Hawaii lava flow engulfs more homes as ash plume ascends

rooster59

Hawaii lava flow engulfs more homes as ash plume ascends

By Terray Sylvester

800x800 (10).jpg

Lava erupts on the outskirts of Pahoa during ongoing eruptions of the Kilauea Volcano in Hawaii, U.S., May 19, 2018. REUTERS/Terray Sylvester

PAHOA, Hawaii (Reuters) - New, fast-moving lava poured from the flank of Hawaii's Kilauea volcano on Saturday, destroying four more homes on the Big Island after a second explosive eruption shot a nearly two-mile-high (10,000 foot) ash plume from the crater.

Molten rock from two huge cracks formed a single channel and traveled 1,000 feet in under an hour, twice the speed of previous flows of older lava that have torn through homes, roads and tropical forest for over two weeks, the County of Hawaii's Civil Defense Agency said.

The new lava, which is flowing east underground from the sinking lava lake at Kilauea's summit, is expected to create more voluminous flows that travel further, threatening homes and a coastal road that is a key exit route for around 2,000 residents.

"There is much more stuff coming out of the ground and its going to produce flows that will move much further away," said U.S. Geological Survey scientist Wendy Stovall on a conference call with reporters.

Up at the volcano's summit, some 25 miles (40 km) to the east, the second large explosive eruption occurred around midnight, with winds blowing ash onto communities southwest of the crater, the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reported.

Scientists expect Kilauea, one of the world's most active volcanoes, to experience a series of explosive eruptions that could spread ash and volcanic smog across the Big Island, the southernmost of the Hawaiian archipelago. That could pose a hazard to jet engines if it blows into aircraft routes around 30,000 feet (9,144 meters).

There have been no reported injuries or deaths since the latest eruption began on May 3.

Lava crossed a road on Friday near the Leilani Gardens housing development in lower Puna district, cutting off around 40 homes and forcing the helicopter evacuation of four residents by Hawaii National Guard, authorities said.

Around 2,000 residents of Leilani Estates and Laipuna Gardens housing areas have faced mandatory evacuations due to at least 22 volcanic cracks that have opened since May 3.

Many thousands more residents of the area have voluntarily left their homes due to life-threatening levels of toxic sulfur dioxide gas spewing from vents in the volcanic fissures.

A further 2,000 residents of coastal communities may face compulsory evacuation if lava from the fissures blocks the oceanside Highway 137.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-05-20

My cousin has lived in the town of Volcano Hawaii for 40 years. She is about 14 km from Kilauea to the west about 24 km from the lava flows to the east. We communicate numerous time each day. She gives me info before most news media pick it up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Catoni said:

What really gets me is that there are people who build or buy a home not far from a volcano, (especially an active one)... and then they express shock when they wake up and find lava flowing through their living room. 

Kind of reminds me of people who decide to build and live in a home on a flood plain.... and then express surprise and shock when they get flooded out. 

Mother Nature can unexpectedly pretty much make anywhere unsafe.   Much of the Western US live in the shadow of potential volcanic eruptions,  including the city of Seattle.   

Most local gov'ts do or should zone out flood plains from having houses built.   

Then there are hurricanes.   Perhaps people shouldn't build or live within 50 - 100 miles from the Ocean.   I am not sure what to do with those who live in places like Tornado Alley.

11 hours ago, Credo said:

Mother Nature can unexpectedly pretty much make anywhere unsafe.   Much of the Western US live in the shadow of potential volcanic eruptions,  including the city of Seattle.   

Most local gov'ts do or should zone out flood plains from having houses built.   

Then there are hurricanes.   Perhaps people shouldn't build or live within 50 - 100 miles from the Ocean.   I am not sure what to do with those who live in places like Tornado Alley.

Well.... lots of stupid people in the world.  The whole city of Richmond, British Columbia, Canada, as well as the Vancouver International Airport, is built on the Frazer River Floodplain.  The British Columbia website says, "The risk of catastrophic loss from flood is greatest in in the Lower Mainland because of a large population and significant infrastructure built in the floodplain area."

I guess it's not a matter of "if"...  only a matter of "when". 

I do understand that anywhere can be unsafe.....  But some places are much more unsafe than others.

For instance...  my hometown in Canada has not experienced a devastating hurricane since Hurrican Hazel in 1954 somehow made it's way that far north and inland. 

And the last time my hometown in Canada had a very bad, destructive and killing Tornado/Twister was way back in Sept. 26, 1898.

I'd guess the odds of getting hit by a Tornado would be much higher in a place like Oklahoma. 

Although you can't escape all danger... you can choose places where the odds of danger are much much lower.