RTP: Start fining drunk drivers up to 200,000 baht!

snoop1130

12 minutes ago, ttrd said:

RE - what is the point of me relying on a taxi home because I don't want to drink and drive when the taxi driver I get is out of his tree

DONT - and by planning to visit a bar/restaurant in a walking distance from Your home/accommodation seems to be a safer option.…:coffee1:

well that solved that one ?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, smedly said:

well that solved that one ?

One solved is one saved as its said - Rome was not built in one day so its all about to manage to function in a safe manner in the time between...:coffee1:

14 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

That will be the Falang price.

What will Somchai pay,  500 baht and a quick Wai :jap:

maybe an increase,  to a double Wai. :jap::jap:

with choc chip I hope!!

Raising the fine for drunk driving is the same tactic the government used to attempt to control motorcycle riding on the sidewalk. It's a ploy used to attempt to scare people into compliance but like most laws, they are eventually ignored.

Aside from Songkran, police patrols are rare so few are apprehended to begin with.   In addition, being drunk is culturally acceptable here, which makes it difficult to assess an exorbitant fine.  TIT  

4 minutes ago, ICECOOL said:

prob depends if it's a legal stop  or not but it seems it's 0.05 as I got tested on one of their blowers and it showed  .038. Walked away.

Just out of curiosity how much did you have to drink, and what do you weigh? 

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I think it's 50 mg !!! Actually, you are right in 0.5g/l.. It's 50mg/100ml

Actually, when you put it like that I think I'm wrong. It should be 0.05g/l if it is 50mg/100ml.. As 0.5g/l equates to 500mg/100ml, that cant be right.

3 minutes ago, jossthaifarang said:

Just out of curiosity how much did you have to drink, and what do you weigh? 

I was drinking the 3.5 percent Singh's light which they strangely increased to 4.5 percent 2 weeks later.  Had 8 in 4 hrs with food but I weigh 100 kg.  I now just drink the 5 percent and have water along the way. 

1 hour ago, smedly said:

That shit makes me very angry, what is the point of me relying on a taxi home because I don't want to drink and drive when the taxi driver I get is out of his tree, not the first time this has happened either

Just download the GRAB app and use a car instead. Riding on the back of a motobike in Thailand when drunk I stopped many years ago . Unless you like to gamble. 

I was drinking the 3.5 percent Singh's light which they strangely increased to 4.5 percent 2 weeks later.  Had 8 in 4 hrs with food but I weigh 100 kg.  I now just drink the 5 percent and have water along the way. 

Alcohol concentration in the body is usually determined by measuring:
Blood alcohol concentration (BAC)
Breath alcohol concentration (BrAC)

http://www.iddpa.org/alcohol02.htm

Cheers mate, I only weigh 69kg I'll stick to 6 @ 5 percent in 4 hrs..

It doesn't matter that the fine goes up,,,, From what I have seen around here Not to many people are paying Any Fines, As for having to pay the Fines before Renewing their Rego They just Don't renew  the rego, And for the Licence if one gets taking /Banned from Driving, They drive Without one, In our Village there are more unroadworthy  vehicles and Motorbikes/ no Rego/ insurance/and no licence /under Age/Can't Drive /Ride ,than People With . And on top off that there;s not one copper around that does His job. So what's the use off making Laws in a Lawless Country... 

End off rant,,, Have a nice Day,,,     ?

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

Which is why confiscation of the vehicle (he won’t have money to buy another and drive again) is the only remedy.

It is the best solution and maybe they will learn from it . Fines will not help that's for sure. 

34 minutes ago, digger70 said:

It doesn't matter that the fine goes up,,,, From what I have seen around here Not to many people are paying Any Fines, As for having to pay the Fines before Renewing their Rego They just Don't renew  the rego, And for the Licence if one gets taking /Banned from Driving, They drive Without one, In our Village there are more unroadworthy  vehicles and Motorbikes/ no Rego/ insurance/and no licence /under Age/Can't Drive /Ride ,than People With . And on top off that there;s not one copper around that does His job. So what's the use off making Laws in a Lawless Country... 

End off rant,,, Have a nice Day,,,     ?

Same around our way.  The average fine for drink driving is 1000 baht and told to go on their way, they laugh about it and even if the new fines are approved all it will do is raise the cash in pocket to the local Plod to 2000 Baht because if they won't pay it they will be in deep doo doo.

When people are stopped with no documents they fine them 200 Baht on the spot and they are allowed to continue on their merry way,  nobody cares, Plods or Public...Period !

4 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I think it's 50 mg !!! Actually, you are right in 0.5g/l.. It's 50mg/100ml

Sounds about right, its 35 in the uk which allows you about 3 or 4  bottles, the drop off rate after drinking is about 20ml per hour after first consumption https://www.healthline.com/health/how-long-does-alcohol-stay-in-your-system

17 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Why not ?

Surely that would be a far better deterrent, especially for the more affluent offenders, some of whom think they are above the law.

Because the whole intention of this to allow police to charge higher bribes to let drivers get back in their cars and drive home drunk.

5 hours ago, helloagain said:

I agree stanleycoin. I get so pissed at the 2 tier price. Its the same crime. Thais are obsessed with the word farang. My thai wife has been to many countries now and not once has she heard somebody say that asian over there.

well dont get me started, its called PC, politically correctness....  just look around in your own country, if you are a normal looking white male they will pick on you 80% of the time, its too risky for them to pick on others as they will get accused of racial harassment blah blah blah .... so you could call it reverse rasialism ...  

Why not ?

Surely that would be a far better deterrent, especially for the more affluent offenders, some of whom think they are above the law.

That's an odd thing to say as there are many more offenders who are not affluent (than there are those who are) that think they are above the law.

A post using ALL CAPS has been removed, please turn off your Caps Lock when posting. 

Another troll post using an oversize insulting emoji has been removed, continue to use those emojis and your posts will simply disappear. 

Why not ?

Yes, but that tier of society are indeed above the law, and would never ever see a jail from the inside. Only the non elite, non connected, non hiso.

Archived