Child UK passport

I have a 10 year old that has a british passport, although needs renewing as it was when he was a baby, so it was about 9 years ago we did this last.

I also have a 3 year old that has never had a british passport. Im 35 and was born after 1st Jan 1983, am I right in thinking that for my youngest I will need;

fill out form

My full birth certificate

my wifes birth certificate

Marriage cert not needed if born after 2006

2 pics

I was confused about picture ID what would this be a thai passport?

because I was born after 1 jan 1983 that means I also need to show my parents (grandparents) birth certificate, is it both, do I need their marriage cert too if theyre both british born?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Ben

Very similar situation to me very recently so happy to help. I have a 9 year old who needed a renewed PP and a 6 year old for first time., and yes it is a pain and yes it is NOT clear what is required no matter what any smart Alec on here would say.

I'm 48 and married to a Thai so I assume the requirements will be the same? (I can't remember when it changed)

For renewal pp you ONLY need..

Filled out form

2 pics (one countersigned)

Old passport - THAT'S IT.

New Passport...

Filled out form

Full applicants British birth cert - stamped by ministry to show it is a certified copy (from the Thai cert)

You full British birth certiicate

Some kind of proof of address (this can be tricky)

You do not need photo ID, nor grandparents/parents birth certs, not do you need your marriage certificate or your wife's birth certificate. However, they did ask if I have a copy of my wife's ID card and my daughters Thai birth cert, so you should take both of them, and if both your kids have Thai passports you might as well take them to air on the side of safety, but I wasn't asked for picture ID.

PiP

25 minutes ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

If the child has dual nationality, then there is no need to show any proof of address, as they are entitled to be in Thailand. Edit: The Mother's ID card would be accepted, as per the notes at the bottom of Table A in the suporting document guidance.

If either of the children have a Thai passport, remember to include colour photo copies of every page of these.

Edited by Mattd

18 minutes ago, Mattd said:

If the child has dual nationality, then there is no need to show any proof of address, as they are entitled to be in Thailand. Edit: The Mother's ID card would be accepted, as per the notes at the bottom of Table A in the suporting document guidance.

If either of the children have a Thai passport, remember to include colour photo copies of every page of these.

I was down there only last week and I was asked for proof of address. That said, as I said in my post, I was asked for the Mother's ID card which I never had, now whether or not that would have sufficed I have no idea as I never had it so didn't bother asking. I only learnt of proof of address doc requirement when I received an email from the PP office in Liverpool, it gave a list of docs that I could provide, the Mothers ID card was NOT on the list.

Thank to you both, That sounds great. If you read the supporting documents page, because im 35 and born after 1 jan 1983 it does say I need my parents birth certificates, but its not ticked in the page it does points to it.

anyway much appreciated

6 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Very similar situation to me very recently so happy to help. I have a 9 year old who needed a renewed PP and a 6 year old for first time., and yes it is a pain and yes it is NOT clear what is required no matter what any smart Alec on here would say.

I'm 48 and married to a Thai so I assume the requirements will be the same? (I can't remember when it changed)

For renewal pp you ONLY need..

Filled out form

Old passport - THAT'S IT.

New Passport...

Filled out form

Full applicants British birth cert - stamped by ministry to show it is a certified copy (from the Thai cert)

You full British birth certiicate

You do not need photo ID, nor grandparents/parents birth certs, not do you need your marriage certificate or your wife's birth certificate. However, they did ask if I have a copy of my wife's ID card and my daughters Thai birth cert, so you should take both of them, and if both your kids have Thai passports you might as well take them to air on the side of safety, but I wasn't asked for picture ID.

PiP

Hi Pat, thank you for your reply.

When you say full aplicants british birth certificate, as they werent born in the UK do you mean as you go onto say thai birth translation?

Lastly, when you say proff of address you mean of the applicant, my son?

Thanks again

10 minutes ago, benlovesnuk said:

Thank to you both, That sounds great. If you read the supporting documents page, because im 35 and born after 1 jan 1983 it does say I need my parents birth certificates, but its not ticked in the page it does points to it.

anyway much appreciated

You def don't need them.

On 5/18/2018 at 1:04 PM, Pat in Pattaya said:

I was down there only last week and I was asked for proof of address. That said, as I said in my post, I was asked for the Mother's ID card which I never had, now whether or not that would have sufficed I have no idea as I never had it so didn't bother asking. I only learnt of proof of address doc requirement when I received an email from the PP office in Liverpool, it gave a list of docs that I could provide, the Mothers ID card was NOT on the list.

If the child has dual nationality, then it is perfectly acceptable to provide the Mother's ID card as proof of residency, they are not interested in the actual address, only in whether the applicant is legally allowed to stay in Thailand.

Below from the guidance notes:

Name and address and/or residency evidence

Please provide one of the following:

• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

• tax record eg a letter from a tax authority

• educational record eg school report

• employment record eg official letter from your employer

• letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department

• medical/health card

• voter’s card

• immigration documents.

If you are applying for a Child First British Passport the following documents are also accepted.

The document provided should show a link to the parent applying and show that the child and parent are resident where they are applying from.

• Parents’ identity cards

• Child’s school records

• Medical/hospital records (birth records)

• Mother’s antenatal records

On 5/18/2018 at 6:50 PM, benlovesnuk said:

anyway much appreciated

This only applies if you were the applicant applying for your first passport, as it is your child, then you need your birth certificate (long form) and your child's birth certificate. (which in effect is as you state, i.e. you are the parent)

For the renewal a colour copy of every page in there Thai and British passports. They do need a proof of address, I've just done my son's and we showed the house book.

This won't apply to you but my son's was rejected as the photo was not countersigned, in the notes it says children under 12 and my boy was a few days off his 15th birthday. When I called to ask about this all I got back was the notes are only a guide. So I would get them countersigned next time.