Illegal for Taxi passengers to have beer bottle? 20,000 baht fine and arrest?

atyclb

Road checkpoint cop stops taxi and makes passengers get out . Find  half full beer Threatens 20,000 baht fine and arrest but willing to accept 5000 baht cash.

There must be tons of tourists leaving  pubs using taxis. is this open season for  shakedowns?

I never assumed that I could have open alcohol in a taxi - but then my home country/province has laws to do with open alcohol in moving vehicles - which is why we put it in the trunk.  If there is an infraction they can take advantage of... they will at some time do.

49 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Need to cite rule to find out proper fine for open container....the driver in western countries is accountable for fines not the passenger 

Wrong I'm afraid in the UK.  A passenger, for example, will be fined for not wearing a seat belt, not the driver!

3 hours ago, thecaveman said:

It is prohibited to drink alcoholic beverages in a moving car (including private cars). This applies to the driver and all passengers in the car.

Is this Thailand you're referring to? I had no idea.

I must be naive - what's the reason behind it for the passengers?

• Like 2

Illegal for Taxi passengers to have beer bottle? 20,000 baht fine and arrest?

Nah, I can not answer if it´s actually illegal or not. One thing, though! tjis was a shakedown. Corruption, trying to make somebody pay what they have to let go out of fear.

Not even if you open the beer in the taxi after the police stop you, drink it empty sitting down in the viechle and after throwing it in the face of the officer. You would not get a fine of 20K!

Farang smoking on a beach: 100,000 THB fine
Farang with open container in taxi: 20,000 THB fine
Thai assaults and batters (sucker punched) German tourist: 500 THB
Amazing Thailand: Priceless

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

Wrong I'm afraid in the UK.  A passenger, for example, will be fined for not wearing a seat belt, not the driver!

depending on the western country, the driver will also be fined, and the driver fine is in general higher too when the passenger get fined

7 minutes ago, Autonuaq said:

depending on the western country, the driver will also be fined, and the driver fine is in general higher too when the passenger get fined

In the UK driver responsible for ensuring passengers under 14 wear seatbelts, over 14 passenger’s responsibility. No law in UK to prevent driver or passengers drinking whilst in a car, unless deemed not to be in control, also good grounds for breath test.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, connda said:

Farang smoking on a beach: 100,000 THB fine
Farang with open container in taxi: 20,000 THB fine
Thai assaults and batters (sucker punched) German tourist: 500 THB
Amazing Thailand: Priceless

The beach smoking fines and the open alcohol in a moving vehicle fine are the maximum fines for both Thais and Foreigners .

500 Baht fine is about right for hitting someone .

Not sure why you want to divide things up between Thais and Felansg and make out that felangs are victimized  

I had no idea this law existed in Thailand. 

This a link to the latest Alcohol Control Act 2008 (in English)... although I can't find the section that suggests Alcohol is illegal in moving vehicles. 

That said, a quick google information that a law exists making it illegal to drink Alcohol as a passenger in a moving vehicle.

..... its something I do regularly... (at least once per week !) - heading out for dinner with my Wife, she'll drive and I'll chill out and have a beer on the way !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I never assumed that I could have open alcohol in a taxi - but then my home country/province has laws to do with open alcohol in moving vehicles - which is why we put it in the trunk.  If there is an infraction they can take advantage of... they will at some time do.

Never buy an SUV or hatchback. No trunk.

4 minutes ago, lust said:

Nothing to do with being in a trunk. Rule is it must be out of reach from the driver.

Easy to toss a bottle in back when flashing lights come on. I like that rule!

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Is this Thailand you're referring to? I had no idea. 

Yes, that's Thai law which came into effect some 3 or 4 years ago.

I must be naive - what's the reason behind it for the passengers?

You are not seriously asking for a reason behind any thai law, are you? But as far as  remember, they said something like "it might tempt the driver to drink also".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know that I am getting old but the law should prohibit drinking in a public place.

Every time I see some miserable prick wandering down the road slurping out of a big bottle 

of beer from 7/11 I cringe. It is not as if Bangkok has no bars

1 minute ago, natway09 said:

I know that I am getting old but the law should prohibit drinking in a public place.

