Video of pregnant whale shark caught by fishermen goes viral on social media

rooster59

Video of pregnant whale shark caught by fishermen goes viral on social media

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

11.jpg

PHOTOS AND VIDEOS: Go-Eco Phuket

Facebook user ‘Go-Eco Phuket’ local conservation group yesterday (May 18) posted a video clip with 1.11 minutes long with a message read “#RIP whale shark mother at Phuket. Why catching small fish. Catching a big fish is better with its babies. Cr.Aqua centre.”

The video clip shows a whale shark being hung on the side of a fishing boat in the Andaman sea. The fishing boat crew were helping to sort out ropes from the dead whale shark.

One of an admin of ‘Go-Eco Phuket’ facebook group says, “The incident happened between Koh Racha and Flower Island about 3pm yesterday while a diving boat with divers was heading back to Phuket.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/video-of-pregnant-whale-shark-caught-by-fishermen-goes-viral-on-social-media

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-05-19

I hope this was accidentally caught in the nets and not purposely hunted. A few days ago I was praising local fishermen who managed to release a Whaleshark and hoping their next catch was fantastic.From watching the video it looks as though this crew threw it back but it didn’t look in very good shape. The heading suggests that the creature was killed for profit, if so why did they throw it back? . I think the comment inferring that the fishermen caught it purposely is totally misleading. 

Edited by PJPom
Correcting myself

It's only reported because there happened to be tourists around.lets not forget that was 2 whale sharks and for the price of about 5-10 kilo of fish,that were on the deck.they must have some idea about the migration of whale sharks but keep fishing .death and destruction of the whole environment and eco system.there should be some months when fishing with nets is banned like other countries do.this ain't just about sharks it about all marine life that is getting wiped out at an ever increasing rate.i can't wait for the EU to put a red flag on thailand for its rotten fishing industry where money comes first as usual.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PJPom said:

I hope this was accidentally caught in the nets and not purposely hunted. A few days ago I was praising local fishermen who managed to release a Whaleshark and hoping their next catch was fantastic.From watching the video it looks as though this crew threw it back but it didn’t look in very good shape. The heading suggests that the creature was killed for profit, if so why did they throw it back? . I think the comment inferring that the fishermen caught it purposely is totally misleading. 

Probably died of shock after a miscarriage.i think they didn't hunt this shark but are guilty of causing the death of both of them.they are guilty by way of fishing with nets in waters that are known to have a concentration of whale sharks in.

11 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Probably died of shock after a miscarriage.i think they didn't hunt this shark but are guilty of causing the death of both of them.they are guilty by way of fishing with nets in waters that are known to have a concentration of whale sharks in.

Of course they hunted it. They saw it and thought of all the money.

The post I quoted contradicts your earlier post, are you just trolling here?

7 hours ago, stevenl said:

Never even seen your post.i just read the report and watched the snuff movie.

2 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Never even seen your post.i just read the report and watched the snuff movie.

Doesn't matter if you read my post yes or no, your posts are contradicting.

But that is more than enough attention for you.

12 hours ago, stevenl said:

So you believe the intentionally hunted this fish.they are now looking at a fine of up to 3,000,000 baht and have had two trawlers confiscated.they even threw it back in the sea on the video,so how do you come to this conclusion they saw it and thought of all the money.they accidentally caught this fish up in the nets and been caught red handed trying to dispose of the body.as for the trolling bit,I wrote post 4-5 and you came along with some bs after me on post 5-7 so how the hell could of read any post.has someone forgot their medication today?

Edited by happy chappie
Added com

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Doesn't matter if you read my post yes or no, your posts are contradicting.

But that is more than enough attention for you.

Contradicting what may I ask? You've come alone and contradicted me if anything by saying they've hunted this fish down as they were thinking of all that money.as for me wanting attention i haven't the faintest idea what your on about.i only write what is my opinion and I do not seek any attention thank you very much..maybe if you didn't write some much bs like 'of course they hunted it,they saw it and thought about all the money' you might get some needed attention...what a very sad person you must be.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Contradicting what may I ask? You've come alone and contradicted me if anything by saying they've hunted this fish down as they were thinking of all that money.as for me wanting attention i haven't the faintest idea what your on about.i only write what is my opinion and I do not seek any attention thank you very much..maybe if you didn't write some much bs like 'of course they hunted it,they saw it and thought about all the money' you might get some needed attention...what a very sad person you must be.

Very good when your faced with the truth that the best you can do is reply is to send a stupid emoji face.