Dual Nationals

If you have knowledge of how this works for dual nationals, in particular US citizen with a Thai parent living in Krung Thep that has obtained a Thai passport. Please PM me.

Thanks,

Randy

acutally what is ur question?

My query is in regards to the procedure. What is involved; is it just the basic Thai passport application thats required?

Thanks,

Randy

Go the passport office with:

Birth certificate

Household papers

Id card

and apply.

All the documents will be scanned at the office and your photo taken.

The passport will be ready one week later.

The cost is 1000 baht.

No need to mention any other nationality. Just prove you are Thai.

In the case of a child both parents need to be present to sign.

If you have knowledge of how this works for dual nationals, in particular US citizen with a Thai parent living in Krung Thep that has obtained a Thai passport. Please PM me.

Thanks,

Randy

as i understand it, if you were born outside of thailand you need to get your e-passport from a consulate. it won't be possible to get it in thailand.

Thanks,

Randy

as i understand it, if you were born outside of thailand you need to get your e-passport from a consulate. it won't be possible to get it in thailand.

Thanks; thats pertinant.

Thanks,

Randy

Thanks; thats pertinant.

Not quite true. If you have never lived in Thailand before (eg overseas born and bred Thai with a Thai Birth certificate issued by the embassy), and you have not got an ID card or house registration, then it is easier to get the Thai embassy overseas to issue the Passport so you can enter Thailand on the Thai PP.

If you are in Thailand, have a Thai BC (or naturalisation documents to prove that you have been granted Thai citizenship), you NEED to be registered on the Tabieen Baan and have an ID Card before the application can be processed by the passport office.

I did this one year ago. I brought birth certificate from USA but written in thai and stamped by Thai Consular office in the USA (My father had this done when I was born just in case, luckily), Thai I.D. card, Tabien Ban, and US Passport.

I didn't have to show my US passport during the application process but I needed to show it when I picked my passport up. They wanted it as a verification of birthplace (since I was not born in Thailand).

Don't remember the price, but the above sounds correct, and the process was quick and rather efficient.

I did this one year ago. I brought birth certificate from USA but written in thai and stamped by Thai Consular office in the USA (My father had this done when I was born just in case, luckily), Thai I.D. card, Tabien Ban, and US Passport.

I didn't have to show my US passport during the application process but I needed to show it when I picked my passport up. They wanted it as a verification of birthplace (since I was not born in Thailand).

Don't remember the price, but the above sounds correct, and the process was quick and rather efficient.

This is very helpful. Sounds just like my situation.

Thanks,

Randy

• 4 months later...

Just an update - I did get my Thai passport today in the mail.

I did have to show my US passport (facsimile) during the process.

Now, how does this give me an advantage for use at the airport? When I arrive in BKK - I just go to the Thai Passport desk - and this is done because (1) its faster than foreigner desk? (2) Thais are less hasselled for bringing in dutiable goods. I am just spiffballing here - as I am trying to figure out when its best advantagous to use the Thai passport vs. the US passport.

Your comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Randy

I'm not too sure about being less hassled re duty on bringing stuff in.

Might depend on where you're coming in from, for example Thai Nationals coming back from Hong Kong or Singapore are being checked over extremely good, since the custom officials are almost certain they've been on a shopping trip!

Foreigners on the other hand are left pretty much alone, since in general it's assumed they are tourists in Thailand and will take out whatever they brought in!

Now, how does this give me an advantage for use at the airport? When I arrive in BKK - I just go to the Thai Passport desk - and this is done because (1) its faster than foreigner desk? (2) Thais are less hasselled for bringing in dutiable goods. I am just spiffballing here - as I am trying to figure out when its best advantagous to use the Thai passport vs. the US passport.

Thanks,

Randy

you wont need a visa to enter. You can stay as long as you want. You don't need a work permit.

The fee at airport is a normal airport tax that used to be collected in person rather than as an extra charge on ticket (as was the case in most countries). Believe that has changed and charge should now be on ticket now; or will be soon?

This question has been asked fairly often... likely often enough to come up on google searches. :o

But yes, as mentioned, it's a clear advantage to have a Thai passport, to be on a local tabien baan, and have a Thai id card if you are a dual national and living in Thailand. No visa required, you can own property, run businesses, all without hoops.

:D

Thanks,

Randy

You do not say how old you are but you should be aware that Thailand has Military Conscription for male citizens under a certain age (not sure what the age is though).

If you are in that age bracket, living in Thailand as a Thai citizen, you will be subject to the “lottery” for the Draft.

Holding another nationality does not exempt you.

Patrick

• 1 month later...

Thanks,

Randy

You do not say how old you are but you should be aware that Thailand has Military Conscription for male citizens under a certain age (not sure what the age is though).

If you are in that age bracket, living in Thailand as a Thai citizen, you will be subject to the "lottery" for the Draft.

Holding another nationality does not exempt you.

Patrick

-------------------------------------------------

I'm new to this forum. I was looking for information, which is posted in that topic. I'm married with Thai lady. We have son, 2 years old, he was born in Slovenia (Europe, EU) and we apply for Thai passport, which eventually we got it. What we are questioning ourselves now is what are +++ and --- if our son have Thai passport? I would like to get some more info, if he need to enter Thai army or not? We live in Slovenia, we have paid army so there is no need for man to serve in army. I'm afraid, that one day, when our son will be more than 21 years old, when he will enter Thailand, they will arrest him, since he did not serve in Thai army. Can this happen? How to prevent, that this will not happen?

Edited by ayrtons

as long as your child is not on the house registration here in Thailand, he should be fine.

However, if he moves back to thailand, he will be obligated to report. Short trips however do not count. He will not be arrested as immigration and the army do not work together on these issues.

as long as your child is not on the house registration here in Thailand, he should be fine.

However, if he moves back to thailand, he will be obligated to report. Short trips however do not count. He will not be arrested as immigration and the army do not work together on these issues.

-------------------------------------

He is registered on the house registration in Thailand.

We live now in Slovenia, we plan to stay living in Slovenia and not move to Thailand, but we are making regular holiday trips to Thailand almost every year and stay in Thailand for approximately 40 days time. Do you think then, that is better to renounce Thai citizenship for our son and wait till he is more than 30 years old and then apply for recovery of Thai nationality again? He has Thai born certificate.