mosquito time again/ why are they getting so smart now

opalred

3 hours ago, rosst said:

A little trick I learned is a teaspoon in hot coffee and apply to the bite and hold it to transfer heat which breaks down the venom in the bite. The itching will not occur but if you have a bite that is itching, apply toothpaste. True story. 

Teaspoon may really really have to try, but the toothpaste for the itch is a 50/50. I do toothpaste and the liquid in the Thai inhalers (POY-SIAN). Does it matter when you apply the hot teaspoon to the mosquito bite? Or is it a matter of being in a few hours from your experience?

Poison is the mosquito enzyme. After my body changes its chemistry last year while in mid 50's, I have become a mosquito focal point and allergic. Tough getting older sometime.

Thank you for your reach out. 

On 5/26/2018 at 1:21 PM, Stokakrishna said:

Perhaps you get slower, smaller and dumber.

They never really bother me here.  My wife (thai) get bitten sometimes. I almost never get bitten.

And  I do not use any sprays, or other killing/ catching inventions. 

Just let them be.

Focus on things that matter

And shower. Theyvare attracted to sweat...

I'll bet you are being bitten, only you don't know it. You will never feel a mosquito landing on your skin, so if you don't react (get itchy), you'll never know they've been feasting on you. I mostly don't react to their bites either, so unless I see them biting I'm none the wiser.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 8:26 AM, Bob12345 said:

Plus its a great hobby.

I love going around the house with one of those things and see how many "mossies i can score".

I feel you dude. 

I always thought that it can be great sport to practice and to watch.

I'm thinking about creating a league of "mosquito-squash", so you better train hard if you want to be the goat.

• Like 1

Prevention should be the first line of defence. I close my screen doors and windows before dusk, and open them again after dawn.

Fortunately for me, I don't have "sweet blood". They go for my GF every time ( the few that get in ). The only time they'll have a go at me is if she's not there.

55 minutes ago, The manic said:

I encourage geckos to live in my Condo. But do those plug in the wall gizmos work?

Geckos probably clean up some of them, provided you don't mind gecko shit.

Personally, I don't think the blue light gizmos work. I've been buzzed with a blue light on by the bed. The electric racquets certainly do.

I concentrate on dark surfaces when I am hunting mosquitoes. That's what they seem to like.

1 hour ago, The manic said:

I encourage geckos to live in my Condo. But do those plug in the wall gizmos work?

Not sure what ur referring to, but my experience with inexpensive blue light device that puts out a little C02 and has a fan w/collection bowl are excellent. Others here disagree,  but whenever there is a mozzie in the room that evades me and my electric swatter...go to sleep with the blue light device on and without fail, a dead little vamp in the collection bowl the next morn! 

Bites here seem to swell up far more than bites back in the US.   Just had very nice screens installed two weeks ago on all windows and the slider specifically for them.   I live in Bkk.   Cannot imagine what they must be like in other more forested areas.

True to form...had an evasive little vamper inside last night. The little parasite was attracted to the light and CO2, sucked in and dead in the collection dish when checked this morning! Wouldn't be without this inexpensive and brilliant device.

Same mozzie...just shook it loose from the vented sides in the 2nd pic.

PSX_20180529_073717.thumb.jpg.c4e2593a72c451a56b0af57d9494da9e.jpgPSX_20180529_074111.jpg.b489ac22ce4a911285a05f86581c2440.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:45 AM, rosst said:

A little trick I learned is a teaspoon in hot coffee and apply to the bite and hold it to transfer heat which breaks down the venom in the bite. The itching will not occur but if you have a bite that is itching, apply toothpaste. True story. 

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:17 AM, holy cow cm said:

Teaspoon may really really have to try, but the toothpaste for the itch is a 50/50. I do toothpaste and the liquid in the Thai inhalers (POY-SIAN). Does it matter when you apply the hot teaspoon to the mosquito bite? Or is it a matter of being in a few hours from your experience?

Poison is the mosquito enzyme. After my body changes its chemistry last year while in mid 50's, I have become a mosquito focal point and allergic. Tough getting older sometime.

Thank you for your reach out. 

they bite me and the itch lasts for the evening but that's all. Ny Thai partner lives in NZ with me and we have sandflies and man does she react to these and lasts about ten days,with swollen bites. Again for me the sandflies itch for the evening and then are gone. Eating marmite stops the sandflies' biting but never tried it for mossies.

4 minutes ago, retoohs said:

they bite me and the itch lasts for the evening but that's all. Ny Thai partner lives in NZ with me and we have sandflies and man does she react to these and lasts about ten days,with swollen bites. Again for me the sandflies itch for the evening and then are gone. Eating marmite stops the sandflies' biting but never tried it for mossies.

Had the sand flies bite. Got them in Airlie Beach Australia. Went to ta clinic finally in Cairns. Nasty little things. My mosquito bites here in CM now last the same as a sand fly bite. 

• Sad 1

yes its strange a small sand fly will make me have lumps and itch for days

the worst one here is the horse fly or buffalo   fly here 

i get a bite it makes a a great welt for weeks and can turn into a sore