Border run in Penang

Penang is not close to a Thai border.

There are crossings at Sadao and Padang Besar to Malaysia you can use.

For have been reported as wanting to see 20k baht on entry. Also they sometimes state you must spend the night in Malaysia prior to re-entering.

Do you have a valid Thai visa for entry or are you wanting to cross and return to get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

Yes, she is allowed two 30 day Visa exempt border crossing per year.

As Joe commented, be prepared to send a night in Malaysia and make sure she is carrying the equivalent of 20,000 baht.

On 5/21/2018 at 10:37 AM, peperobi said:

Put just 200 Baht or 20 MR in your passport before you give it to the officer. That is the usual procedure at Sadao. 

It was - but higher-ups have cracked-down on this - twice.  Evidently, someone important was not cut-in on the deal.  The "one night out" rule seems to have come into force in the wake of these events.  For this reason, I would avoid Sadao, if possible.

Pedang Besar is a better place to enter - but still be prepared to show the 20K Baht.  Not sure if they ever do the "one night out" bit there.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

Update. My friend was turned back at thai border, told she has to stay in malaysia for the night. The said she was working, which she isn't, because she had stayed in Thailand 90 days already. They then said come tomorrow and cross over ............

Never tell Immigration your working as an excuse for staying 90 days in Thailand.

What she is doing is perfectly legitimate and legal as a Tourist.

She's just given them a reason to refuse entry.

• 2 weeks later...

Additional information:

Nobody seems to use Sungai Kolok to do a visa run / border bounce / call it what you will so I gave it a try yesterday on my Non 'O'. I can report no difficulties whatsoever; no nonsense about staying in Malaysia, no 20k asked for or bribe solicited. Nor did I see anybody else being given a hard time, but then it looked like 95% of users were Thai and Malay.

God, they were slow, but I think that was down to non Thai and Malay documents being outside their comfort zone - I was even asked "So you want 90 days?" (Yes please) "Err, O.K..."

On 5/23/2018 at 1:16 PM, Tanoshi said:

Never tell Immigration your working as an excuse for staying 90 days in Thailand.

What she is doing is perfectly legitimate and legal as a Tourist.

She's just given them a reason to refuse entry.

She didn't tell them, Immigration told her she was, read the post again

You read the post again.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:04 PM, mearkat75 said:

The said she was working, which she isn't, because she had stayed in Thailand 90 days already.

Obviously a typo error, could be either 'She' or 'They'.

Take your pick, I chose 'she', you chose 'they'.

8 hours ago, baboon said:

Nobody seems to use Sungai Kolok to do a visa run / border bounce / call it what you will

I've gone through there a few times with a car. Very relaxed border crossing. The first time I went through from Malaysia I actually missed the Thai immigration completely and drove out of the border station and into Thailand. No one cared! When I realized I'm out I had to turn back to find the immigration booth and get my visa exempt entry. They never asked me to show any funds or any questions at all, just stamped me in.

• Like 1