3BB Fiber 200 Mbps Plan - Are you getting the speeds you are paying for?

Xentrk

If you are a 3bb fiber customer and have the 200 Mbps plan, you may want to contact 3bb to obtain a new Fiberhome modem/router that has a 5 Ghz radio.  My friend was just provided one.  The issue with the current Fiberhome modem/routers is that you will never be able to get the 200 Mbps using the 2.4 Ghz Wifi connection.  You need to use a 5 Ghz WiFi radio to get the 200 Mbps.  That is my experience from testing I've performed.

For the past few months, my friend has only been getting 100 Mbps speed over an Ethernet cable despite having the 200 Mbps plan.  I tested this morning and found I have the same issue.  They were able to fix the problem by issuing a reset on the Fiberhome mode/router from their office.  I have the Fiberhome modem/router placed in Bridge mode and use my own router.  I converted a Windows 7 PC with an Intel i5 CPU to a pfSense router.  The AES-NI feature of the CPU has greatly accelerated my OpenVPN client speeds. 

Something that can also affect internet speeds is the Ethernet cable.  I found out with my testing this morning that the CAT 5E can only support speeds up to 100 Mbps.  Whereas CAT 6 supports 1 Gbps.  So, if you have the 200 Mbps plan, and connect a laptop or computer to the router using a CAT 5E, you will only get 100 Mbps.  To check your network adapter on a Windows PC or laptop, open the Control Panel.  Navigate to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network Connections.  Select Change Adapter Settings on the left.  Double-click on the network adapter you are using.  Look for the line marked as speed.  It will show you the max speed the network adapter will support. 

This is the speed test site the 3bb tech used to verify my problem was fixed:  http://speedtest.adslthailand.com/.

I prefer it when compared to the other sites I have used in the past. 

3bb was very responsive to my concerns.  They also had a customer service representative call me back this evening to confirm my issue was resolved.  I am happy with their customer service.

Edited by Xentrk
  • Like 1

I have 3bb 200/100 Fibre.

I am connected to the fibre router using cat 5e cable via a gigabit NIC.

Attached are the adapter details, an Ookla speedtest and a speedtest using http://speedtest.adslthailand.com/

I'm not sure you are correct that Cat 5e can only run @ 100Mb -  my results say otherwise. It's more likely that you have a 10/100 NIC.

adapter details.jpg

speedtest1.jpg

speedtest2.jpg

Edited by Mutt Daeng
Typo

OP,

CAT 5E can do 1Gb data transfer rate.   It's just CAT6 has better frequency response. 

I don't have 3BB but an AIS 200Mb plan where I have one long Cat5e cable approx 25 meters in my home setup and it flows that plan's 200Mb speed no problem...actually I get around 225Mb like Mutt Daeng gets on his 3BB 200Mb plan.   

Something else was just causing your 1000Mb ports to downshift to 100Mb....can be either a router or computer issue.

image.png.3126ca40610e6a896f0feea407c8b38f.png