Medicine

tom_a

As I was looking into moving to Thailand towards the end of this summer, I found out along the planning stages that the Foreign Medical Program underthe Veterans Administration for the U.S. doesn't pay for medications for non service connected disabilities. So, I will need to buy my own cholesterol medication. My question is, does anyone here currently buy these types of medications and what kind of costs am I looking at? I also take a few other meds but forthe most part, the cholesterol meds are the most important. I really appreciate any help you can offer.

Sincerely,

Tom

Name the exact cholesterol med. Name brands are expensive but less than US retail. Lipitor is everywhere, but some of the less popular ones like Pravachol are harder to even find. You will get better info if you say the name and dose. Also, you might talk to a Thai doctor who might approve switching you to a Thai generic statin. Those would be a few dollars a month and could possibly do exactly the same job which can be verified with blood tests.

Edited by Jingthing

As I was looking into moving to Thailand towards the end of this summer, I found out along the planning stages that the Foreign Medical Program underthe Veterans Administration for the U.S. doesn't pay for medications for non service connected disabilities. So, I will need to buy my own cholesterol medication. My question is, does anyone here currently buy these types of medications and what kind of costs am I looking at? I also take a few other meds but forthe most part, the cholesterol meds are the most important. I really appreciate any help you can offer.

Sincerely,

Tom

Private message me a list of your medications and their dosages and I'll check with the local pharmacy on their availability and pricing.

Did you know that you can now buy generic Pravachol at Walmart for only $4 per month? This obviously won't help you in Thailand, but it may help you now and if you can figure out a way to get more than a month at a time, you might actually import drugs into Thailand (now there's a switch!).