Quality of life and costs between Samui and hua hin

drvin

Maybe you should visit for a month that way you will have experienced living there rather than listening to other people’s opinions . One thing I do know is that you will find it not as expensive as Samui . Good luck with your adventure .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HH has GrabTaxi now, Samui doesn't - if you haven't got a car, or kids are mobile, this can be deal breaker

HH has a songthaw service, that follows set routes and set prices - unless after hours or commissioning for yourself

HH has an AOT owned international airport with flights to KL and more on the way. A return flight to KL prices out cheaper than a single flight from USM to BKK

HH has a excellent bus service to the BKK, all big business class style seats, clean, uneventful, bus station is out of town, but complimentary minibus to clock tower, and use GrabTaxi to the bus station of outbound. 

HH has a railway station although almost always slower than the bus

So summary transportation is hands down better in HH 

Bar prices are roughly the same

A decent meal is cheaper in HH

Beach is nicer in Samui

Bluepark shopping center is roughly the same as the new one in Samui in terms of shops

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

Maybe you should visit for a month that way you will have experienced living there rather than listening to other people’s opinions . One thing I do know is that you will find it not as expensive as Samui . Good luck with your adventure .

I would agree with go visit for a month recommendation, but whilst it is a little more expensive than here on Koh Samui, I found Hua Hin quite characterless and boring in comparison........but as they say, each to their own!

• Like 2

Samui is more expensive. Everything has to be shipped in. Fisherman's Village is a market with much, much,exotic food, i.e. cooked snake and crocodile. Food is good like everywhere in LOS. Many good high views. Many luxury villas. Many coconut palms. Samui is referred to as The Coconut Island.

• Like 1

Few  nice beaches down at Sam Roi Yot,  Im out near Pranburi 25km from Hua  Hin.  Land here is 250-300k per rai, in Hua Hin its a  "stupid" price millions up.

Im not a lover of Hua  Hin, dont see much there to be honest.

If  passing let me know can visit me here if u like. Im only 4km from the main road that you will have to drive on to get to Hua  Hin.

I dont know about schools  as have no  kids, personally Id  stay out of Hua  Hin   by about 15km or so its way cheaper and easy to get into as the new roads have been widened into the city certainly from Pranburi side anyway.

• Like 1

I live in Hua Hin and I find that it has virtually everything that I need. Yes, the traffic can be a pain - especially at weekends when there is an influx of Bangkokians, but you will soon learn the alternative routes. There are a few schools that offer “international” education, but you have to weigh up each on its merits - some are very Thai in their nature!!! One thing that you should consider is your location. Everything is within 20-30 minutes drive, but when it rains heavily some roads in the south of the city can flood badly. If you need any more info, just let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, themerg said:

Samui is more expensive. Everything has to be shipped in. Fisherman's Village is a market with much, much,exotic food, i.e. cooked snake and crocodile. Food is good like everywhere in LOS. Many good high views. Many luxury villas. Many coconut palms. Samui is referred to as The Coconut Island.

Was referred to as Coconut island,...Lot's of coconut plantations have been replaced by construction !?!?

In many beach bars/restaurants I asked for coconut to drink ? most of the time the reply was "coconut no habe" ?!?! - "Ma Prao?  Mai Mee" !!! despite having it on the menu.

Edited by off road pat
  • Like 1

I stopped going to Samui  decades ago as it became too built up and expensive. I haven't heard anything since to make me want to go back.

I visited H H in the 90s when it was barely OK, and again a few years ago when I hated it. I couldn't find anything worthwhile about the place, and as noted the traffic is horrible.

I definitely think you should go stay for a bit before making any decisions. If you think that just because it is beside the sea, it will be like Samui you are in for a shock. There is hardly any beach beside the town at high tide, and it's got horse poo on it.

The other beach isn't anywhere near as good as those on Samui. 

IMO, if you don't like Samui, you are not going to find anything better if you have to have schools etc.

I do still like Phangan, but it's probably not as good for those with kids as Samui.

With kids and schooling probably a good idea to get off the island.  I think Islands are always more expensive for everything except land which in someplace dearer or cheaper than Samui.  That one big road is a real busy place now.  Was there recently after not being there for 12 years.  OMG  So big & busy now.   Ask a different question about where people would recommend you to move off the Island, to,  and when you get several people keen on two or 3 places (including availability of good schools) take a week off, fly over & rent a car for a week and have a look.   If you have narrowed it down stay there for at least a week before moving.