPAL for you. 

Cheers. :jap:

7 hours ago, Captor said:

TransferWise...

Totally agree .   Money is transferred into my Thai bank account in 2 days and only a small commission ( 3 days ago transferred 500 pounds and their fees 5 pounds ) . Used them 4 times so far and never a problem . Use to use W/U but their charges too high and Pay Pal similar and not as quick . Take a look at your 15 dollar request transfer below , you will need to allow for the fees for transfer so maybe up a couple of dollars also their exchange rate is always better than most Thai banks .

image.png.43089a2433d92347fed49ae7f93e1a72.png

Posts using a foreign language have been removed as this is the English language side of the forum.  English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

On 5/17/2018 at 9:45 AM, DJ54 said:

In the US I used PayPal quite a bit easy. Here in Thailand wanted to send from my US bank to a individual wouldn’t send because the IP address showed I was not in US. 

Tried Western Union online money from US bank to individual everything worked ok at the time I entered the transfer. Called WU several times after a week to find out when or why? Two weeks later denied due to IP address not in US 

Bangkok bank offers WU but no idea the fees 

Call your US Paypal and tell them you are traveling. When will you be  back? Not sure yet. Open a Thai Paypal using any Thai debit bankcard (with VISA or MC). No problem. 

On 5/18/2018 at 6:35 AM, superal said:

Totally agree .   Money is transferred into my Thai bank account in 2 days and only a small commission ( 3 days ago transferred 500 pounds and their fees 5 pounds ) . Used them 4 times so far and never a problem . Use to use W/U but their charges too high and Pay Pal similar and not as quick . Take a look at your 15 dollar request transfer below , you will need to allow for the fees for transfer so maybe up a couple of dollars also their exchange rate is always better than most Thai banks .

image.png.43089a2433d92347fed49ae7f93e1a72.png

Yes I agree, $2.13 for a $15.00 transfer is a real deal.  I use  TransferWise exclusively.

One single fee at the best exchange rate.  I think $2.13 is the minimun fee for small amounts before the % of transfer kicks in.  Upload a copy of passport, wait a few days for trial transfer to confirm, then good to go.

Each transfer is saved, has a repeat option, and the mobile app is very easy to use.  Click, click, click, and done.  1-2 day transfer excluding weekends and bank holidays.  Add or delete recipient and sender accounts as needed (each new add is first confirmed of course).

Really good customer support.

3 hours ago, timkeen08 said:

Yes I agree, $2.13 for a $15.00 transfer is a real deal.  I use  TransferWise exclusively.

One single fee at the best exchange rate.  I think $2.13 is the minimun fee for small amounts before the % of transfer kicks in.  Upload a copy of passport, wait a few days for trial transfer to confirm, then good to go.

Each transfer is saved, has a repeat option, and the mobile app is very easy to use.  Click, click, click, and done.  1-2 day transfer excluding weekends and bank holidays.  Add or delete recipient and sender accounts as needed (each new add is first confirmed of course).

Really good customer support.

My most recent transfer 3 days ago transferred on the same day .  Now that is good service and a low commission rate plus their exchange rate was much better than Bangkok Bank rate .

30 minutes ago, superal said:

My most recent transfer 3 days ago transferred on the same day .  Now that is good service and a low commission rate plus their exchange rate was much better than Bangkok Bank rate .

I clicked an old account by mistake on my last transfer.  I emailed customer support during "transfer processed - cannot edit transfer".  A quick email came back with "transfer was aborted and reset".  I clicked the correct account and the transfer continued as usual.  I actually got a "sorry for the delay" email when it was my mistake.  I deleted the old account.

I caused that delay but I never have received a same day transfer.  Good thing I didn't.  I don't get a "direct deposit funds available" email from my US bank until mid afternoon here, morning in the US, so I probably will never get a same day transfer.

Twice TransferWise has come to my rescue, last year I made a different mistake that was handled quickly.

They always email "payment received - transfer processing" but it has never been taken out of my US account until the transfer is received here.  I guess once they confirm the funds they start processing.

A really good company to deal with and great savings.

• Like 1