Scoliosis (curvature of the spine) Surgery

danny42

My thirteen year old daughter has been diagnosed with scoliosis and a spinal surgeon from the UK has recommended that she has corrective surgery. She has a UK passport, but doesn't have residency, so doesn't qualify for the NHS. Private in the UK is too expensive. She's eligible for the Thai 30 baht scheme, but the surgeon we met with in Hat Yai isn't up to seed on the surgery, which leave us with private hospitals in Bangkok. I've looked on the internet and found quite a bit of info, but can anyone recommend a hospital/surgeon that they've had experience with or heard good things about?

If the hospital where she is registered under the 30 baht scheme cannot do this (quite likely as it is a specialized procedure) they are obligated to provide a referral to a higher level facility which can.

In the Hat Yai area this can be done at  the Prince of Songkhla University Hospital (Songklanagarind).

I suggest you ask the hospital where she is registered for a letter of referral to that hospital.

Surgeons there with specific expertise in surgical repair of scolosis in adolescents are:

Prof. Weera Chaiyamongkol

Prof. Koopong Siribumrungwong