Work Permit advice or Info needed.

I am in need of some work permit advice that I am sure some of the seasoned members will have at their fingertips.

I live in Bangkok with my Thai wife and currently hold a retirement extension and am aware that under the current rules I am not allowed to work.

I have been offered a position with a local company who are prepared to do all the paperwork regarding applying for a work permit etc but I am still unsure of some of the facts surrounding what I would be required to do and how it all works.

I have googled the topic and found the requirements from my side but it all seems to be aimed at someone just arriving in country. So my questions are:

1. Is a work permit a type of visa in itself or is it an extra stamp in your passport and you still need another valid visa to support it?

2. If I applied to change my current retirement status to married status - which I believe allows me to work (correct me if I am wrong please) - would that be a sensible route to go or are there other options? 

Any other advice, positive suggestions, or points of view are welcome.

Thanks to all.

1. A work permit is book similar to a bank book that is issued by the Labor Ministry. You have to have a non immigrant visa entry for it to be issued.

2. You can get a work permit and work with an extension of stay based upon marriage. You would not be able to change the reason for your current extension based upon retirement to marriage unless it is close to the date it expires. You may have to go out for a new non-o visa and then apply for the extension based upon marriage. 

you are by no means alone in this subject  of visa/wp    unraveling  good luck

i think the advise you have received thus far  should be acurate and helpful

Edited by Lamkyong