Every time I see some miserable prick wandering down the road slurping out of a big bottle 

of beer from 7/11 I cringe. It is not as if Bangkok has no bars

I’m sure your native country strongly supports no drinking in public places. Why did you leave?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

The sixth row of the table below refers to both driver and passenger of a vehicle. Maximum penalty six months gaol or 10,000 Baht fine, or both. Third column refers to specific law, passed in 2008:

ดื่มสุราบนรถ.jpg

thanx for all the replies.

yes i saw row 6. interesting is there is no distinction made for a taxi. also per row 6 both driver and passengers are liable but the cop paid no attention to the driver instead intimidating a female thai passenger with 20000 baht fine and arrest and made her cry because she has a child to take care of.

of note is how the taxi driver knew enough english to tell me to pay 5000 to cop. almost like driver was salivating about a soon to be received commission. i held my ground and very plainly told cop to write summons or even better we all go to police station and do summons and all legally. he declined going to station nor would tell me what station. female thai also thought it strange on how taxi driver was so well versed on telling me to pay 5000 baht.

videotaped him also and he told me that is illegal and erase video. thai friends tell me he lied as thai people do it all the time and legal.

from online research the "no alcohol onboard" rule is intended for private vehicles as it is assumed the passenger (can share the alcohol with driver as they are friends) this law should be revised to exclude taxis given all the tourism in thailand.

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1

This is from an article March 2018

Subject: Drunk Driving  Penalties Thailand 

• The legal blood alcohol limit for licensed drivers in Thailand is 0.05.
    For learner drivers, probationary drivers, taxi drivers, bus drivers, train drivers and all drivers of public service vehicles the limit is 0.00, zero alcohol.
    Passengers are not allowed to drink in any vehicle except trains.
    Drinking is not allowed in stationary vehicles parked on roads and streets, the only exception is if thr vehicle is parked outside your own house.
    The police have authority to stop and breathalyze any driver at any time.

Tidbits of information. 

Mexico bought beers from a stand and asked can we walk around and drink (street area) yes no problem. Then askedis it legal. No but you can still drink if you want. 

California - First seat belt ticket @ $165 USD. I’d passenger in car (16 or over) Driver and passenger get ticket. If passenger is under 16 tickets 

Open Container - $250 USD if under legal limit No jail time but points may be taken off DL. If you’re under 21 and driver or passenger under 21 possible 6 months jail sentence and $1000 USD. (Under age drinking and open container). 

DUI - Driving Under Influence. Charges that can apply for 1st offense. 

• Informal (otherwise known as "summary") probation for three to five years,
  • Up to six months in a county jail,
  • Between $390-$1,000 in fines, plus penalty assessments, for a total of $1500 to $2000,
  • A three month court-approved alcohol and/or drug education program (AB541 class),
  • A 6-month drivers license suspension

2nd offense 

• Three to five years of summary probation,9
  • A minimum of 96 hours to a maximum of one year in a county jail,
  • Between $390-$1,000 in fines,
  • Completion of an 18-month or 30-month court-approved California DUI school, and
  • Three to five years of summary probation,9
  • A minimum of 96 hours to a maximum of one year in a county jail,
  • Between $390-$1,000 in fines,
  • Completion of an 18-month or 30-month court-approved California DUI school, and
  • A two-year driver's license suspension after twelve months, may be converted to a restricted license.

California for first misdemeanor traffic ticket gives you option to pay fine and against your record OR pay fine go to traffic school (16 hours) and doesn’t go against record. Doesn’t apply to DUI. 

I was ticketed for crossing double yellow line and opted for Fine and School. 

Class was conducted by Highway Patrol (not city cop). Some of it was interesting. 

He said if you’ve been drinking put an unopened bottle of alcohol in car. If pulled over for DUI stop throw keys out the window and when officer gets to the car open 

talcohol so he seea wasn’t opened prior and start drinking. Your plea is you got scared and panicked and opened the bottle started drinking. You never know it might work.

Make Ke sure you throw the keys out of car. In California is you passed out drunk sleeping in the car and have keys in car it’s DUI. If keys not in car maybe sleeping illegally or drunk in public..

• Like 1