Wanted: Kindergarten teacher 4,000 baht a month - Thai social media goes bonkers

webfact

31 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

My Thai friend calls me her younger brother and she's trying to get a job at a high school in the city because she's tired to travel for hours every day.

The school in the center of the city was asking for 400,000 baht to get her a teaching position. She really got angry said )(*(*^%$**(*(( and continued at her former school. Now she's retired, but she started to dislike her own system. 

Students who want to study at my school, a high school with the best reputation, have to pay a lot of money just to find themselves in a crowded classroom with 49 others.

Nothing goes without the director getting a piece of the cake and in certain cases also the Thai head teacher when it's related to English teaching. 

In terms of teaching jobs, I am not sure if it is the same with other government departments, but that 400,000 gets shared around by many people on the admin board. Probably the same with teaching actually. Director is probably only getting a quarter of it. And that is why the culture never changes, even if you get a good Director, the other people will still want their share. One of the Tessabans in my area is highly sorted as the Mayor doesn't ask for anything, so the going price for the job is the standard price minus his share. He cant do much about it obviously though as he would be a walking target. 

Edited by wildewillie89

On 18/05/2018 at 12:01 PM, mikebell said:

Now we know why Thai Education is in a downward spiral.  Principleless principals cashing in.  My stepdaughter applied locally for a teaching job.  The principal was interested but only if I would teach part-time for nothing.  I agreed.

We then received back-word that another had been hired after an under-the-table payment had been paid.  The successful candidate bragged it had cost her/family 300,000.

I have a friend whose brother is the principal of a medium sized Government school near Bangkok.

She tells me that this month (start of the academic year) is worth ThB 750.000 to him!

A lot of this paying for a place crap is for a reason. Many times the applicant is either not qualified, lazy to get qualified, has not got enough experience and wants to jump the queue.

I know many many teachers who have got where they are through diligence and hard work.

If lazy, impatient people want to pay for positions that they are not entitled to then go ahead but stop complaining about it.

On 19/05/2018 at 10:04 AM, Neeranam said:

Ballroom dancing is not what a normal 17 year old boy should be wanting to do.

Scottish schools used to be the best in the world. The Queen of England even sent her sons  there.

By all accounts they hated it...:smile:

21 hours ago, Johnniey said:

My pal, who left school aged 16, with no degree earns 180,000 a month teaching Chinese 5 year olds in his underpants, online, wearing Mickey Mouse ears.  

18 hours ago, kaorop said:

proof or troll? sux to be called out so easy, hey?

Well, I know a little bit about the teaching Chinese children online gig...

Without a degree, you are really unlikely to be on more than $15 an hour, more probably $10 or thereabouts. The Chinese drive a hard bargain, and knowing where you live tend to set the wages appropriately. That means to get near the figure you suggest he must be teaching for 14+ hours a day. 7 days a week. Given that the online schools are open outside of school hours (typically 6 pm - 9 pm and during the day at weekends) that simply would not be possible. I do it for 12 hours a week, and in a good month, if I don't take time off, perhaps ThB25,000?

Incidentally, there are a number of international child protection agencies who would take a dim view of underpants and Mickey Mouse ears...

:smile:

Edited by JAG

10 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I can't wait. In a few years, I'll be laughed at for not doing ballroom dancing :cheesy: I'm not a bigot, I hope you just don't know the meaning of the word.

I had no idea that this dancing is due to become so big in the future.

Maybe you did Morris dancing when you were young, which has scarred to for life.

Off topic, but apropos of Morris Dancers - do you know why they have bells at their wrists and ankles?

So that they can annoy blind people too!

:sorry:

• Haha 1